Technical question (Support staff)
2722 11 2014-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

How long can the Phantom 2 vision + stay aloft,  if in theory it had an unlimited power supply?
Are there any restrictions or hardware issues that would be questionable or not reccomended for say a 12 hour running period.?
If limitations exist, what kind of timescale is acceptable?
Technical staff please try and answer this.....
2014-11-16
Use props
DJI-祥天空
lvl.1

China

Dear Mixstreme,
we recommend that our Phantom 2 vision plus need to take a short break after 25 minutes running time due to cool down the high temp of motor

Best Regards
DJI Innovations
2014-11-17
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

DJI-祥天空 Posted at 2014-11-17 20:31
Dear Mixstreme,
we recommend that our Phantom 2 vision plus need to take a short break after 25 minu ...

Thankyou.....   
2014-11-17
Use props
drone7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51998 ft
United States

DJI - Does this mean if I have 3 batteries (Phantom 2 Vision Plus) it is not advisable to use the 3 batteries consecutively  because it would mean flying it for 60 minutes give or take?. If so how long should the interval be before flying it again?
2014-11-17
Use props
goodrichodyssey
lvl.1

United States

I am also interested in that answer. What is the time period 5, 10, minutes?
2014-11-17
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

goodrichodyssey Posted at 2014-11-18 00:50
I am also interested in that answer. What is the time period 5, 10, minutes?

I expect the actual time varies depending on environment, cold / hot weather all have different effects on certain parts. This is where common sense should be applied....

Obviously the cooler the motors the better, so if you give it 5 mins between flights that's usually fine, usually just enough time to get it setup again..  Other parts might not like this but with general temperature testing I really cant find any heat issues at the moment....  Everything cools relatively quickly and performs as designed and well within expectations.  

I was mainly asking about endurance and constant running should we have a power supply that could last for 12 hours.  As I expected these parts are not recommended for long periods of use and will perform better with shorter periods of use, this in turn provides the reliability so many of you enjoy.  
This in no way reflects any kind of issues or any such low end quality, I think the design and setup is great for it general usage.

I'm just checking my options.
2014-11-17
Use props
drone7
lvl.2
United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-18 01:32
I expect the actual time varies depending on environment, cold / hot weather all have different ef ...

I understand your question about the endurance flying continuously for 12 hrs, but no offense that is only in the make belief world you need 36 batteries to do that. I am talking about the real world here, most of us have 2 or more batteries and in the real world we just fly our birds until we exhausted all our batteries then we call it a day. My question to DJI was what is the suggested interval in (time wise in mins) before putting another battery and continue flying. We can't just rely on physical touch (motors) it might not be hot but there might be some internal parts that we don't see and feel that cannot take flying for more than 25 or 40 mins. Gimbal and WiFi extender get hot  even in the first 25 mins but how long can they take it?
2014-11-17
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Like you drone7 I use 3 batteries in quick succession, giving 60 minutes in the air with only the time it takes to swap batteries and re-acquire GPS before taking off again.
Phantom never feels hot, motors not even warm at the end.
In-fact the hottest part of the system after an hour is the back of my smartphone
2014-11-17
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

drone7 Posted at 2014-11-18 02:27
I understand your question about the endurance flying continuously for 12 hrs, but no offense that  ...

Actually drone7, make belief is a lot more simple than you make out, having 36 batteries is not the answer as you would have to power down to swap them, good effort though....
Lets imagine that there was someway to power the 12volt drone with some magical power lead that did away with a battery altogether. Lets say that magic lead was supplying 12volts, what do you think the actual flight time would be with no batteries and no loss of power?
What hardware would be at risk from continued running?

I don't need to explain myself or what this is being used for, but in the "make belief world" these are very important factors despite the very narrow use others have for such equipment.
"Make belief" is a lot closer than you think....

I to have 3 batteries on my Vision+ as stated, I to run them flat and go home....   
The ANSWER given was a short break between every 25 min flight.....  to allow cooling.
This again, is where the common sense kicks in...   You are there and you know your machine.
The question is do you stick to the very vague and safe answer given or do I judge it based upon the heat, actual performance and usual experience of such deployments.
Only you can answer that in your real world scenario.

Incidentally, after 6hrs the Wi-Fi unit was still operating at normal temps, this was my bet on the first hardware fail...... and back to the real world.....

2014-11-17
Use props
drone7
lvl.2
United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-18 03:55
Actually drone7, make belief is a lot more simple than you make out, having 36 batteries is not th ...

mixstreme - I hope I did not offend you in any way thay was not my intention. I guess somethings in life we just have to learn the hard way no matter how cautious we are ...crash or flyaway in our case, but if we can avoid it why not. We are just the end users of their products (DJI) and they know better, any advise from them will benifit all of us. You are right about using our common sense, but our common sense is not 100 percent always right untill we realized we made a mistake. I guess if we don't feel warm and fuzzy about doing certain things  just don't do it. 'Rule of the thumb".
2014-11-17
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

drone7 Posted at 2014-11-18 06:23
mixstreme - I hope I did not offend you in any way thay was not my intention. I guess s ...

Not at all sir.....   No offence taken or directed at you.....
I agree with you and yes, each to their own and to their own set limitations.
DJI do have some great information and the manufacturers recommendation's should always be at the forefront of your mind, innovation comes from experimentation for some....

I totally understand that common sense is only valid to a specific person in a specific situation with specific knowledge, This is where my common sense failed me, So sorry for that. I get so wrapped up and mind-set that I just don't realise....

As for warm and fuzzy, I'm so jealous of the numerous videos I see for my local area, made by people with no fear, no idea of the implications and just pure thrill.
I miss being ignorant to the laws and the consequences of such failures, and maybe its an over zealous  sense of conformity or responsibility that prevents me from risking the perfect shots or flyby.......but I still enjoy my Vision+.......  in my safe surroundings.   "Rule of thumb "- Well said.
Still need that ribbon cable though DJI  ...........
The future is in the eye of the beholder and all that......
Standby.jpg
2014-11-17
Use props
drone7
lvl.2
United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-18 09:40
Not at all sir.....   No offence taken or directed at you.....
I agree with you and yes,  ...

I hear you, same here my first priority is safety. I usually fly in the area where there is no people and I mean just me on the field. My thing is if it crashes which I hope not I would rather crash it on the trees or woods than on people. By the way, I was browsing ebay the other day and I came across this ribbon cable for P2V+ . Here is the  eBay item number: 111511472339  just type in the the 12 digit numbers on the search box on eBay and it should show up. Hope this helps.  By the way cool photo I think they used those in the Transformer movie.
2014-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules