Flying in smokey Australia
1123 10 2020-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stubbietubbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 119288 ft
Australia

As a lot will know, Australia's going through it's worst fire season in  recorded history, millions of hectares gone, half a billion animals dead  and 19 people killed last I checked. It's not a good time and a lot of  the country is blanketed in smoke from these fires.

Today's  probably the worst it's been in terms of smoke in the air where I live  and has only gotten worse as the day has progressed: think of a foggy  morning, but the sky is orange and the smell terrible. In terms of light  it feels like we've been in dawn or dusk all day it's that dim out  there.

Short of any immediate danger from fire  and smoke personally, I'd like to send the mini out and try and get a  shot of the landscape from high above today. We don't live in an area  currently under threat of fire, this is just smoke that has travelled  hundreds/thousands of kms to where we are so sending the mini up will  not impede or compromise the tireless efforts of firefighters.

In  short, I'm wondering if there is any potential hazards to the drone  itself flying in these smokey conditions, will it affect any of the  components or hinder the landing sensors? Again, we're talking only  smoke, not ash or embers or anything that could set it alight. If it's  okay I'll be sure to update this with some imagery later.

Now if you'll excuse me, the smokes getting inside this sealed house and I need to turn some fans on. Stay safe and fly safe!

2020-1-4
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Shouldn't be a problem . smoke particles are too small.

The only thing is vision being obscured in dense smoke
2020-1-4
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

I live in an affected part and have been flying in dense smoke many times and kilometers. no problem encountered at any height.
2020-1-4
Use props
stubbietubbie
lvl.4
Australia

Can't even see the top of the main street in town, terrible visibility at 3pm!

2020-1-4
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Probably none apart from poor visibility for photography
2020-1-4
Use props
stubbietubbie
lvl.4
Australia

Had a rough flight and want to get the flight log to see if I can get help, but I use macOS/iOS and the latest macOS (Catalina) uses a different way of accessing/backing-up iOS devices. I can select the DJI Go App, and find the FlightRecords folder, but there doesn't seem to be a way to open it (right-click only allows for a Delete option).

Anyone with the latest iOS/macOS software having this problem, or know how to get to the flight logs? Even connecting the drone via USB and using Assistant refuses to work.
2020-1-5
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

Hi Stub, I read on one of the other posts a cap in Aus had problems with his MM due to the temperature being 45 deg C. The processor on the MM started overheating
2020-1-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear about the fires and loss of life, just terrible.  Hope things get better soone.  As far as the MM I "think" the only problem will be visibility.
2020-1-5
Use props
AKcolday
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3740 ft
United States

stubbietubbie Posted at 1-5 01:44
Had a rough flight and want to get the flight log to see if I can get help, but I use macOS/iOS and the latest macOS (Catalina) uses a different way of accessing/backing-up iOS devices. I can select the DJI Go App, and find the FlightRecords folder, but there doesn't seem to be a way to open it (right-click only allows for a Delete option).

Anyone with the latest iOS/macOS software having this problem, or know how to get to the flight logs? Even connecting the drone via USB and using Assistant refuses to work.

Drag the folder to your desktop, then open the folder from the desktop.

No worries, it won’t remove it from your phone.
2020-1-5
Use props
stubbietubbie
lvl.4
Australia

AKcolday Posted at 1-5 07:46
Drag the folder to your desktop, then open the folder from the desktop.

No worries, it won’t remove it from your phone.

Nice, thanks!

So here's the log thingy:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TMTYQG1JPYMNP5LAAVA2

I'll admit I made some rookie mistakes, flew out with the wind and was flying back with what I thought was plenty of battery left. The battery warning didn't come on until on the way back and I don't think it was severely windy as I allowed for slower going on the way back.

My guess is due to the fact that I was flying in a blue zone and obviously had to unlock to fly. But once I got all the way out the signal dropped to the remote, and the RTH sequence initiated. The Mini realised it's in a blue zone but had no permission to do so and started the landing sequence. She started dropping far quicker than I liked and I constantly tried to cancel the RTH and restart it to stop it from bashing into the ground, which it ended up doing several times anyway before I gave it up and just let it drop rather roughly on the ground, for whatever reason the sensors weren't picking the ground up at all and the landing was bad.

I think towards the end the App finally spat out a request to unlock the drone again but it was all too late. So I'll know next time that even if you do unlock it, loss of signal to the remote seems to reset everything and yeah, it's a mess. Wish I was recording the phone screen but live and learn.

Amazed to find the Mini all still in one piece when I retrieved it, just a very light scuff on one of the propellors and lots of dust. Hoping it didn't get too engrained in the electronics or stuff the gimbal. We'll see next flight. (Got DJI Care Refresh so that's some peace of mind)
2020-1-5
Use props
djiuser_osmVn2W4V4fw
lvl.1
United States

you Can use the iOS Apple app called files and browse all the folders inside dji fly to get to the logs. Once installed you can directly upload using this app and the safari browser to the phantom help log reader without having to use a computer.  

I haven’t found a way to use dji go 4 in the same way however.
2020-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules