DJi Assistant 2 for Mavic has a Trojan Virus Attatched!?
5854 9 2020-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Th3Dude
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25640 ft
United States

Hey everyone, this morning I went to download the DJi Assistant 2 for Mavic, and all of a suddden I'm stopped by windows stating there's a trojan virus. Obviously nobody wants a virus on their computer, so I did some digging around and it appears this is a persisting problem for multiple users. I've seen people stating it's a false positive, while others claim it caused their computer to blue screen. I'm not taking that chance, but I still want to use the software, so what's the fix? DJi seems to reach out and say they'll fix it, but the posts I read were from months, even some from years ago pertaining to other assistants, as well as this one. Attention needs to be called to this problem because an apology for faulty software killing a computer isn't enough. Some of our computers cost more than our drones, and this is a serious issue that needs to be fixed. A company like Dji should be able to remove the download link, and simply replace it with one that doesn't have a virus attached. I hope proper attention is called to this problem and resolved soon.
Untitled.png
2020-1-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. If the DJI Assistant 2 was downloaded from the official website or obtained through regular channels, you can install DJI Assistant 2 with peace of mind. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.
2020-1-9
Use props
Th3Dude
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-9 08:08
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. If the DJI Assistant 2 was downloaded from the official website or obtained through regular channels, you can install DJI Assistant 2 with peace of mind. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.

With all due respect, I tried the download straight from the DJi website the first time, and I just tried it again only to have the same issue. I want to believe it's a false positive, but no link I've ever downloaded from an official source has ever had a message like this one.
2020-1-9
Use props
Pope-eye
New
United Kingdom

I had exactly the same problem this morning after receiving my first DJI drone. Downloaded from the official DJI site, as did most of the people who've posted about this for the past year or so, and received the same seemingly automated response from a DJI bot that you got. No denying the quality of the actual product but this hardly inspires confidence when it comes to customer care :/
2020-1-10
Use props
Th3Dude
lvl.1
United States

Pope-eye Posted at 1-10 02:18
I had exactly the same problem this morning after receiving my first DJI drone. Downloaded from the official DJI site, as did most of the people who've posted about this for the past year or so, and received the same seemingly automated response from a DJI bot that you got. No denying the quality of the actual product but this hardly inspires confidence when it comes to customer care :/

I don't understand why they're willing to just say it's fine. All the customer service on the drone repair side is fantastic, but whoever runs the forum accounts seems content just shoving complaints unrelated to the drones themselves aside. Clearly even coming from the official site, the link is not safe when more than one person is getting a virus notice.  Also looking at other responses from the "moderator" that answered other people's questions, they are all phrased in the same way at the start, leading me to believe their answers are from bots, or scripted. This is a poor display from DJi quite frankly.
2020-1-10
Use props
KrisK
lvl.1
United States

Same exact message here. Seems strange to have such a specific trojan detection.
2020-1-11
Use props
Th3Dude
lvl.1
United States

It's good to know nothing will actually be done about this. To anyone who finds this post in the future (b/c they will likely not repair the link,) just update your drone and controller using the DJi fly app. It's the only other way for people who don't know how to update without a computer. As updates become available, the app will notify you. It might take longer than plugging into a computer, but at least it's safe.
2020-1-14
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15295 ft
United Kingdom

It looks like DJI have changed the file although kept the same version number, this is the original one which shows trojan detection in some security software:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/f ... 00043add2/detection

And this is the current one:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/f ... d1032f1ec/detection

Since this alert is being triggered on the installer file and not a running process nor can I find any malware in the installed files I think this is a false positive however DJI have clearly changed the file and it would be useful to know why especially as there's likely to be a lot more posts on this specific detection.
2020-1-25
Use props
tobzinoz
lvl.1
Australia

On my Mac, I get an error message saying it's source cannot be verified - not very good when you're downloading from the company site.

Not going to risk it, as DJI harvest so much of our information already - I don't want to give them access to my hard drive too.

And you're right - terrible service from the company and forum.  Especially when compared to their excellent repair service.
2022-2-12
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

False positives are hardly unique to DJI...  It happens.   I'm pretty sure if they were up to something nefarious that they'd be clever enough not to have a virus warning pop up...

And if you're worried about DJI stealing your data, I hope you don't have a phone or any other smart devices around the house...   

I pretty much expect that any app I install on my phone can be used to track me, no matter what privacy settings are provided.  It's a fact of modern life.  If I was really concerned, I'd get a cheap used device that I'd dedicate for flying and use anonymous email accounts etc.  But even then, the app knows where you are and where you fly (and there's no good way to manage that history) - it wouldn't take much to associate that with other data to discover who you are.

This is why govt officials are supposed to use special hardened devices (but we know some don't bother and continue to use their personal gear, apparently they're fine with giving away classified information).

2022-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules