Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
1st flight with Mini - why can I only save up to 1080p on DJI Fly?
9779 19 2020-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
moniek1996
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509577 ft
United Kingdom

Evening fight with Mavic Mini

Good evening everyone,

I wanted to share with you one of my first flights using the new Mavic Mini.

https://youtu.be/8-N6uO3LYdg

I used to have another drone, but it was nowhere near as good as the mini. I used the DJI Fly app to montage the clip and was wondering about something: the DJI Fly app only allowed me to save the edited clip in max 1080p, although all clips I recorded were in 2.7K... I have huawei p20 pro and my phone is more than capable of recording above 1080p. Could anyone advice me on this? I find the app very useful if you quickly want to edit & share some clips via social media, but it is dissapointing that I cannot share the full potential of the drone.

Thanks
2020-1-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It is only the FPV feed that is in 1080p, and is only meant to give you a preview of the material you are recording. The real video clip is the one on the SD card in the aircraft and will be in 2.7K. Pop out the card and copy off the clip.
2020-1-5
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

The build in editor is for quick editing and sharing on social medias where a resolution of 1080p is more then enough (quality and filesize). Do you think you really can see a difference between 1080p and 2.7k or even 4k on a small display ? Apart from the fact that most people have set 1920x1080 on their phone.
2020-1-5
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-5 14:06
It is only the FPV feed that is in 1080p, and is only meant to give you a preview of the material you are recording. The real video clip is the one on the SD card in the aircraft and will be in 2.7K. Pop out the card and copy off the clip.

I believe that the FPV feed is only 720p on the Mavic Mini.  Mavic 2 is the one that is 1080p.
2020-1-5
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The cache is 720P I did download the full file separately, that's why I wasn't sure why there wasn't an option to save the clip in a higher resolution. Do you know if in other versions of DJI app (the ones for other mavics or phantom) they allow it to edit & save the file in a higher resolution than 1080p? I'm wondering if there are any chances that DJI might upgrade it (I know they have the never-ending wish-list from other users).

Thank you for the info!
2020-1-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

BobWinNV Posted at 1-5 14:19
I believe that the FPV feed is only 720p on the Mavic Mini.  Mavic 2 is the one that is 1080p.

OK. I don't have a Mini, so I did not know that, thank you.
2020-1-5
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am using iOS and I take my video off the micro SD and edit it with the iOS app LumaFusion which allows me to edit the full 2.7k video and save it off as same.
2020-1-5
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 1-5 16:14
I am using iOS and I take my video off the micro SD and edit it with the iOS app LumaFusion which allows me to edit the full 2.7k video and safe it off as same.

Thank you! I'll check if it's available on android as well
2020-1-6
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Did you "download" the video to your device for editing in DJI Fly ?

I believe this transfers the full resolution movie from the AC SD card to the phone or tablet, instead of just having the device cached video.
Then you can turn the AC off while editing

2020-1-6
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
United Kingdom

lannes Posted at 1-6 04:27
Did you "download" the video to your device for editing in DJI Fly ?

I believe this transfers the full resolution movie from the AC SD card to the phone or tablet, instead of just having the device cached video.

Yes, I've downloaded the video in full resolution, that's why I was surprised that the app didn't allow me to save the edited file in full HD or 2.7k
2020-1-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

moniek1996 Posted at 1-7 05:13
Yes, I've downloaded the video in full resolution, that's why I was surprised that the app didn't allow me to save the edited file in full HD or 2.7k

I believe the app will only process what it thinks the device it is running on is capable of handling? Seems like that was the case on iOS where some users with older phones reported lower than expected resolutions while those with newer phones reported the availability of higher res video.

Keep in mind also that while your phone may be capable of recording 4K on its own, it may not be the same 4K that the drone offers (frame rate, throughput, etc.).

2020-1-7
Use props
wee.minidrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151220 ft
United States

bump - any update on this? today i took my brand new Mavic mini out for a flight and recorded some video at 2.7K.  When i got home, i used the built in video editing in DJI Fly to cut the video and add some music. However, when i export, i only have 1080p as an option, and not 2.7K.

Is this a limitation of the video editing app? If so, can anyone recommend a better editing app that will preserve 2.7K?

Thanks
2020-3-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

wee.minidrone Posted at 3-30 19:58
bump - any update on this? today i took my brand new Mavic mini out for a flight and recorded some video at 2.7K.  When i got home, i used the built in video editing in DJI Fly to cut the video and add some music. However, when i export, i only have 1080p as an option, and not 2.7K.

Is this a limitation of the video editing app? If so, can anyone recommend a better editing app that will preserve 2.7K?

I believe it is a limitation of the app, but if you want higher resolution, copy the video from the SD card to a computer and use a decent video editor on the computer. Your phone will run out of memory having the original video plus the edited version.
2020-3-30
Use props
djiuser_zYIdRghMzTY0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8117 ft
Canada

BobWinNV Posted at 1-5 16:14
I am using iOS and I take my video off the micro SD and edit it with the iOS app LumaFusion which allows me to edit the full 2.7k video and save it off as same.

Does lumafusion have good royalty free music like DJI Fly?
2020-5-31
Use props
djiuser_HuojAC8RhWZv
New

Australia

Just having the same issues now, any tips for me? I was editing using the dji fly app on my Samsung so. Videos came out in 1080p, definitely doesn't look as clear
2021-1-20
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

On YouTube 1080P is more than enough very few people watch YouTube content on a 4k TV, but rather on their phones.
2021-1-20
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Stop trying to do high quality video editing on your phone.  Copy the files from the uSD card to your computer and use a real video editing program there which can handle the higher resolution.
Problem solved.
2021-1-20
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Fly, Mimo, Go4 editors can only output at 1080p, no way around it using the DJI editors. I record in 1080p on Mini 2, take microsd card out and copy to editor on a tablet.

On the Mavic 2 pro I record 4k on the drone and the cache to the phone is 1080p unfortunately the Mini 2 cache to phone is only 720p.
2021-1-26
Use props
djiuser_wS8xOt2OxwNy
New

Sweden

have the same issue. but its looks like app is limited to export after editng to 1080p. what a shame! other programs allow me to create/export in 4k from my android phone. Sony Xperia 1IV

!!!!DJI TEAM!!! PLEASE UPGRADE APP TO EXPORT IN 4K AFTER EDITING!!!!!PLEASE!!!!!
2023-5-6
Use props
No Original Thought
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Wow. Old thread resurrected!

DJI now recommend the Light Cut video editor

I haven't tried it - I prefer to edit on a full editor on my PC, but Light Cut can export in 4K according to this DJI announcement.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=285617

Note that the app doesn't fully integrate with the Mini or Mini 2, but if you copy the files from the drone SD card onto your phone/tablet manually then you can edit in full res anyway.
2023-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules