Phantom 4 Battery Bulge
7171 14 2020-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hardrone
lvl.4

India

Hello,

I have been using Phantom 4 Batteries for a long time but got a sudden query related to BATTERY BULGE.

I have Phantom 4 Advanced - 5870mAh Li-ion-Po Battery from DJI. It has started bulging with just 60 charge cycles.

What can be the reason behind this issue? Dumping a battery with just a 60 charge cycle is quite bad in terms of efficiency.

Can anyone please let me know the correct charge cycles of Phantom 4 batteries?

Also, I would like to know the reason behind this much less charging cycles.

Thanks for your help.
2020-1-8
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

because you have to set the discharge rate to 2 days before things got too late
2020-1-8
Use props
hardrone
lvl.4

India

AntDX316 Posted at 1-8 04:35
because you have to set the discharge rate to 2 days before things got too late

I did not understand what does this mean?

Please explain

Thanks
2020-1-8
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

hardrone Posted at 1-8 05:05
I did not understand what does this mean?

Please explain

You probably stored the batteries at too far below storage charge level.  I doubt the 10 day one would cause it.
2020-1-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The main reason lipos begin to swell is because they have been stored for too long at too high a charge.  It can also happen when storing in a too-warm environment such as a hot car.  

I like to keep my lipos charged to around 40-50%, and then I store them at room temperature.  When I want to fly, I charge the battery, then go fly - usually within a few minutes.  The auto-discharge is set to one day on all my batteries in the rare event of my charging a battery followed by not flying.  This way, the battery is at a full charge for as little time as possible.  

You should also know that pressing the little button to check the charge resets the auto-discharge timer.  So for example if you have the auto-discharge set for two days, and you check the charge every day, the battery will never auto-discharge.  

Swollen batteries are unpredictable.  The main thing I've noticed is they want to force auto-land early in the flight without prior warning, followed by a very fast depletion.  Best to only use it for short flights, or use it as a bench battery, or retire it.

If you're interested in learning more, this will keep you busy for a while:  https://batteryuniversity.com/le ... ium_based_batteries

https://batteryuniversity.com/le ... ut_not_trouble_free

Good luck
2020-1-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best information for this inquiry. for the said battery. I would recommend to please follow DJI Intelligent Battery Safety Guidelines to ensure the safety and longevity of the said battery. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-1-8
Use props
hardrone
lvl.4

India

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-8 07:00
The main reason lipos begin to swell is because they have been stored for too long at too high a charge.  It can also happen when storing in a too-warm environment such as a hot car.  

I like to keep my lipos charged to around 40-50%, and then I store them at room temperature.  When I want to fly, I charge the battery, then go fly - usually within a few minutes.  The auto-discharge is set to one day on all my batteries in the rare event of my charging a battery followed by not flying.  This way, the battery is at a full charge for as little time as possible.  

Hello,

I keep my Drone batteries in storage/charge up to storage level, when it is expected to have a rest.

I mostly charge it before a day of flying.

That is the reason I am wondering why this is happening.

How to set auto-discharge on DJI batteries?
2020-1-8
Use props
hardrone
lvl.4

India

AntDX316 Posted at 1-8 06:02
You probably stored the batteries at too far below storage charge level.  I doubt the 10 day one would cause it.

Hello,

I keep my batteries in storage level only.

It starts happening around 60-65 charge cycle. Other batteries are at 30-35 charge cycles. They are working well. No issues with them.
2020-1-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

I've never had a battery that was properly cared for swell up.  Good luck
2020-1-9
Use props
hardrone
lvl.4

India

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-9 03:02
I've never had a battery that was properly cared for swell up.  Good luck

If it has not happened with you, it doesn't mean it can't happen with others.

If I had to live a life of a lie, I wouldn't have even asked this question.

This could not happen in your place because of climatic conditions and usage factors.

In India, climate effect will probably be higher and maybe it is due to the usage been done at even 45°C. temperature.
There is strictly no place for arrogance. If you have a solution, share it. That is my sincere request.
Somewhere, somehow, something wrong is happening.
2020-1-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

hardrone Posted at 1-20 01:58
If it has not happened with you, it doesn't mean it can't happen with others.

If I had to live a life of a lie, I wouldn't have even asked this question.

Sorry but I don't understand your complaint.  I'm merely telling the forum of my own experience.  Regarding your OP, since the DJI battery usage guide warns not to use the battery in temperatures above 40C, and you admit in the post above using the battery in temperatures above 40C, wouldn't that fall under the category of your battery not "properly cared for?"  And therefore, wouldn't that seem likely to explain the problems you're having?  

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y+Guidelines+En.pdf

2020-1-20
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Mark is giving you good advice.  You came here asking for help, but it appears you have already have your own theories.  Maybe you just need to keep feeding it batteries.
2020-1-20
Use props
Juliano Cruz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4158868 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

If it so, I don't know why 2 days for discharge isn't the default value if 10 days can cause this kind of issue.
My 3 batteries wit 30 cycles are with that bulge too.
2020-1-20
Use props
hardrone
lvl.4

India

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-20 05:20
Sorry but I don't understand your complaint.  I'm merely telling the forum of my own experience.  Regarding your OP, since the DJI battery usage guide warns not to use the battery in temperatures above 40C, and you admit in the post above using the battery in temperatures above 40C, wouldn't that fall under the category of your battery not "properly cared for?"  And therefore, wouldn't that seem likely to explain the problems you're having?  

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4_pro/20170125/flight+battery+safety+guidelines/Phantom+4+Series+Intelligent+Flight+Battery+Safety+Guidelines+En.pdf

Hi Mark,

I agree with your point. I accept that the batteries are being used in the temperature above 40°C. That is carelessness, of course.

But, when I come to the point of taking care of the battery charging and maintaining the storage level when not in use, the batteries have perfectly cared in that way.

I had no point to abuse or argue with you. But I found your statement kind of sarcasm. I am sorry for my response though.

Basically, in India, the temperature touches 40°C and goes even more. Solar inspections are higher under such weather conditions and the Drones have to be on the field.
2020-1-23
Use props
hardrone
lvl.4

India

ALABAMA Posted at 1-20 05:44
Mark is giving you good advice.  You came here asking for help, but it appears you have already have your own theories.  Maybe you just need to keep feeding it batteries.

Hi Captain,

I have clarified my point in response to Mark. I had no aim to abuse or argue with him or anyone.

The theories were shared so that if some points/reasons are missed out in the discussion, it can get highlighted and clarified.
2020-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules