Landing Pad Size for Mini
6870 20 2020-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

Hello again. I am planning to buy the Mini and am worndering which landing pad to buy. I have seen discussion threads as to whether or not one is needed. For me, I have decided I do want one.
The circular PGYTECH landing pads that DJI sells as accessories come in 55CM (21.7inch), 75CM (29.5inch) and 110CM (43.3inch) priced at $16, $20 and $27USD respectively. Looking for opinions on which size to get. Does anyone think the square PGYTECH Drone Landing Pad (Advanced) 50x50CM pad is better? The material looks thicker but the pad itself is pretty small, maybe too small for the precision landing capability of the Mini.

Not sure how precisely these guys are capable of landing so I'm thinking the 75CM might be a good choice. The cost is close enough that if people's experience is 'bigger is better,' then no problem getting the 110CM version.
Thoughts and opinions please?

Thank you,

Brian

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 1.12.51 PM.png
2020-1-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for choosing DJI and thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots, who has purchased these landing pads can provide you with the best feedback with regards to this inquiry. In addition, If you have a bigger drone or plan to get a bigger drone model in the future you may want to try the 75cm or 110cm model to ensure that you can utilize the said landing pad in the future. Thank you.
2020-1-7
Use props
speed_freakz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 569852 ft
Thailand

55 more than enough.
2020-1-7
Use props
SafariMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hi, you can easily make one out of a cardboard first and depending on the precision of your RTH landing then buy the right size which suits you the best if needed.
2020-1-7
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

I rarely land *), but start nearly always from the pad. It was a good investment, because the ground of "my airport" is often a little bit dirty or the gras is wet because of dew.  I have the 55cm model, but of course it requiers more manouvering as the 75cm model....but on the other side...its a good exercise for a precise landing. 110cm ? Perhaps for an A380 ;-)
*) Handlanding is much easyier and faster
2020-1-7
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Hi. I use the 55cm with my Mavic Pro 1, maybe I should have gone for the 75cm but for me it works fine. £5 gbp from ebay.
2020-1-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought the 75cm for my grandson to use with his MM.  I take off and land using my hand for my MM.  Got used to this way quick as I launch/land from my boat quite regularly.
2020-1-7
Use props
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

Thanks to all who responded - appreciate your expert support!!
2020-1-7
Use props
hanzCZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74882 ft
Czechia

I bought the 55cm for 9€ and looks good. For MM enough.

2020-1-7
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm a novice so that may influence my opinion. But I prefer the largest size available. I have the 75 (?) cm size and sometimes that is barely enough to land. Maybe I just need more practice ;-) The larger ones can be "folded" up to save space but even then are still too large to put in a reasonably sized case.
2020-1-7
Use props
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

I split the difference and ordered the 75CM landing pad which is almost 30 inches - will hone my landing skills with it.
2020-1-7
Use props
djicheaha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

The 55 looks like a good size for your MM. Go fly.
2020-1-7
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

My hand does a really grand job, held flat with stretched arm it rarely gets dirty
2020-1-7
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

the goal is to only buy one pad for this drone and any future drone you may purchase.  the small pads are not suitable for the larger drones.  I would go with a medium to future-proof.
2020-1-7
Use props
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-7 13:46
the goal is to only buy one pad for this drone and any future drone you may purchase.  the small pads are not suitable for the larger drones.  I would go with a medium to future-proof.

Yes - that was same conclusion I came to - go big or go home! (no pun intended)
2020-1-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never use a landing pad unless landing on something loose, like sand.
2020-1-8
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

I got the 75 version one, one that also includes indications for north, south, west and east, it helps to match the real compass position.
I found that even though the 75 is quite big for the mini, sometimes the AC drifts once landed, using a smaller one would be very easy to go to the edge of the pad.
Having a slighty bigger one allows to be used with pretty much all drones.
A landing pad is such an inexpensive add-on, that is a no brainer, you protect from moist, water, grass, dust and debris.
It also makes people aware you are doing something around it and they somehow keep a safe distance from it.
2020-1-8
Use props
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-8 03:00
I got the 75 version one, one that also includes indications for north, south, west and east, it helps to match the real compass position.
I found that even though the 75 is quite big for the mini, sometimes the AC drifts once landed, using a smaller one would be very easy to go to the edge of the pad.
Having a slighty bigger one allows to be used with pretty much all drones.

All very good points - thank you!
2020-1-8
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

BSDickinson Posted at 1-8 04:25
All very good points - thank you!

You are very welcome, this is the one I bought, is Amazon.es but Im sure the same brand sells in the US too.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020-1-8
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

I put the Mavic Pro on a size 52 t-shirt with four stones on the edges, so I bought 55 centimeters for the Mavic Mini.
2020-1-8
Use props
Anandb316
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54570 ft
United Kingdom

I have brought the following for my MM and it works well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JNHY9FC/
2020-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules