Is GoPro the better company?
1767 23 2020-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SwissT
lvl.1
Switzerland

I am the only who thinks that DJI does not care about the OSMO Action owners?

- Very slow Firmware updates
- Non existing customer support - even in this forum
- DJI does not care about feature requests from the owners
- App is still crap
- We were forced to make account to use a f* ACTION CAM (Others cam work out of the box without a stupid account)
- No information about new Firmware

and so on

My next cam will be a GoPro when the OA is defect or GoPro brings a much better product.
2020-1-11
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

you think GoPro is better Lol.    right now CES 2020 is  the talks and  also the Insta360 1 inch camera that gopro had hte chance and well uh some one already here mentioned they wanted to see a Action II.....

2020-1-11
Use props
SwissT
lvl.1
Switzerland

Ahhh you know all about that insta cam... how is the support? Do they listen to the customer? How about new features in the upcoming FW update?

Dude... almost all your posts are bull... - sry. Think more before you post. -> your post has nothing to do with my topic
2020-1-11
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

its a camera, just go and use it.
2020-1-11
Use props
SwissT
lvl.1
Switzerland

And again. A post what has nothing to to do with the topic. Stop it!
2020-1-11
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Gopro better....... nahhhhhh you are deluded and yes I  have both the 7 and 8, so have experience of the gopro.

2020-1-11
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you have or use the Action when it first came out?  It is a far different camera now than it was at launch!  They've fixed a bunch of things everybody complained about and added a bunch of features.  

The Osmo Action is quite honestly one of the most improved products in DJI's lineup.  

Maybe have a read through the release notes of all the different updates.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... lease_Notes_en_.pdf

- They've released like 6 firmware updates in 7 or 8 months.
- What sort of support are you needing?  Everytime I've called or reached out on their online support forum, they almost immediately respond.  If I don't get a reasonable response, I reach out on Twitter and get a very quick response.
- Doesn't care about feature requests?  The release notes are full of new things everybody asked about from day 1.  Maybe they aren't features or fixes you've asked for, but they've worked on a lot of things people complained about from the beginning.  What features are you looking for that are still missing?
- I rarely use the app.  Its an action camera, so other than using the app to maybe frame at the beginning and then starting a shot, I don't have much use for GoPro or the Mimo app.
- It took about 30 seconds to make the account and activate.  Definitely would prefer not to, but I've got a bunch of DJI drones, so doesn't really make a difference to me.
- Rarely do I see any company provide public information about future updates.  Maybe I don't pay close attention to GoPro, but do they give updates about future firmware?

The Osmo Action was WWWAAAAYYYY better than the GoPro Hero 7!  I had nothing but problems with that thing.  It would freeze up on me all of the time!  I lost a bunch of footage due to that.  The Hero 8 is better, but the Osmo Action still competes well in my opinion.
2020-1-11
Use props
SwissT
lvl.1
Switzerland

There a lot of features I miss. Features that my Yi4k has...

- Bluetooth remote
- Flat color profile (way better in post to set the right color - Normal and D-Cine sucks)
- No manual sharpness level (DJI over sharpen the image)
- Manual WiFi off/on
- Manual BT off/on
- Manual video bitrate
- Permanent battery percentage (DJI shows it only for a few seconds when the screen turn on)
- NTSC or PAL

And yes. You can read about these feature request in many threads - no reaction from DJI...
2020-1-11
Use props
Canonian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37740 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

I am sure that next DJI reaction will be in OA 2
2020-1-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, Sorry for the inconvenience.
For your feedback about the Osmo Action firmware, we'll forward it to the related team, you are recommended to keep close attention to the Osmo Action Release Notes: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... lease_Notes_en_.pdf
Secondly, you mentioned the APP issue, could you please provide more details for better assistance?
For the feature requests, please provide more details, we'll help you forward the suggestion to the related team.
Thank you so much for your kind understanding and support.
2020-1-12
Use props
ebswift
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10299 ft
Australia

DJI has reacted progressively, criticism/suggestions has led to updates at an average of almost one per month as noted above by KlooGee.  I researched GoPro and the DJI Action before purchasing my OA and bought it on face value knowing what it can/can't do, no sense in criticising what they haven't implemented yet.  A full future roadmap of future updated features is just fuel for competition, of course they aren't going to give us that.  Some features that are wanted may even be outside of the capabilities of what is possible on board, we have to wait and see.  But they are reacting to users so we can stay positive that more improvements are coming - this Christmas period likely set development back by a month as always for most companies.  I mainly bought the OA for a special holiday (my wife initially asked me to buy a GoPro 'cause that's the buzzword for an action cam), and the OA did exactly what I expected it to do, I came back with great video memories above and below water, my wife & I are happy with the results and I hope to use it some more.
2020-1-12
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

YI (young Innovators), the company Xiaomi,  Y4k+  yeah liked 2 years to finally dial in the Hue. and  right after that never to be heard of again.  the Support  is worse then ever and creating firmware has stopped.  Sami Lou  walked. from them along with the others, tehir last model I remember was the Yi360 with loads of issues that I no longer follow. they had a defective yi4k tripod section never did good, and  if they would have kept to the camera then pass tehir products off to Wyze and..... Nuff said you're the one that knows it all.

good luck on Yi.
2020-1-12
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

SwissT Posted at 1-11 15:16
There a lot of features I miss. Features that my Yi4k has...

- Bluetooth remote

Hi, I shall try to answer these questions:

- Bluetooth remote
If you are talking about the remote controller or sth. OSMO Action can be controlled via DJI Mimo app.So far no remote controller is supported.

- Flat color profile
Each cameras has its own color profile and people's taste of color varies widely. Actually there is a large a number of luts/ filters/effects provided by PC and apps.I agree it maybe inconvenient. Video editor tool like DJI Mimo or Final Cut  provides a variety of ways to get a customized desirable color.

- No manual sharpness level (DJI over sharpen the image)
For normal color, DJI provides a fixed sharpness.
Fo cinelike color, DJI provides less sharpness.
Just like what I said before, people's taste of sharpness/contrast varies widely, which can be easily tuned in any video editing apps including DJI Mimo.

- Manual WiFi off/on
- Manual BT off/on
There is auto control of WIFI and bluetooth for OSMO Action.
we need WIFI on is because of connecting with DJI Mimo APP. So we you open app and click connect, then the wifi will be on. If action loses connection with Mimo, wifi turns off.
There is also auto control of BT. BT consumes only a little power btw.

- Manual video bitrate
We believe video quality comes first, so there is a fixed bitrate for each resolution.

- Permanent battery percentage (DJI shows it only for a few seconds when the screen turn on)
The design is that battery percentage will be shown when tuning on/ battery is low/ reaching multiples of10 (50%,60%,70%.....)
If this really troubles you ,we shall consider the display when battery still has enough batter.

- NTSC or PAL
NTSC and PAL separate frame rates.
Previous DJI product such as phantom3 , Osmo+ do has this selection because the old camera has to reboot when switching between NTSC and PAL. Now osmo action can change any frame rates(24, 25, 30fps) without any reloading. So we did not need this N/P selection any more. Plz let me know if my understanding misses sth.

Thanks for letting us know what you think of OSMO action, we are still working on the firmware of OA right now, for liveview stream feature actually. Plz let me know if you have any other concerns.

Best!
2020-1-15
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

I would go Insta 360 One R with the 1" sensor... waiting for the reviews.
2020-1-16
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

SwissT Posted at 1-11 13:53
Ahhh you know all about that insta cam... how is the support? Do they listen to the customer? How about new features in the upcoming FW update?

Dude... almost all your posts are bull... - sry. Think more before you post. -> your post has nothing to do with my topic

Insta isn't a new company and they have a good reputation. The dude above was trying to be friendly while you are being quite aggressive. I don't think there's a need for that.

Regarding GoPro, they also have issues, I used to have issues with my GoPro 7 and the fw updates weren't so great also. What was better with GoPro was the UW case options and the fact that it wasn't fogging near as much as the Osmo. I also (still) have a Yi4K with the original 3-axis gimbal. image quality is great, FW updates happen quite often BUT they are also broken quite often... for e.g. the voice commands never worked properly on mine and in one instance, the language in the app was locked to Chinese.
From your posts it seems that you've already discarded the Osmo Action, why don't you get the new GoPro 8? I am sure it is a fantastic camera and you will be happier instead of dealing with all us in here.
2020-1-16
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

DJI Osmo Action today ran as low as $282.00 , the Y4k+ ran as low as 280.00 as well, and the Hero 8 will not drop Lower then 350.00.

I like certain features otehr camera have or do not  have.  One of the good examples is the Protunes of GoPro I am able to set  up ISO min  400, ISO max 1600. on the OA I can not do that.  Over the months Fixes, updates,  added features, are given  Each company listens differently, some companies more then others.  As a side Note what info was just recently offered by the DJI staff in here???

Insta360R, how about the Sony 1 inch camera that came and went.  I feel the 1/2.3rd are played out to the Max about now, and we're going to see a Incrrease in price and a new camera from each company in the future. and  whatever the CES 2020 show in progress is showing.   What was nice was their Super small Insta go but I  did not want   11 sec clips.  On that note there is always One in the Bunch . and they are the  ones that know it all.
2020-1-16
Use props
thrash_273
lvl.3
Flight distance : 595561 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have read alot of gopro user with horror stories, personally i have not had own a single go pro in my life, but i have own alot of dji drones and this OA, bse on my usage all of my dji device are flawless- i will limit the capability of each device - each tool has its purpose. but to answer your question- i think dji is better
2020-1-16
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

I love how things fail to work properly. and quickly we got to  blame  some one. Lol.  I like GoPro for  certain things,  Since I am on a DJI   site less issues are noted here and  the one I have is the Low power  happens once every 100 times of recording to me that is   something I can deal with on my own.  I owned a Phantom v1.1  only issue I had was, I wore out hte motors. Lol and never had any issue that I had to call  up DJI.  Yes we can hear horror stories whoever the Company is.   

F I S H
People complined about I shot at 8:15Am why does gopro not show my time, and Gopro answer is SILENCE!!!!!!!!!!!
2020-1-16
Use props
Trail Features
lvl.1
United States

DJI-ytao Posted at 1-15 21:17
Hi, I shall try to answer these questions:

- Bluetooth remote

"- No manual sharpness level (DJI over sharpen the image)
Just like what I said before, people's taste of sharpness/contrast varies widely, which can be easily tuned in any video editing apps including DJI Mimo."

This feature I do not agree with for two reasons:
1. This is a hidden feature. If no one had told me that turning on cinelike color would turn down the sharpness, I would have never known it did that.
2. I want to do as much image correction in camera as I can to save time in post. To do this, I need to be able to tune settings independently of each other. There are times I want the punchier look with normal color, but still want to control sharpness/WB/EV. Why can we not have an option to independently control sharpness? This has been a requested feature since launch, please put it in the next development sprint.
2020-1-18
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Fishycomics Posted at 1-16 04:06
DJI Osmo Action today ran as low as $282.00 , the Y4k+ ran as low as 280.00 as well, and the Hero 8 will not drop Lower then 350.00.

I like certain features otehr camera have or do not  have.  One of the good examples is the Protunes of GoPro I am able to set  up ISO min  400, ISO max 1600. on the OA I can not do that.  Over the months Fixes, updates,  added features, are given  Each company listens differently, some companies more then others.  As a side Note what info was just recently offered by the DJI staff in here???

The Sony 1" DSC RX0 camera is still here and works perfectly with a gimbal or in a tripod (the in-body stabilization sucks).  However, it uses the Sony Mobile app to stabilize the footage (like GoPro) and Insta until the new FW update changes that. It costs 780€ by the way...
2020-1-21
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Trail Features Posted at 1-18 09:27
"- No manual sharpness level (DJI over sharpen the image)

A question from my side: How can you write all the above complains and talking about saving time in post, what features GoPro has vs the Osmo Action and not know what a "flat color profile" is? That's no 'hidden feature' brother, that's universal

EVERY camera that has a flat profile offers similar characteristics, including less digital sharpening (some more, some less but LESS is usually MORE as you can add as much as you want but you cannot remove it easily without creating halos and weird artifacts.
2020-1-21
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

As per the title is Gopro a betterComany than DJI:

As Gopro has yet to fix a issue, still waiting on  since Nov 2019 a firmware fix.
  Did DJI release new firmware yet. I  got that feature turned off as I do not use the Mimo app.
2020-1-21
Use props
Interceptor_Alpha
lvl.2
United States

KlooGee Posted at 1-11 15:02
Did you have or use the Action when it first came out?  It is a far different camera now than it was at launch!  They've fixed a bunch of things everybody complained about and added a bunch of features.  

The Osmo Action is quite honestly one of the most improved products in DJI's lineup.  

The have made it objectively worse by ruining rock steady, literally the only reason to buy this for use as an action camera.
2020-1-22
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi.

I have owned all the main Hero cameras since the 3 and can say with great certainty that GoPro are not at all good with supporting their hardware or their customers.

While I still think that the Osmo Action has some serious issues, DJI are far better at addressing things with updates and it would also appear that they take on-board what their customers are saying. I don't have that much experience of dealing with DJI direct so am not in a position to say how good or bad they are with direct customer support.

That all said, the issues with both companies are mostly to do with the functionality of their cameras, or more precisely, the lack of functionality on release compared to the published specifications. In that respect and despite the fact that DJI are far better at addressing and responding to firmware and software issues. They are both the same as they both release unfinished products to the market and expect the customers to accept that fact and wait for updates to fix or complete functionality, which they sometimes make worse. Which is absolutely unacceptable.

The only thing I can say and this is totally wrong and almost sound defeatist but it's probably a case of "pick the devil you know".

BTW. I know a few people who have said that Insta are even worse.

Cheers,
Dave.
2020-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules