Improvements I'd like to see in the DJI FPV system
2327 5 2020-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

I have been flying the DJI fpv system for almost two months now.  I have been keeping a list of issues and have been editing them as i resolve them.  This list used to be longer, but I've figured work-arounds for many of them.  These are the remaining DJI FPV enhancements I feel are still needed:

OSD ENHANCEMENTS: Add the home arrow, distance to home, altitude, throttle %, mph, warnings, and give us a LARGER text font option. Put mbps and latency milliseconds in the OSD so they can be moved to a more prominent place on the screen. Give us the BetaFlight end of flight summary screen upon disarming showing the stats for the flight.

Fix "public channel" warning bug

RECORDING: create an option to record the OSD on video  (necessary for GPS coordinates in event of crash recovery).  This is crucial.

The MMCX Antennas coming loose is a big problem. There is a lip on the edge of the air unit case that can prevent the antenna from seating properly.

PIXELIZATION BREAKUP: It seems that when in focus mode, there is ALWAYS some pixelation on the side of the picture, even at  short range, high Mbps and with low latency readings.  This performance really should improve somehow (without hurting latency).

SBUS Fast protocol was hyped as being as low as 7ms.  Despite using it, I have never seen anything below 24 or so.

It would be nice to have a CHEAP hand held receiver with a 4 inch screen that you could give to bystanders to they could watch.

Hopefully the next firmware update addresses many of these, especially the OSD issues.

2020-1-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day mc54. Thank you for sharing these information and your insights with regards to this matter. I will forward this information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-1-10
Use props
TechnoCore
lvl.2

United States

I agree with everything you mention. However one correction, the fast SBUS protocol latency isn't displayed anywhere, are you testing it with some kind of equipment or are you just talking about the latency shown in the goggles? The latency displayed in the goggles is the video latency which is separate from control latency, you would still see this same latency if you weren't using the DJI controller.
2020-1-10
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

TechnoCore Posted at 1-10 09:07
I agree with everything you mention. However one correction, the fast SBUS protocol latency isn't displayed anywhere, are you testing it with some kind of equipment or are you just talking about the latency shown in the goggles? The latency displayed in the goggles is the video latency which is separate from control latency, you would still see this same latency if you weren't using the DJI controller.

Makes sense, just wishful thinking on my part to get a video latency of 7Ms

That little video lag when you slip behind a solid object at long range can be disconcerting.....
2020-1-10
Use props
Alkobua
lvl.1
Flight distance : 714049 ft
Italy

Dear DJI developers!

I am using the system now for 2 weeks and i am very happy with it!
I mostly fly into the forest where there are lots of details. So if i don't use the focus mode I always have a very pixelated image.

- I would like to have an option for 60fps, so 25MBits would be enough for high detailed images while flying into the forest.
- Some betaflight OSD features would be great:
  1) Flight timer (A timer that is NOT resetting when disarming)
  2) Warning and error messages (Mostly the "Low Battery" warning). It happened 2 times that I nearly busted my batteries!
  3) Single cell voltage or Mean cell voltage
- A "Camera sharpness" setting would be great
- Battery voltage levels have only one decimal. For flight batery should be two decimals available.
- When flying on 100% scaled image the texts are quiet hard to read. A bigger text font with some colored outlines would make the text better readable!

Best regards,
Chris
2020-6-19
Use props
SmooveG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3556 ft
Netherlands

I assume they have listened to you guys because I flashed a new build with Betaflight 4.2 and it here, Betaflight OSD features in my DJI goggles.
Just make sure to enable "custom OSD" in the goggle menu.
Still exploring all the possibility's but so far so good.
2020-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules