Distance limit reached DJI Fly
25189 34 2020-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nullx8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 383635 ft
Thailand

i have found numerous of Threads here in the phantom and Mavic forums but they not seem to adress the problem.

since the Firmware update the Mavic Mini doesn't fly more than 50 Meters away or 30 Meters High.

Max altitude is set to 110 Meter Max distance is set to "no Limit"
RTH currently at 17 Meters

i tried the suggestions i found already such as make sure no beginner mode (i also reset the Tutorial status, made sure i actually wait them all out)
logged out of the app, closed the app (iPhone 7)
shut down controller drone and app, start drone controller and then the app.. wait everything to be connected

log back in to my DJI account ... same problem, 50meter and it will call out "Max Distance Reached" and the numbers show in red.
phone has wifi and GSM connection, GPS works fine on both phone and the drone.

i don't really dare to fly more out as RTH would be fatal arround my house.

any ideas ?

2020-1-7
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

Never mind, i figured it out, it turn's out that this limitation is also active when the drone is carry somethings (such as blade protector, camera or whatever)
2020-1-7
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

nullx8 Posted at 1-7 01:21
Never mind, i figured it out, it turn's out that this limitation is also active when the drone is carry somethings (such as blade protector, camera or whatever)

Was that the "payload" setting ?
2020-1-7
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

No, payload was off, I guess the fly app does enable it automatically. I never did turn it on, and when on the ground the setting is off as well.
2020-1-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

nullx8 Posted at 1-7 02:47
No, payload was off, I guess the fly app does enable it automatically. I never did turn it on, and when on the ground the setting is off as well.

Per page 32 of the MM Manual under Safety:  After takeoff, payload mode is enabled automatically if a payload is detected.  
2020-1-7
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

yeah that's it, i just didn't know it will impose a flight restriction.
so my idea of getting smokes without leaving the house doesn't really work with the mini
2020-1-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

with software v04, I have experienced this off and on.  sometimes it comes on and sometimes it doesn't.  usually it doesn't and I can fly but it is annoying when it comes on as I have strobes mounted to my drone and it's not so easy to just take them off and keep flying.  I have more experience with v03 where is rarely saw this setting come on and on v02 it turned on quite a bit.  personally I think you should be able to override it completely regardless but with v04, we'll see.
2020-1-7
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

i just tested this again .. it turns out if i turn off the payload in safety, it works just fine .. i could not yet test if the drone "acts" if the limit is crossed, my home is full with cables hanging everywhere, so RTH is pretty sure fatal .. ill test this in a few days on a empty space, if i cross the limit for too long if the drone lands or does RTH
2020-1-7
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

funny while playing around I exit the camera view in DJI Fly and went back in
then this message pop up

that's a clear statement, but the initial message you get in-flight just makes you scratch your head ;)

well glad i figured out
2020-1-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am happy to know that your previous trouble was resolved. If you have further concern or inquiry, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. we are here to help. Thank you.
2020-1-8
Use props
mike
New
Flight distance : 7018 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-8 15:59
Hi. I am happy to know that your previous trouble was resolved. If you have further concern or inquiry, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. we are here to help. Thank you.

I just purchased the Mini & it automatically uploaded the latest Firmware.  I am experiencing exactly what nulx8 is experiencing.  So if I understand this correctly, the way to remove the Maximum Distance Reached is to turn off the over weight limit if you have the protective cage on (which I do)?
This is sooo frustrating that it stops at 100' out.  My $39 1st drone doesn't do that!!
I was also told to see if it is set to Beginner mode.  Where do you find that?
Thank you for helping an newbie in the drone hobby
2020-5-5
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

mike@mikeyouragent.com Posted at 5-5 18:35
I just purchased the Mini & it automatically uploaded the latest Firmware.  I am experiencing exactly what nulx8 is experiencing.  So if I understand this correctly, the way to remove the Maximum Distance Reached is to turn off the over weight limit if you have the protective cage on (which I do)?
This is sooo frustrating that it stops at 100' out.  My $39 1st drone doesn't do that!!

I think it is set automatically. I don't think you can turn it off. That is to keep it from flying too far or high with the extra weight.
2020-5-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wonder if that depends on the location or something. I once flew with a hefty pontoon set attached and had no problems going 1000' away. The pontoon set weighed twice what the prop guards weigh.
2020-5-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mike@mikeyouragent.com Posted at 5-5 18:35
I just purchased the Mini & it automatically uploaded the latest Firmware.  I am experiencing exactly what nulx8 is experiencing.  So if I understand this correctly, the way to remove the Maximum Distance Reached is to turn off the over weight limit if you have the protective cage on (which I do)?

if you have the protective cage on (which I do)
Take that stupid cage off the drone.
The Mini is underpowered on its own and is severely handicapped by the cage.
It will at least have a chance to fly properly without lumbering it with that extra ballast and wind resistance.
2020-5-5
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The drone has to carry extra weight if you put prop guards or anything else on it. It automatically turns on payload mode and restricts the distance you can fly because it is harder for the drone to function with extra weight. Prop guards should only be used indoors. If you are new to flying the drone outdoors find a wide open area to fly that you won't have any issues hitting into anything.
2020-5-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-5 20:03
if you have the protective cage on (which I do)
The Mini is underpowered on its own and is severely handicapped by the cage.

https://store.dji.com/product/ma ... K6cHfMaAhHDEALw_wcB

DJI approved

You guys keep preaching to us about the operator needing to know his/her drone's environment and limitations. And yet when we use it safely in very light wind, you still harp on the use of encumbances. You can't have it both ways. I have flown many miles with either pontoons or a "life jacket" attached with no ill effects, actually most of the miles I have recorded... so far. Would it work in high winds? Of course not, but then if we did as you preach, that would never happen would it?

And another thing. Taking advice from someone who admitedly does not even own a Mini seems unwise at best. Sorry for the rant.

2020-5-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 5-5 20:27
https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-mini-360-propeller-guard?set_country=US&gclid=Cj0KCQjwncT1BRDhARIsAOQF9Lm19BMLCPAgDx3bUcRORhrnB19AipLadK7XfiGGJVgyGVKkCK6cHfMaAhHDEALw_wcB

DJI approved

Yes .. and ???
DJI keep selling the Mini without fixing the fatal flaws that cause so many to fail to maintain altitude too.

The effect of the prop cage on the underpowered Mini is no secret.
The only place to should be used is indoors.
2020-5-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry to be offensive but this Covid thing has me on edge, especially since our government is out of control with it and behaving irresponsibly. Right now I wish I was in your country ;-) Peace.
2020-5-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 5-5 20:49
I'm sorry to be offensive but this Covid thing has me on edge, especially since our government is out of control with it and behaving irresponsibly. Right now I wish I was in your country ;-) Peace.

I'm sorry to be offensive but this Covid thing has me on edge, especially since our government is out of control with it and behaving irresponsibly.
Right now I wish I was in your country

That's perfectly understandable.
The latest developments don't do anything to give any confidence.
I'm concerned for my brother and his family who live in your state.

2020-5-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-5 21:17
I'm sorry to be offensive but this Covid thing has me on edge, especially since our government is out of control with it and behaving irresponsibly.
Right now I wish I was in your country
That's perfectly understandable.

Florida is almost the worst with a a puppet governor who kowtows to his boss. Spineless wonder. Actually Georgia is the worst. Their governor says they have beat this even though the infection rates are twice the rate in Florida...and going up. Mindless horror.

Off topic...sorry mods.

2020-5-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Deucalion Posted at 5-5 18:48
I think it is set automatically. I don't think you can turn it off. That is to keep it from flying too far or high with the extra weight.

contrary to my previous post, when payload turns on automatically, I'm finding I can turn it off and it remains off the duration of that flight session.  this is with payloads other than guards.
2020-5-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-5 21:50
contrary to my previous post, when payload turns on automatically, I'm finding I can turn it off and it remains off the duration of that flight session.  this is with payloads other than guards.

Interesting. Did you just find that now? I will try to check mine in the morning.
2020-5-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-5 22:01
Interesting. Did you just find that now? I will try to check mine in the morning.

been working that way for the past couple of software versions.  I think my payload might be right on the edge because sometimes it doesn't turn on at all.  I can power up, take off, and fly away well beyond range.  if payload warning turns on, I can turn it off and for me, it doesn't come back on at all.  iirc, been this way since January.
2020-5-6
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

Labroides Posted at 5-5 20:03
if you have the protective cage on (which I do)
The Mini is underpowered on its own and is severely handicapped by the cage.

very true, in my case i actually bought the mini for the sole purpose to do stuff i wouldn't dare to do with the Pro ;)  so the cage is somewhat mandatory in some situations ;)

but none of them are a. far away or b. fast, so the power issue isn't really one.
2020-5-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

also just want to make this statement, happens to my mini for sure.

i have 3 strobes and 1 beacon semi-permanently strapped to my mini so it is definitely "overweight."

however, every time i take off, i get the payload warning message and the subsequent flight limitation about 25% of the time, 1 out of every 4 take-offs.

meaning it's doesn't always kick in.  when it does i simply hover, turn it off, keep flying.

also there have been a couple of times after flying long range for awhile, when i come back close to home half-way thru the battery, i get stopped on the way out when payload message kicks in.  hover, turn off, keep flying.  would like to clarify, i never hear the message when i'm beyond payload range and once i turn off payload toggle in flight, it doesn't repeat during that same flight.

just a few observations on my part, it's not a pain or annoyance because it rarely happens.
2020-5-15
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Very useful info, thanks for sharing.
2020-5-15
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Oh GaryD you'd be happy any place the sun was shinning and you could fly and afterwards your beverage arm was working properly :-)  so would I looking forward to the high plains
2020-5-15
Use props
wizbe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77310 ft
Belgium

Hi all and thank you!

i have exactly the same problem but only when i go away from my home ...
around my home i get easy distance of 300m
When i move at some kilometers of my house i get the 50/30 m limitation :-(
i do all i see on internet (remove app, reboot, multiple way of powering on and connecting) ... but no way
The only difference i see is that when i am home, i'm connected with the wifi and when i'm away it's with 4G (i have enough GB and it receive well because when the drone bug, i check every time on internet through 4G :-))
I found another trick (hack ?), when i reach the 50 m limit, i update the rth point in the menu of dji fly and i can go 50 m away again so to go to 500m i have to do it 10 times ... :-) but in case of rth i think i'll get a problem ... :-)
Last things, it's a mini 2 - firmware update ok - iphone 11 pro
I bought it in the same time with a friend and he use it with latest firmware and android and he never get the problem ever
Thank you and have a nice day !
2021-2-20
Use props
fans399b1958
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30413 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 2020-5-5 21:49
Florida is almost the worst with a a puppet governor who kowtows to his boss. Spineless wonder. Actually Georgia is the worst. Their governor says they have beat this even though the infection rates are twice the rate in Florida...and going up. Mindless horror.

Off topic...sorry mods.

Our Gov is doing it wrong? Florida is the best. You must be in NY where they are killing in wholesale fashion. Of course, the folks responsible for the whole thing don't get a mention?? Don't apologize, just stay on topic next time.
2021-2-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans399b1958 Posted at 2-20 12:30
Our Gov is doing it wrong? Florida is the best. You must be in NY where they are killing in wholesale fashion. Of course, the folks responsible for the whole thing don't get a mention?? Don't apologize, just stay on topic next time.

I live in Florida as I have for the whole 73 years. DeSadist is a joke.
2021-2-20
Use props
wizbe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77310 ft
Belgium

wizbe Posted at 2-20 07:42
Hi all and thank you!

i have exactly the same problem but only when i go away from my home ...

Hi,

The problem dissapear totally with android
I made multiple flights and it never happens again.
I use now a simple galaxy a 50 .
2021-2-28
Use props
Flip FPV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113648 ft
Belgium

I had the same issue on Mini 1 & Mini 2 using a Iphone XR.
Switching the phone to airplane mode solved it, don’t ask me why.
2021-3-7
Use props
Toe Knee
lvl.2

Canada

This post is why I signed up as I just got my mini 2, 2 days ago, and had the same issue. 30 meters up, 30 around.   I had the payload thing ticked, on then off as I was using prop guards. Someone told me to remove for a test, so I did. What a surprise! I got 240 meters forward and 70 up.  I had to return it home as 30km winds were just a bit on the fast side. I wish I can put my landing thing on it, but even the payload switch doesn't make a difference.
2021-9-21
Use props
djiuser_DolOW4U5W5wP
New
Flight distance : 8323 ft
United States

I'm new and can't post a new thread and there are quite a few like this, so bumping this one.

Brand new Air 2S and experiencing the distance limits on every flight; 30m up and 50m out.
iPhone XS with most recent DJI Fly download.
I am logged in.
Distances are set beyond the restrictions.
Outside of restricted zones; multiple take off areas.
All firmware is updated.
Logged out, logged in, no go.
Deleted app, reinstalled, logged in, no go.
Airplane mode, no go.
Unplug controller, re plug, no go.
Calibrate compass etc, no go.
20+ satellites on GPS connection, no go.
Inside flight, still says 30m limit.
Outside flight in the middle of absolutely no where, no go.

I'm at my wit's end. After reading through all of the threads around this, I cannot find a solution. I've tried the airplane mode, log out and log back in, turn everything on in a certain sequence, fly in different areas, use different batteries, reload the app, turn off the phone, etc etc. I have an old Inspire 1 that wasn't fired up for four years and it works absolutely perfectly.

Is there any insight? Please?
2021-10-28
Use props
djiuser_LRTIx5BBQV86
lvl.1
Flight distance : 558333 ft
Brazil

Can the extra load message be given through an overload on the motor?  Because I don't carry any extra weight on the drone.
2021-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules