Video editing software?
20850 38 2020-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FireballXL5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 232562 ft
United States

I just ordered my Mini today.  I have never done any video/photo editing, but ready to learn.  I would like to know what the more experienced people would recommend?   Since i don't  plan on doing anything but editing for my own enjoyment (not for profit) i don't want anything that i have to spend a a lot of money on.  I have a Windows 10 PC that i will be using.   Thanks.   Ken...
2020-1-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ken. Thank you for ordering the DJI Mavic Mini and for this inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendation on what is the best video editing software our valued DJI co pilots uses. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-1-5
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

I've used both but aware of bloatfare that may accompany "free" software and research your down site to get "safe" softfare..

https://shotcut.org/download/
https://avidemux.en.lo4d.com/windows
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/
2020-1-5
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

I had this same question.  I finally paid money for a video editor after reading a few roundups of "best video editors for 2019".  One never knows if the reviewers are biased, or being paid off by some of the vendors, so I looked at a few of them.  So I picked one that seemed good, and was pretty cheap.  I just wanted one on my laptop.

But I later found out that there's a fairly powerful, and really quite nice to use video editor built into the DJI Fly app itself.  I've played with it some, and it's actually quite good.  Its output is limited to 1080P, but that's good enough for most sharing or posting to YouTube, etc.  It does work starting with files you've shot in 2.7K, however.

So I'd recommend trying the video editor built into the DJI fly app.  It's never ideal to be doing something like editing a video right on your phone.  But this editor actually works well on my phone.

Hey, it's essentially free because you already have it.  So you might give that a try before investing time and or money in another video editor.

The one I did get for my laptop is called "VideoPad".  It wasn't very expensive, and seems fine so far, as well.

2020-1-5
Use props
FireballXL5
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for the replies.  I'll  check them out.  Ken ...
2020-1-5
Use props
fabcarb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 881818 ft
United States

Hi Ken,

I also recommend both DJI apps. I also have some apps in my iPad that may be useful to you: Videolap, Lumafusion and Splice. I'm currently using Splice a lot because it is extremely user friendly and it has a good sound and music library. These are two videos made using Splice: -

I've used the Windows Movie Maker in the past - it's built in the OS, easy and free, so you should check it out too. Videopad is also a good one, as Sigmo just pointed out above. Good luck!
2020-1-5
Use props
fabcarb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 881818 ft
United States

Hi Ken,

I also recommend both DJI apps. I also have some apps in my iPad that may be useful to you: Videolap, Lumafusion and Splice. I'm currently using Splice a lot because it is extremely user friendly and it has a good sound and music library. These are two videos made using Splice: -

I've used the Windows Movie Maker in the past - it's built in the OS, easy and free, so you should check it out too. Videopad is also a good one, as Sigmo just pointed out above. Good luck!
2020-1-5
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

Adobe Premiere Pro CC, plus it supports LUT this is a pre-installation for tinting video, i.e. it makes the faded green trees become even greener, and the blue water a delicate blue color..
PS Personally, I did not like DaVinci, and the speed of tablet processors, except for Apple A12, is terribly low, and smartphone screens are too small for comfortable editing.
2020-1-5
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

I just noticed your handle on here.  Fireball XL5.  I remember watching that when I was a kid!
2020-1-5
Use props
SUNNY 2461
lvl.3
Flight distance : 275197 ft
Bangladesh

Akirasho Posted at 1-5 17:35
https://youtu.be/NoyDMKqo80U

https://youtu.be/JtsB2iZRb9c

Thanks for shearing
2020-1-5
Use props
SUNNY 2461
lvl.3
Flight distance : 275197 ft
Bangladesh

I generally use PowerDirector. Thought yet do not know how to export 2.7k video from this software. I usually export 1080p or 4K. but can not do 2.7k as i do not know how to do so.
2020-1-5
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Used to edit on video pad but using only Openshot now. It's free and updated regularly. Love video editing, have fun
2020-1-6
Use props
themich0r
lvl.3
Flight distance : 62526 ft
Germany

I use Magix Fastcut for auto cutting videos. Good algorithms for lazy people like me
2020-1-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 for Davinci Resolve.
2020-1-6
Use props
SveinDJI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1273379 ft
Norway

I've had Premiere Pro cs6 since "forever", so i still use it. One day, if i feel the need i will probably try out the new Premiere Pro. But if you are new, Davinci Resolve looks like a good place to start editing since it's free. Its powerful also!
2020-1-6
Use props
fansbd5c48d6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481995 ft
United States

I use VideoPad. It’s free and works fairly well on my older (slow)  PC. I tried some of the other recommendations but my computer didn’t have the hp to run them.
2020-1-6
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

fansbd5c48d6 Posted at 1-6 07:46
I use VideoPad. It’s free and works fairly well on my older (slow)  PC. I tried some of the other recommendations but my computer didn’t have the hp to run them.

you can tweak settings in resolve for ex (optimize media), so even older computers can run clips etc, for smooth editing.
find some youtube videos about that..
2020-1-6
Use props
FireballXL5
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for all the replies.  I'll check a few of these out!  
2020-1-6
Use props
Studio66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21670 ft
Belgium

i use premiere cc and final cut (only for mac). i heard good things about davinci also so i will give that a try also.

but i must say that the dji app does a nice job for some quick edits. example: https://youtu.be/Of4_d313_iA
2020-1-6
Use props
AlbertPerK21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6191 ft
United States

Lumafusion if on mobile. Final Cut Pro on the Mac and or Adobe Premiere. I haven't played with DiVinci Resolve yet, but I've heard great things.
2020-1-6
Use props
Thomas Tommy
lvl.1

Japan

I use Windows Movie Maker. It is free and simple to use. If you are running some earlier versions of Windows, like Win7, WMM is prebuilt in your system. If you are using Win10 or Win8, you can still acquire it after downloading Windows Live Essential Tools (it is totally free and made by Microsoft). Edit: The previous link I insert is no longer available, you can reach https://archive.org/download/MM2.1And2.6_201903  to get the latest pack.

Have a look at its interface, very simple to approach and versatile to use. There are also many tutorials on YouTube that you can follow.

2020-1-12
Use props
kkmin
lvl.2

United States

I use Joyoshare Media Cutter. It is a video cutter and editor, which can trim, crop, add effect, and more to the video.
2020-5-13
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 787152 ft
Malaysia

fabcarb Posted at 1-5 21:38
Hi Ken,

I also recommend both DJI apps. I also have some apps in my iPad that may be useful to you: Videolap, Lumafusion and Splice. I'm currently using Splice a lot because it is extremely user friendly and it has a good sound and music library. These are two videos made using Splice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO2xA4XQfiU - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyOH50xlLNc

Is splice free to use in iOS?
Thank you
2020-5-13
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

For traveling the fly app works fine It does favor apple systems in the editor. by this I mean if you want to set the beat in rhythms when androids are not able to. Like others mentioned using both the second being dji Mimo app it DOES allow android's to have the beat function. If you didn't know you were guided to Mimo app with dji action camera and camera tools.
2020-5-13
Use props
mirandaright87hotmail.com
lvl.4

Sweden

I used  LightWorks, even paid for it, but the free DaVinci Resolve is top notch.
2020-7-21
Use props
Jane Smith
lvl.2

United States

Hi Ken,
Strongly recommend you to try TunesKit AceMovi, as you're just able to video editing field. This is really an easy-to-use video editor with a friendly interface. You can easily use it to create and edit your own videos with various filters, split-screen feature, animations, text or music clips, etc. The good news is that this program is now free for users. You can go to its website and have a try!
2020-12-28
Use props
Chris Lampard
lvl.1

Russia

I think that Movavi Video Editor Plus is the best video editing software for beginners. Super easy to use, no learning needed. Very good and quite simple program to make drone videos. The easy mode can save me a lot of time. You can create stunning videos in 5 simple steps, even if you’ve never done it before.
2021-7-3
Use props
Drewsamm
lvl.2

United States

Joyoshare VidiKit is a good option for beginners. It is a video toolbox that has a built-in video cutter, video joiner, video converter, video recorder, video compressor, video repair tool, etc. But if you want more professional features, you can try Shotcut, Adobe Premiere Pro, etc.
2021-7-13
Use props
ttsyny
lvl.2
United States

used iMovie on my Mac, and Premiere Elements on my Windows 10 PC. Nowadays I am learning DaVinci Resolve 17. DaVinci Resolve is free, but the learning curve is steeper.
2021-7-14
Use props
ttsyny
lvl.2
United States

Sigmo Posted at 2020-1-5 18:43
I had this same question.  I finally paid money for a video editor after reading a few roundups of "best video editors for 2019".  One never knows if the reviewers are biased, or being paid off by some of the vendors, so I looked at a few of them.  So I picked one that seemed good, and was pretty cheap.  I just wanted one on my laptop.

But I later found out that there's a fairly powerful, and really quite nice to use video editor built into the DJI Fly app itself.  I've played with it some, and it's actually quite good.  Its output is limited to 1080P, but that's good enough for most sharing or posting to YouTube, etc.  It does work starting with files you've shot in 2.7K, however.

I also discovered that DJI Fly is a capable video editor, and I managed to cut a short video from the cached low-res video footage on my iPhone.

One problem of the DJI Fly editor is: you cannot save your project. You have to finish your editing in a single session, and save the output video file. I did not find a way to leave the project and come back another time to finish the cutting.

In the end, I output the footage to Photos app and use iMovie on my iPhone to do the cutting.

Also, DJI Fly has some nice royalty free sound tracks.

2021-7-14
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 295161 ft
Germany

i am using davinci resolve 17
2021-7-18
Use props
Ruzhye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

Another vote for DaVinci Resolve.  It gives you a very high power editor for free.
2021-7-18
Use props
Farlandez
lvl.1

Bangladesh

Lumafusion is the best for beginners.
2021-7-18
Use props
FireballXL5
lvl.3
United States

I would like to thank everyone for your replies.  I have been using DaVinci Resolve.  I bit of a learning curve, but lots of features.

I'm not sure why I started getting new replies to this thread.  I posted it originally in January of 2020.
2021-7-19
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 2020-1-5 16:24
Hello and good day Ken. Thank you for ordering the DJI Mavic Mini and for this inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendation on what is the best video editing software our valued DJI co pilots uses. Thank you for your valued support.

Yet another automated reply from DJI!
2021-8-29
Use props
Jeandavis
New

Pakistan

Joyoshare Media Cutter is what I use. It's a video editing and cutter software that allows you to chop, crop, apply extra, and more to your videos.
2021-10-13
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i did not comment the first round so i'll add my support for davinci resolve.  we are up to version 17 and for those who took the advice last year, you are probably pretty good at using the software at this point (a year later) and you really you absolutely cannot go wrong with dr.  the good news is it isn't too late for others who are looking to improve their videos starting today.  download a free forever copy of dr17 and get started today and next year at this time when we revisit this thread, you will be so so glad.  yeah, it's that good.  bit of a learning curve (in months) but well worth it.
2021-10-13
Use props
Turbo1ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1322582 ft
Canada

I use ffmpeg. Free, very powerful tool, allows me to concatenate videos without re-encoding, add cross-fade transitions, text, etc...
But not user-friendly at all!
2021-10-14
Use props
MortyShadow587
New

United States

Practically the perfection in the world of video editing from Adobe. If you're familiar with the company's other products, you'll quickly get the hang of the interface. It supports virtually all formats up to 8K, virtual reality, and 360 videos. RGB and YUV color schemes, 32-bit color depth.
2022-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules