Risk of unintentionally triggering Emergency stop midflight?
4723 18 2020-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChRoM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51598 ft
Austria

There's this feature that let's you stop the rotors when moving the sticks inwards or outwards simultaniously. I wonder if there's the risk of triggering an emergency stop unintentionally midflight? Because at some point during the flight the sticks might be in this position out of pure conicidence. On default the setting says 'in emergency only', but what exactly does that mean? When does the drone consider a situation to be an emergency? After it detected a collision or something? There seems to be no option to turn that feature off alltogehter which leaves me a little nervous. Can somebody tell me that it's safe so I can stop worrying about that and continue to worry about all the other potential issues? ^^

20200109_194754000_iOS.png
2020-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Only when it has a collision so nothing to worry about .
2020-1-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. I would recommend to please go to general settings > safety > advance settings > then choose emergency only so that the drone will only stops it's propellers when it is detecting an error when this Control Stick Command is inputted. If you have further query or concern, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help. Thank you.
2020-1-9
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It is you, not the drone to consider given situation as emergency. Say, you drove your Mavic into the salad bowl on a table during barbecue party with friends ... the props are spinning and splashing salad dressing all over your kid's face ... you want to stop this waste of good food immediately! That's when you must stop the motors by pulling both joysticks down immediately ...

Different, more serious scenario: strong wind gust is pushing your Mavic Mini into a group of people at annual family gathering, drone is out of control ... Kill it!!!
2020-1-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-9 12:20
It is you, not the drone to consider given situation as emergency. Say, you drove your Mavic into the salad bowl on a table during barbecue party with friends ... the props are spinning and splashing salad dressing all over your kid's face ... you want to stop this waste of good food immediately! That's when you must stop the motors by pulling both joysticks down immediately ...

Different, more serious scenario: strong wind gust is pushing your Mavic Mini into a group of people at annual family gathering, drone is out of control ... Kill it!!!

I have not tested this CSC on my MM yet, but on the Spark and MA it does not work during a normal flight!

So for the Spark and MA it is not the user who decide if there is an emergency but the craf does, and if the craft 'thinks; its an emergency than the user can stop the rotors by the CSC command (yes i know it double command...)

So without an error in the system no CSC !
cheers
JJB

2020-1-9
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

JJB* Posted at 1-9 12:25
I have not tested this CSC on my MM yet, but on the Spark and MA it does not work during a normal flight!

So for the Spark and MA it is not the user who decide if there is an emergency but the craf does, and if the craft 'thinks; its an emergency than the user can stop the rotors by the CSC command (yes i know it double command...)

OK, so let's assume an Mavic Mini was guided accidentally into my hypothetical bowl of salad ... she thinks it is emergency situation but does nothing until the pilot performs CSC, right? Meantime she's bouncing all over the table puncturing cans of good cold beer, mulching burgers? That's not good!
2020-1-9
Use props
Spark_Pilot_XxXx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67841 ft
Germany

I changed the setting to be able to cut out the Motors at all time. When things go wrong i dont want to rely on their Software to let me use the CSC. It is very unlikely that you accidently use it, as both sticks need to be At 100% in a specific direction for a specific time.
2020-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Spark_Pilot_XxXx Posted at 1-9 12:43
I changed the setting to be able to cut out the Motors at all time. When things go wrong i dont want to rely on their Software to let me use the CSC. It is very unlikely that you accidently use it, as both sticks need to be At 100% in a specific direction for a specific time.

I don’t really no of any good reason for shutting down motors mid air, once you do that you lose control of your craft, hopefully no damage caused by it falling on someone or someone’s property .
2020-1-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-9 12:41
OK, so Mavic Mini landed accidentally in my hypothetical bowl of salad ... she thinks it is emergency situation but does nothing until the pilot performs CSC, right? Meantime she's bouncing all over the table puncturing cans of good cold beer, mulching burgers? That's not good!

yes....if your MM loves that salad bowl  it will continue to slice the salat into pieces....
Happily when rotors are blocked they will stop spinning.
So when do i ever need in flight a CSC?

If i am clever flying never imo, only when i fly in control towards people ect  ..  but than i am not clever flying. If drone flys away and drone doesn`t see this as an emergency...csc does not work.

a example of a MM fly away....with a CSC, did not stop the rotors....how long do you to need to command a CSC to get some action ?

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2020-1-9
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

JJB* Posted at 1-9 12:56
yes....if your MM loves that salad bowl  it will continue to slice the salat into pieces....

Conclusion: if you have no option to manually kill the motors mid air, then it is not good. Other words, good for nothing. To avoid confusion or accidental CSC the drone should stop motors immediately after detecting obstruction in my salad bowl ...
2020-1-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

It's also pretty complicated for a normal maneuver to find yourself in, you rarely would be pushing the sticks that hard for that long... in that position, not even in C mode.
When you engage that "shut off" of motors, same you can start them manually, there is a notch in the 4 corners of the joystick, you can "feel" the sticks to reach those easily.
Nothing to be worried  
2020-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I would think more than 1 second, I think there are 2 settings one to cut off in emergency the craft determines this by actual collision, or to shut down mid air, this is the way it is in Mavic pro and 2 pro .

I still cannot think of any good reason to turn off mid air or at least I have never heard of any good reason to do it.
2020-1-9
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Last time it was discussed here ... CSC hold for 3 sec, I think? Which is absurd, either way ...
2020-1-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I wonder if there's the risk of triggering an emergency stop unintentionally midflight?
There is no risk.
Imagine what you would be doing with the drone to have the sticks in the CSC position.
The only way you could do that would be to fly as a crazy person and your drone wouldn't last very long.
In normal flight, you'll never have the joysticks close to CSC position.
2020-1-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 1-9 12:25

The drone cannot determine when there is an emergency.
It is up to the pilot to do that.
2020-1-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-9 12:41
OK, so Mavic Mini landed accidentally in my hypothetical bowl of salad ... she thinks it is emergency situation but does nothing until the pilot performs CSC, right? Meantime she's bouncing all over the table puncturing cans of good cold beer, mulching burgers? That's not good!

You are priceless Matthew
2020-1-9
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

Left stick down and right = drone yawing right and descending
Right stick down and left = drone strafing left and moving backwards

yawing right and descending while strafing left and moving in reverse.

I'd love to see a video of that. LOL

2020-1-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

1Eagle Posted at 1-9 13:40
Left stick down and right = drone yawing right and descending
Right stick down and left = drone strafing left and moving backwards

oke,  i tested this.....

see https://forum.dji.com/thread-172296-1-1.html
2020-1-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-10 00:37
By default the CSC procedure is set to "Emergency Only" so it would only be available after a collision.   Pwrsonally I set it to "Always" as I want control.  Even without that safety feature engaged, if you know how the controls work, there is no reason the sticks should ever accidentally be placed in either of the CSC positions.  Performing the maneuver demanded by either CSC position would be physically impossible or implausible, hence the reason they were chosen as the emergency stop.

Straight down while hitting Rth button used to be the way, don’t know if it worked though.
2020-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules