12Next >
28980 48 2020-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
graywoulf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91033 ft
United States

Knowing the continued popularity of the Spark, I cannot understand why DJI has discontinued such an icon of the DJI line of drones. Makes me wonder if I should either stock up on parts and batteries or just sell it before it becomes totally obsolete.
I personally am very disappointed in seeing listings for these drones and parts and accessories that say "Discontinued" on the page. I know that nothing lasts forever but still, I am sorry to see this one go. And whatever happened to the idea of the "Spark 2"???

2020-1-7
Use props
Andhika
lvl.2
Flight distance : 455259 ft
Indonesia

it's so sad that spark will be or has been discontinued.. i just love this tiny drones, even with my phantom 3, i have  a lot more of times with spark
2020-1-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

At least the accessories are still available.
2020-1-8
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

It's simple, with the release of the Mini sales of the Spark would not be sufficient to maintain profitable production. I still enjoy mine just the same.
2020-1-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

They will probably be selling parts for them for some time.
But everything comes to an end (so will your Spark eventually).
2020-1-8
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

I believe, the spark was replaced by the Mavic Mini to take advantage of the <250g regulations.
2020-1-8
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

I intend to fly my Spark for as long as possible and most likely buy several batteries and extra props just in case. Love that little drone!
2020-1-8
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

In the EU I personally don’t see the Mavic Mini as a practical replacement to the Spark as the MM’s claimed strengths do not make up for its deficits.

One of the MM’s claimed strong points was its all up weight being under 250grams and therefore would not require registration. However in six months time the EASA regulations come into force and any SUAS with ability to collect data, eg a camera with onboard storage,, even under 250grams AUW, will require registration.

For it to have increased flight time DJI needed to make sacrifices. No obstacle avoidance, low wattage 2cell battery, thin plastics, small low powered motors and props. This has resulted in a drone that is severely effected by moderate breezes and susceptible to breakage. To enforce my claims a friend received a Mavic Mini for Christmas and brought it along to my flying club at the weekend. We both flew, me with my Spark, and his MM was really struggling to hold its position in a moderate breeze where as my Spark happily held its own.

Add to this the lack of autonomous modes I believe the Mavic Mini pales in comparison to the Spark.

If DJI are still prepared to produce batteries for the Spark it should still have a reasonable life expectancy.

Regards

Nidge.
2020-1-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the DJI Spark. As more advanced products are released, older products reach their End of Life (EOL). But rest assured the accessories are still available on DJI’s official online store, we will continue to provide after-sales services for the said drone. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2020-1-8
Use props
AgentRed
New

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-8 12:04
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the DJI Spark. As more advanced products are released, older products reach their End of Life (EOL). But rest assured the accessories are still available on DJI’s official online store, we will continue to provide after-sales services for the said drone. Thank you for your understanding and support.

I still like my spark but I lost my controller when I moved. I checked on the site for the spark controller its been out of stock for a while.  But everything else is still on sale. Then when you check on other sites for it like $175 or 200 for used/knock offs. I hope you guys restock it soon if it still supported.
2020-1-8
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

The Mavic Mini IS the 'Spark 2', it literally has everything that most people wanted on a second version of a Spark - longer flight time, sub 250g, improved camera, 3 axis gimble, improved signal strength. No one (i ever saw) was asking for more obstacle avoidance or improved/retained gesture control etc. The old adage of 'not being able to please all people all the time' seems very true!
2020-1-9
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

MKPSG12 Posted at 1-9 01:47
The Mavic Mini IS the 'Spark 2', it literally has everything that most people wanted on a second version of a Spark - longer flight time, sub 250g, improved camera, 3 axis gimble, improved signal strength. No one (i ever saw) was asking for more obstacle avoidance or improved/retained gesture control etc. The old adage of 'not being able to please all people all the time' seems very true!

With all due respect, for the Mavic Mini to be classed as the "Spark2" it would have to have all the features of the Spark plus enhancements, in the same progression as the Phantom and Mavic Pro range.

Yes the Mavic Mini has a longer flight times and is lighter but sacrifices were made to make it 0.4% under 250grams and provide longer flight times, such as cheaper and weaker construction methods and a lower power propulsion system. Thus it's durability and resistance to moderate wind conditions have been compromised.

I'll grant you that obstacle avoidance is not the be all and end all, I very rarely use it on my Spark, but when I compared my friends Mavic Mini to my Spark many features I took for granted on the Spark just weren't present on the Mavic Mini. And for some reason, most probably differences in hardware, the MM was consistently slower in satellite acquisition and lower in satellite count, though this may have been addressed in a recent FW update.

Increased range is subjective, I don't use my Spark to break distance records instead I leave that to Skydroid equipped drones. My Spark is something I can launch quick and easily and is more of a remotely piloted tripod for close in work. That being said in a suitable controlled environment I have flown out 2miles with no issues.

Now all that being said I'm not saying the Mavic Mini is a bad drone, far from it, and I've quite happily recommended it to others as their first consumer drone, due to its price and simplicity. However I personally think that if I were to replace my Spark in favour of the Mavic Mini I'd need to have my bumps felt.

Regards

Nidge.
2020-1-9
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

Nidge Posted at 1-9 03:32
With all due respect, for the Mavic Mini to be classed as the "Spark2" it would have to have all the features of the Spark plus enhancements, in the same progression as the Phantom and Mavic Pro range.

Yes the Mavic Mini has a longer flight times and is lighter but sacrifices were made to make it 0.4% under 250grams and provide longer flight times, such as cheaper and weaker construction methods and a lower power propulsion system. Thus it's durability and resistance to moderate wind conditions have been compromised.

It's true that the Spark is still a very nice aircraft, I'm keeping mine even though I got a Mavic 2 Zoom a year ago. I've never crashed it and it's good as new, so it will fly as long as I have batteries for it.
2020-1-9
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Canada

Nidge Posted at 1-8 12:01
In the EU I personally don’t see the Mavic Mini as a practical replacement to the Spark as the MM’s claimed strengths do not make up for its deficits.

One of the MM’s claimed strong points was its all up weight being under 250grams and therefore would not require registration. However in six months time the EASA regulations come into force and any SUAS with ability to collect data, eg a camera with onboard storage,, even under 250grams AUW, will require registration.

Well said, I agree! Cheers
2020-1-9
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Canada

You are right again Nidge!
2020-1-9
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

As a happy Spark owner who's gotten a lot of joy from it, I have to agree with that. The Mini is a step up from the Spark as an entry-level drone. There's no point for DJI to continue producing both of them.

I think the "continued popularity of the Spark" might be a bit of an overestimation.

2020-1-9
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Canada

Prairie Chicken Posted at 1-9 10:19
As a happy Spark owner who's gotten a lot of joy from it, I have to agree with that. The Mini is a step up from the Spark as an entry-level drone. There's no point for DJI to continue producing both of them.

I think the "continued popularity of the Spark" might be a bit of an overestimation.

Time will tell...... Spark or Mini!
2020-1-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

AgentRed Posted at 1-8 17:04
I still like my spark but I lost my controller when I moved. I checked on the site for the spark controller its been out of stock for a while.  But everything else is still on sale. Then when you check on other sites for it like $175 or 200 for used/knock offs. I hope you guys restock it soon if it still supported.

Hi. Thank you for the additional information. With regards to the DJI Spark. I would recommend to please check our DJI Where To Buy web page to check if nearby retail store still has DJI Spark in stocks. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your valued support.
2020-1-9
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
United States

I don't think that anyone could have said all of that any better. You and I are definitely on the same page on this.
2020-1-9
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
United States

ssylca44 Posted at 1-9 14:54

If I had the choice of a new compact drone today, I would clearly choose the Spark over a folding toy class drone with some really good features. There is no comparison between the two. If only DJI had upgraded the Spark with a 3 axis gimbal and upgraded the battery somehow for a longer flight time then the Spark would still be a huge hit.
That is all they needed to do.

I'm going to be watching the forums to see how many MM's are lost in the wind or lost to those pilots who like to see if they can better some other pilots distance record.

And how many Mavic Pro pilots sold their Mavic Pro to buy a Spark for it's compact size and features?

The Spark rules in my book. Nuff said.
2020-1-9
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 1-9 14:54

I think time is already telling since the Spark has been discontinued or will be soon.

After having a Spark for over a year, I still prefer it to the Mini. It handles the wind a little better and it's tough as nails. I've crashed mine several times and dropped it on a concrete floor once, and the worst damage has been broken props. It still flies and records video as well as on the first flight. But if I was buying my first drone today without that experience, it would likely be a Mini for the light weight alone, with no need for testing and licensing. That and the cheaper cost must be huge selling points for beginners. I don't think the Spark could compete with that.
2020-1-9
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Canada

graywoulf Posted at 1-9 17:51
If I had the choice of a new compact drone today, I would clearly choose the Spark over a folding toy class drone with some really good features. There is no comparison between the two. If only DJI had upgraded the Spark with a 3 axis gimbal and upgraded the battery somehow for a longer flight time then the Spark would still be a huge hit.
That is all they needed to do.

I couldn't agree more!
2020-1-10
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because the Mavic Mini has become its successor but it lacks Activetrack orbiting capabilities.  Being under the 250g is funny as law makers probably would lower it down to 200g.  This way, we can get our 300g Mavic Mini that has better parts.
2020-1-10
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-8 12:04
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the DJI Spark. As more advanced products are released, older products reach their End of Life (EOL). But rest assured the accessories are still available on DJI’s official online store, we will continue to provide after-sales services for the said drone. Thank you for your understanding and support.
What is more advanced that Spark in entry drone level?
I serious ask. Light and better battery because of weight is not advance...
2020-1-10
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

Prairie Chicken Posted at 1-9 10:19

Step down in my opinion. Miniaturisation should be in every case like Spark sensors too
2020-1-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

MARTINEZX Posted at 1-10 11:02
What is more advanced that Spark in entry drone level?
I serious ask. Light and better battery because of weight is not advance...

Hi. Thank you for sharing these informative insights. With regard to the addition inquiry and with the additional information you have shared. The DJI Mavic Mini is capable of doing the tasks as a consumer drone. Let me please provide some of the specification of the DJI Mavic Mini. First, it has a lightweight body and longer flight time of 30 minutes ( measured while flying at 14 kph in windless conditions ). Second, the DJI Mavic Mini has a 3-axis gimbal giving more options for capturing photos and video footage compared to the DJI Spark's 2 axis gimbal. Third, the said drone uses the enhanced Wifi giving it a stable connection and further flight distance depending on the region or location. Finally, the DJI Mavic Mini is using the 2.7k@ 30 FPS max for better video resolution. Thank you.
2020-1-10
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

I love my spark.

The design is like 4 years old now, that's ancient in this technology.

These days, if I was in the market for a $400 dollar drone, I'd go with the Mavick Mini.
2020-1-10
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
United States

Tentoes Posted at 1-10 17:20
I love my spark.

The design is like 4 years old now, that's ancient in this technology.

The Spark may be 4 years old but you can't deny it's place in the drone world right now. You wouldn't turn down a beautiful 55 Chevy just because it's old now would you? I know, bad comparison but I still think that DJI should have upgraded the Spark and called it Spark 2 instead of creating the Mavic MIni. I think it gives the Mavic line a bad name myself.
2020-1-28
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

This is Not true
2020-2-3
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
lvl.4

United States

keep on flying your Spark , don't worry about the Spark being discontinued . in the future you may buy a better drone or even move on from this hobby so enjoy your spark . for me this is my last drone , i have quite a few and i fly my Spark the most not that it's the best but it's the one i like the most .
2020-2-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Spark is a great drone and I will always have a soft spot for it.  With that being said, mine is all but retired now.  
2020-2-19
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm thinking the technology has been replaced by the mavic air and mavic mini.
2020-2-22
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

ssylca44 Posted at 1-10 06:45
I couldn't agree more!

I have both. They are different enough that you should not try to treat one as a substitute for the other. Asking to choose one over the other is like asking a parent which child he wants to give up - not good. Just got a refurbished white goggles so that I could use with my two Sparks (but not compatible with the MM).
2020-2-23
Use props
Potato_mac
New

Australia

DJI Spark s the best i was gonna get it for christmas intill it ended
2020-9-26
Use props
Potato_mac
New

Australia

DJI Spark yhe best
2020-9-26
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

ssylca44 Posted at 1-8 07:03
I believe, the spark was replaced by the Mavic Mini to take advantage of the

Under 250 or not you still have to fly under established flight guidelines. So I don't see what the advantage is.
2020-9-28
Use props
djiuser_UiOvAr3kwIJW
New

United Kingdom

Just purchased my first drone, the dji spark. Am not put off by the discontinued production of this amazing drone. I believe that DJI will always stock replacement parts. In theory you could perchase all the parts and build a brand new one from scratch. It would probably cost more though!
2021-2-19
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

So we need this
2021-2-24
Use props
olliespark70
New
Belgium

Love my Spark...but what I would like to have in my future drone is a less noisy drone, I find it really noisy when it starts. I have it since June 2018 and use it very simply, never used the Follow me or advanced mode.
So after almost three years, still learning how to use it.
My future drone should me: more silent, have all the features of the compactness of the Spark including obstacle avoidance (it's a must for me), longer battery life and in the 500-600€ price range.
I may keep my Spark as a backup drone.
Do you think the Mavic Air Fly Combo would be a nice upgrade, rather than the still pricey Mavic Air 2 Fly Combo? Or perhaps wait for more DJI releases in 2021? The Mini 2 is an option but the absence of obstacle avoidance is a problem for me...
2021-3-8
Use props
djiuser_JNsh6PXR2Cj3
New

Mexico

MKPSG12 Posted at 2020-1-9 01:47

There is one thing it doesnt have that I want, and seeing how the Spark had it, it annoys me.  DJI GO 4 compatibility.  GO 4 has a much better UI (and the Mavic Mini was released after P4) but no.
2021-7-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules