Charging 3 batteries and controller
15518 27 2020-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chriswaters
lvl.1
United Kingdom

As the fly more combo comes with two cables and one charging plug, is it ok to charge the 3 batteries AND the controller at the same time by plugging the controller into the triple battery charger, as per my photo?

I noticed that when the controller is plugged into the triple battery charger only then it charges from the batteries, as I’d expect. If I then plug the charger into the mains then the batteries start charging but the controller stops, unless I long press the charger power button and then the controller starts charging as well as the batteries.

Are they then all charging from the mains power or is the controller charging from the battery power whilst they charge from the mains?
C532F578-4053-4D13-B49E-974FE3702205.jpeg
B9B1B533-B9F3-451F-A382-0F32E613301B.jpeg
2020-1-7
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used to charge mine that way. It worked pretty well. I bought a 6 port USB charger from amazon. Two of them are QC 3.0 ports so I use those to charge the hub and the controller at once.
2020-1-7
Use props
chriswaters
lvl.1
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 1-7 12:55
I used to charge mine that way. It worked pretty well. I bought a 6 port USB charger from amazon. Two of them are QC 3.0 ports so I use those to charge the hub and the controller at once.

Good to know. I’ve had somebody try and tell me this setup is not good as it could be discharging the batteries to charge the controller at the same time as the batteries are charging up, which damages cells and shortens the battery life.

All I really want to know is if this is ok to do...and not be shortening battery life.
2020-1-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day chriswaters. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. Upon checking the photos that you have posted and reading the said information. This set up is correct. The DJI Mavic Mini charging hub will be able to charge the remote controller if there are batteries attached to the said charging hub. The remote controller will get its charge from the mains power source not on the said batteries. If in case that you need to charge the remote controller it is best to connect the said remote controller directly to a charging brick with the specification of ( Input of 100-240 V, 50/60 Hz, 0.5A ; Output of 12V 1.5 A / 9V 2A / 5V 3A and with a Rated Power of 18 W ). Use a micro USB cable to connect the USB charger to the Micro USB port of the remote controller as shown below. Thank you.

2020-1-7
Use props
djiuser_WFDLsFXx3gbW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 402920 ft
United States

JodyB Posted at 1-7 12:55
I used to charge mine that way. It worked pretty well. I bought a 6 port USB charger from amazon. Two of them are QC 3.0 ports so I use those to charge the hub and the controller at once.

Hey can you post a link to the charger you are using? I have seen a couple that will charge 4 batteries, the controller, and an iOS device all in parallel. I have been waiting for someone to review one to see how well they like them.
2020-1-7
Use props
chriswaters
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-7 13:11
Hello and good day chriswaters. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. Upon checking the photos that you have posted and reading the said information. This set up is correct. The DJI Mavic Mini charging hub will be able to charge the remote controller if there are batteries attached to the said charging hub. The remote controller will get its charge from the mains power source not on the said batteries. If in case that you need to charge the remote controller it is best to connect the said remote controller directly to a charging brick with the specification of ( Input of 100-240 V, 50/60 Hz, 0.5A ; Output of 12V 1.5 A / 9V 2A / 5V 3A and with a Rated Power of 18 W ). Use a micro USB cable to connect the USB charger to the Micro USB port of the remote controller as shown below. Thank you.

[view_image]

Stephen, many thanks for such a quick informative reply!  I’m glad to know that this setup is ok and I’m not damaging the batteries.
2020-1-7
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_WFDLsFXx3gbW Posted at 1-7 13:23
Hey can you post a link to the charger you are using? I have seen a couple that will charge 4 batteries, the controller, and an iOS device all in parallel. I have been waiting for someone to review one to see how well they like them.

Sure. This one has 6 ports for a total of 60 watts. 4 of them are 2.4 amps each and the other two are QC 3.0 capable. The cool thing is each port is independent of each other so no robbing from one to pay another in amperage or voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020-1-7
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

Honestly, had not thought of that. Thanks for posting.
2020-1-7
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156709 ft
United States

2020-1-7
Use props
chriswaters
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Cal Evans Posted at 1-7 14:15
Honestly, had not thought of that. Thanks for posting.

I didn’t when I first charged everything and then it became obvious to do it this way, but on another group somebody said the controller would be taking power from the batteries whilst they charged. It’s good to get an official answer from DJI on the contrary.
2020-1-7
Use props
chriswaters
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Savage3006 Posted at 1-7 14:27
https://youtu.be/JkKCXpkzmgQ

If he had only long pressed the charging station power button when he had everything plugged in then he’d have seen the controller start charging again as well as the batteries.
2020-1-7
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
United States

chriswaters Posted at 1-7 14:37
If he had only long pressed the charging station power button when he had everything plugged in then he’d have seen the controller start charging again as well as the batteries.

Haven't tried it yet but will it quick charge the RC once you long press.
2020-1-7
Use props
chriswaters
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Savage3006 Posted at 1-7 14:41
Haven't tried it yet but will it quick charge the RC once you long press.

I tried it earlier and it certainly charges the controller but not sure if it quick charges it
2020-1-7
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
United States

chriswaters Posted at 1-7 14:44
I tried it earlier and it certainly charges the controller but not sure if it quick charges it

yes it doesn't quick charge just regular charge, would have been cool if it did quick charge the RC. you could tell by the lights quick charge is fast blinking lights.
2020-1-7
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

As JodyB points out, you'll get the fastest charging of everything if you get an additional power brick.

When I got the Fly More Combo kit, I was a bit disappointed that DJI didn't just toss in several power bricks.  They're dirt cheap, so why not give us three bricks and three cables?  That way, we could charge the remote control, two batteries in the triple charger gizmo, and one battery in the drone itself for the fastest possible charge-up.

I've got several of the chargers like JodyB pointed out, and I use them around the house and office to charge up various gadgets.  You know, we all have multiple devices that need charging, right?  

But what I got for me, to use for the Mini and it's various parts, are these:

https://smile.amazon.com/FONKEN- ... d=1578438771&sr=8-1

These are small, cheap, and with two of them plus the similar power block that came with the Fly More kit, I can charge the RC, Drone, and batteries in the triple charger all at once if I wish.

I think, again as JodyB pointed out, that you want to make sure the power brick you use is like the one that DJI provides in the Fly More kit.  It should be a QC3 compatible charger so that it has the 5V, 9V, and 12V output capability.

People don't realize how sophisticated these USB chargers and USB system really are.  When you first connect a device to a USB charger, the charger puts out 5V.  That powers up the attached device, but then a rather amazing "negotiation" takes place between the charger and the device being charged.  Depending on the capabilities of the device being charged, it can request different voltages and make use of what the power brick can offer.

To get these DJI gadgets to charge at their fastest, you need a power brick with QC3 capability.  I'm not sure why DJI doesn't make this more clear, especially since the base-kit for the Mavic Mini comes with NO power brick whatsoever.  That leaves people needing to find a power brick, and when they try one that isn't QC3 capable, the drone may not charge at all, or may charge very slowly.

Considering that I can buy, at retail, a pack of three of these power bricks for $14, and DJI's cost must surely be far less, it surprises me that they don't provide at least one of them with the base Mini kit, and two or three of them with the Fly More kit.
2020-1-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

chriswaters Posted at 1-7 13:25
Stephen, many thanks for such a quick informative reply!  I’m glad to know that this setup is ok and I’m not damaging the batteries.

You are very much welcome chriswaters. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with your DJI Mavic Mini or with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and assist you.
2020-1-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 1-7 14:10
Sure. This one has 6 ports for a total of 60 watts. 4 of them are 2.4 amps each and the other two are QC 3.0 capable. The cool thing is each port is independent of each other so no robbing from one to pay another in amperage or voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P8V7ZDN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LOL, JodyB I bought the same one a couple of weeks back.  I got it so my grandson could charge up his Nintendo Switch, smartphone and tablet all at once.  Haven't used it for MM yet as I have been using charging hub configured just like the OP stated.  
2020-1-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sigmo Posted at 1-7 15:20
As JodyB points out, you'll get the fastest charging of everything if you get an additional power brick.

When I got the Fly More Combo kit, I was a bit disappointed that DJI didn't just toss in several power bricks.  They're dirt cheap, so why not give us three bricks and three cables?  That way, we could charge the remote control, two batteries in the triple charger gizmo, and one battery in the drone itself for the fastest possible charge-up.

what's the use case for such a setup?  so many chargers and all this fast charging..
2020-1-7
Use props
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.2

United States

Yes, the AC power (mains) is charging the remote once the batteries are charged. Since DJI recommends not keeping the batteries on the charger once they are charged, I typically take each battery out of the charger once it is charged. This eventually leaves only the remote connected to the charger (and charging through the AC 'mains' (line current). Hope this helps...
2020-1-7
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-7 18:48
what's the use case for such a setup?  so many chargers and all this fast charging..

In my case, with three power bricks, the two power cables that the Fly More kit came with and one additional USB-A to USB-Micro cable, I am able to charge the remote control, a battery in the Mini itself, and two batteries in the triple charger all at the same time.

The triple charger charges the three batteries one at a time, sequentially.  It cannot charge more than one battery at a time.  It's smart about it, and chooses the battery that's closest to being full first, and works its way down from there, so that you'll have at least one battery charged as soon as possible.

I'm not sure what the logic is if you plug the remote into the triple charger and feed both with the one supplied power cube, but regardless how it doles out the power, it cannot charge both as rapidly as it would charge just one.

So if you have extra power cubes, all of them being QC3 capable, and plug each of these devices into its own power cube, you get full charging capability to each device.

So for me, I'm able to top off the RC while charging one battery in the Mini itself AND charging the other two batteries (still, just one at a time) in the triple charger.  This gets everything charged faster.

I also have additional power cubes and cables so I can charge my phone at the same time as well.  My phone (a Samsung Note 8) also supports QC3 charging, and charges MUCH faster with a QC3 power cube than from a 5V-Only type power cube.

So you could argue that you actually need four QC3 power cubes to recharge everything necessary to go out flying in the fastest possible way.  And I do, actually, have at least four QC3 charging "channels" available both at home and at my office.  Actually, I have a lot more than that.  But i specifically have four QC3 channels all at one location at work where I can set up all of the drone goodies and my phone to get things charged there ASAP.  At home, we've got a lot more charging channels, too.

When you consider that a three-pack of these power cubes costs $14, that's not a lot to spend to end up with four QC3 chargers.  You will need a cable for your phone and an extra USB-A toUSB-Micro cable so that you can fire up every piece of kit all at once.  But those cables are cheap, too.

With just the one QC3 power cube that DJI supplies, you can't charge your goodies nearly as fast.  And you can't plug everything in and walk away from it.  You'll have to make at least one cable swap during the charging to get everything recharged.  It's kind of nice to just plug it all in and know that everything will be recharged when you get back to it.

So it's a convenience and speed thing.
2020-1-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sigmo Posted at 1-7 20:11
In my case, with three power bricks, the two power cables that the Fly More kit came with and one additional USB-A to USB-Micro cable, I am able to charge the remote control, a battery in the Mini itself, and two batteries in the triple charger all at the same time.

The triple charger charges the three batteries one at a time, sequentially.  It cannot charge more than one battery at a time.  It's smart about it, and chooses the battery that's closest to being full first, and works its way down from there, so that you'll have at least one battery charged as soon as possible.

hey sorry you wrote all that.  I know how it works, wasn't what I asked.  pretend like im the dji Mavic Mini product manager, please tell me why I should include more stuff in the box.  I had a target price that I was barely able to hit but you're asking me to spend even more and cut into the profits for what reason?  what is it you think the customer wants or needs that putting these extra items in the box will give them that they won't have otherwise?  I'm not in the business of charity so I'm not providing a bunch of fancy charges and cables for them to use on their other toys.  you said speed and convenience so I'm asking for the "use case" for example customers are going to fly the Mavic Mini for fun for more than 2 hours and the combo kit doesn't cut it.  I'm going to suggest those customers buy one or two of our extra special overpriced batteries but I guess you're telling me I should give them a way to fly all day on just 3 batteries, right?  as a fellow dji employee, sell me on why I should raise the price of the kits or cut into the profits by throwing in a bunch of charging equipment because honestly, I didn't want to include the one charger at all and you're lucky to get even  one cable because these cables end up trashing the environment because everyone has too many microusb cables anyway.
2020-1-7
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Trashing the environment with a cable?  Seriously?  Maybe you think refining the lithium for the batteries is "clean".  And again, seriously?  A Chinese company worrying about saving the planet by providing an extra few cables and chargers?  Gimme a break.

https://www.bbc.com/future/artic ... orst-place-on-earth

If I'm paying $4.33 each for a power cubes at full retail, shipped free to my home, I'm pretty sure DJI's cost for a power cube is under 50 cents.  And for a cable?  Maybe 5 cents.

Let's say you're a marketing person for DJI.  How would you explain to disappointed customers who opened their basic Mini kit on Christmas morning that:  Well, sorry, folks.  We didn't actually think you'd want to charge and use your Mini or its remote controller, so we gave you NO charger whatsoever.

Or in the case of you Fly More Combo kit buyers:  "We sold you two extra batteries and an amazing charger for them, but we didn't actually think you'd want to be able to charge more than one at a time, let alone charge the RC at the same time as you charge your batteries one at a time.

You're telling me that there's no marketing advantage to making people a bit happier when they open their box of goodies, and later use the kit?

Think about the YouTubers doing unboxing and review videos.  Wouldn't it pay dividends to DJI to be able to have those reviewers smile and talk glowingly about how they got everything they needed to fly their new toy as soon as possible, and were able to recharge the gadgets quickly ever after?

Go ahead and use the zero chargers that you got with your basic kit.  I'm sure it'll make a very lovely paperweight on your desk (or as some have pointed out, not such a good paperweight because it's too light at only 249 grams).  Or take your sweet time and recharge your bits one at a time if you did get a Fly More Combo.  Maybe, in light of the fact that NO charger comes with the basic kit, the Fly More should be called the "At least you can fly some combo".  If you don't actually want to fly, but would rather just sit watching the lights blink on your desk, that's fine with me.

At the least, they could have put a note in the box that says what KIND of charger the new owner will now be required to go out and find on Christmas Day when almost all of the stores are closed.

Not providing any charger, or just one with the Fly More reminds me of the way you USED to buy a $300 printer, and low and behold, no cable in the box!  It's Chicken Doo Doo!  Seriously?  $400, and NO charger included?  Especially when, as we've seen in this very thread, most people have no idea what kind of charger you need to get, and are having problems because the normal chargers they happen to have laying around don't work.  Wouldn't DJI have avoided disappointing a lot of people had they just spent the extra 50 cents to toss in ONE charger with the basic kit, and perhaps one extra one with the Fly More?

This discussion reminds me of this:

And why the hostility towards me for suggesting that getting a few extra chargers would make life a bit better for MOST of us?
2020-1-7
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Personally, I bought the extra 6 port charger for the house. I can plug in my phone and tablet chargers and get rid of about 4 extra power bricks, and still have the two ports for the mavic mini. The stuff that came with the mavic mini FMC, I put in my flight pack and carry with me. That part I don't expect to be in the box with the mini. Just something extra I thought I'd like and as it turns out, I do.
2020-1-8
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

yeah, most people already have what they need.  it was only a suggestion but i realize customers are not quite ready for the lack of chargers and cables.  but one is just fine.  whatever else you prefer (because there a ton of other options), the customer is free to decide for themselves what they like.  sigmo, i'm asking what's the use case?
2020-1-8
Use props
Dr0ne_n00b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8060348 ft
  • >>>
Australia

https://www.amazon.com/Portable- ... oller/dp/B082PRPTX2

This charger should make life much easier, charges in parallel much quicker than stock charget
2020-1-8
Use props
red squirrel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55610 ft
United States

Savage3006 Posted at 1-7 14:27
https://youtu.be/JkKCXpkzmgQ

Thanks!  Helpful video!
2020-1-12
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
United States

red squirrel Posted at 1-12 03:33
Thanks!  Helpful video!

Hope it helped out.
2020-1-13
Use props
iDroneOn
lvl.1
United States

My thought was it would treat the controller as a fourth battery after the batteries were finished charging. So yeah. It would be about convenience. Charge/top off everything at the same time.
So. Will it charge the controller once the batteries are charged or do I need to long hold the button on the charger to continue charging the controller AFTER the batteries are full?

EDIT: And that is just what it's done. Charged all 3 batteries and now switched over to the controller. Coolio.
2020-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules