Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini CE achieves 10km range,
12Next >
14874 57 2020-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amazing,  the M2P can't even do 10km.

2020-1-5
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Good place for distance.  Flat and not much interference.

2020-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 1-5 05:59

Pretty good considering it was the lower power CE version.
2020-1-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Amazing!!   At the end, did you slow down the speed yourself??
2020-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 1-5 06:12
Amazing!!   At the end, did you slow down the speed yourself??

Not my video, just one I came across.
2020-1-5
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 1-5 05:59

It also helps that the radio signal is casting down to the Mini instead of up.
2020-1-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ABeardedItalian Posted at 1-5 06:30
It also helps that the radio signal is casting down to the Mini instead of up.

oops, can you explain more?  do not understand it, lack of kwowledge...  ;-)
2020-1-5
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

This video not with original raw transmitter... On the RC antenna output is connected 3W HF amplifier and on its output is connected 19dbi panel directional antenna...
Violates EASA and ETSI laws in the EU ...
2020-1-5
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21814 ft
Turkey

Arcicorsa Posted at 1-5 07:29
This video not with original raw transmitter... On the RC antenna output is connected 3W HF amplifier and on its output is connected 19dbi panel directional antenna...
Violates EASA and ETSI laws in the EU ...

Yep, seems like it in the description. I wonder how drone sends feedback to 10km range. I understand that the remote controller is stronger with a 3db antenna but drone has still stock antennas right?
2020-1-5
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

Yes, on drone is standard antennas. I thinking that his 19dbi antenna is used for receiving data from drone too. Panel antenna is strongly directional, from this reason is his flight low above the terrain (30m) .
2020-1-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow!! That's some distance.
2020-1-5
Use props
FireballXL5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 232562 ft
United States

Hi, I just ordered my first drone, a Mini today.  I do have a question about the video.  I saw that a high wind warning came up on the controller a few times.  My question is: did the speed of the drone contribute to those warnings?  I ask because I have been reading a lot about flying in a wind and the problems that can cause.

Ken ...
2020-1-5
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome, thank you for sharing.  
2020-1-5
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Arcicorsa Posted at 1-5 08:04
Yes, on drone is standard antennas. I thinking that his 19dbi antenna is used for receiving data from drone too. Panel antenna is strongly directional, from this reason is his flight low above the terrain (30m) .[view_image]

Exactly.  An antenna has the same gain both receiving and transmitting.

I think adding an external gain antenna is a good trick.  However, they are violating the laws by doing this because the way most of these statures are written, it is the ERP (effective radiated power) that is limited.  So even if they had NOT used the power amplifier on the RC transmitter, they would have still been violating the ERP regulations by using the high gain antenna to direct the energy in a specific direction.

Now, who did they hurt by doing this test?  Probably nobody because of where they were trying it.  But in an area where there are other users of this frequency band, they may well have caused harmful interference, and that's part of why the regulations are written as they are.

It's fun to see this, and interesting, but not legal, and not legal for some good reasons.
2020-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 1-5 08:54
Wow!! That's some distance.

pretty amazing isn't it.
2020-1-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lucas775 Posted at 1-5 17:10
Awesome, thank you for sharing.

You're very welcome Lucas775
2020-1-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FireballXL5 Posted at 1-5 15:16
Hi, I just ordered my first drone, a Mini today.  I do have a question about the video.  I saw that a high wind warning came up on the controller a few times.  My question is: did the speed of the drone contribute to those warnings?  I ask because I have been reading a lot about flying in a wind and the problems that can cause.

Ken ...

The wind warning seems to be pretty common on this drone,  there are numerous discussions about it here.
2020-1-6
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-6 02:38
pretty amazing isn't it.

Yes it is
2020-1-6
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1124738 ft
Italy

Today I was in CE mode at 40mt height and after only 400mt I lost signal (open area.. very few building)..  sorry but it seems very strange to obtain such 10Km result..
2020-1-6
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

spanzetta Posted at 1-6 07:24
Today I was in CE mode at 40mt height and after only 400mt I lost signal (open area.. very few building)..  sorry but it seems very strange to obtain such 10Km result..

You have to keep in mind he wasn't using standard equipment. He was using a 19dbi panels 3W amps in CE mode. Which in effect is an antenna booster and from what others have discussed here isn't legal either.
2020-1-6
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

DAFlys Posted at 1-5 06:09
Pretty good considering it was the lower power CE version.

pretty good?? that's amazing distance for ce wifi drone (without some hacking?), even if it's done in perfect conditions. imo.

edit: ah, boosted signal.

2020-1-6
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1124738 ft
Italy

JodyB Posted at 1-6 07:36
You have to keep in mind he wasn't using standard equipment. He was using a 19dbi panels 3W amps in CE mode. Which in effect is an antenna booster and from what others have discussed here isn't legal either.

ah ok.. so not standard product... which is completely another story..
2020-1-6
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

I believe that video is just a fake even with the booster antenna. The part that convinced me is the drone battery dying as he gets it back to him, reminds me of most action movies the hero disables the bomb after sweating and struggling for 30 minutes with 2 seconds to spare.
2020-1-6
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Droneflier Posted at 1-6 08:24
I believe that video is just a fake even with the booster antenna. The part that convinced me is the drone battery dying as he gets it back to him, reminds me of most action movies the hero disables the bomb after sweating and struggling for 30 minutes with 2 seconds to spare.

It does raise an eye brow doesn't it?
2020-1-6
Use props
FireballXL5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 232562 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-6 02:39
The wind warning seems to be pretty common on this drone,  there are numerous discussions about it here.

DAFlys:  with the weight (or lack there of) of this drone I can see how the wind can cause issues with it.  I will have to be VERY CAREFUL when I actually start flying.
2020-1-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FireballXL5 Posted at 1-6 10:20
DAFlys:  with the weight (or lack there of) of this drone I can see how the wind can cause issues with it.  I will have to be VERY CAREFUL when I actually start flying.

Gusts seem to cause more problems than a constant wind speed.
2020-1-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive seen the same battery pattern with other long range tests.
2020-1-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I find it hard to believe this is stock DJI.
2020-1-7
Use props
Barbaria
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5213 ft
Norway

As far I know he uses 2 externally mounted batteries in addition to the original. This is a heavily modded system with basically the chassis and motors left untouched.
2020-1-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-7 05:21
I find it hard to believe this is stock DJI.

I think there is a 3rd party antenna installed.
2020-1-7
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

That's impressive indeed!
2020-1-7
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

One of many mysteries of this hobby is why so many people are getting a boner trying to fly as far as possible ... What is the purpose or reasoning behind this urge? On the other hand, I will never understand the thrill of hotdog eating contests either ...
2020-1-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-7 06:59
I think there is a 3rd party antenna installed.

Yeah, must be.
2020-1-7
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-7 12:07
One of many mysteries of this hobby is why so many people are getting a boner trying to fly as far as possible ... What is the purpose or reasoning behind this urge? On the other hand, I will never understand the thrill of hotdog eating contests either  ...

The purpose of a boner is to release ..............errrr, just google it
2020-1-7
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

I have no knowledge of how the DJI "WiFi" system works on these drones.  And I don't know if the video is faked or not.

But what I do know is that hams (amateur radio enthusiasts) have frequently modified standard WiFi routers to achieve extremely long-range WiFi connections to reach, for example, hamfests or other special events that were located far from any cell phone or other coverage.  This is done by using external amplifiers to boost both the transmitted and received signals AND using special antennas such as the famous Pringles Can antenna.

But one of the things that has to be done to allow long-range use of WiFi for normal internet access is to modify the firmware (or at least change some parameters) of the WiFi router to make it wait longer for responses from the connected devices (actually, in both directions) to compensate for the longer "time of flight" of the actual radio waves.  Yes, you must compensate for the length of time it takes for the RF signals to fly back and forth, even though they're moving at approximately the speed of light!

Once you get beyond a certain distance, when extending the range of a (normal) WiFi connection, the time of flight of the radio signals can be an issue.

Again, I don't know if the video is real, and if so, I don't know anything about how DJI's "WiFi" system works.  I'm sure it's not normal WiFi, though.  So I have no idea if you'd need to modify the firmware in the drone and the RC to achieve long range operation the way you do when you're extending the range of a normal WiFi internet hookup.

But just be advised that the hams do this frequently.  So it's not by any means impossible.

Just do a web search for "Pringles Can Antenna" or "Cantenna" and see what pops up.
2020-1-7
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Skip this sensational video to 5:11 and you may notice an elaborate WiFi range extender employed here to achieve such spectacular, but otherwise impossible goal ...
2020-1-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-7 15:12
Skip this sensational video to 5:11 and you may notice an elaborate WiFi range extender employed here to achieve such spectacular, but otherwise impossible goal ...

Yes,  he has another video on how to modify the controller.
2020-1-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

He's got another video how to modify the controller.
2020-1-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-8 01:37
He's got another video how to modify the controller.

Ah ok.
I have not seen that yet
2020-1-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-8 01:59
Ah ok.
I have not seen that yet

Its quite interesting to see what's inside the controller.  Theres a lot going on in there.
2020-1-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules