New M2P owner! Loving it!
1009 16 2020-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
swartlkk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 369560 ft
United States

I just picked up a new Mavic 2 Pro to help do quick checks on our work (agricultural drainage installation); mainly to see if we have any repairs to make in a field as well as to do survey work on new potential projects to hopefully aid us in locating existing subsurface drainage.
Figured I would say hello and show some of pictures I've taken while getting aquainted with my new work toy. I have a lot to learn, but I know that I'm not going to learn a thing with the drone in it's case!
My parents place & also our home base for our drainage business.

My parents place.

My parents place.

My in-laws house.

In-laws house.

In-laws house.

An example of a pattern drained field. This is not our work, just the field that is south of my house so I fly over it all the time.

Example of pattern drained field - not our work.

Example of pattern drained field - not our work.

It is a dream to fly so far! I have had a few weird rear sensor triggers out in wide open spaces (100+feet above ground 1000+ft from the closest obstacle on an overcast day) where the drone will stop for no apparent reason. After a vision system calibration, I haven't noticed it again.

I'm looking forward to reading & learning from all of you on here!

2020-1-12
Use props
dutch937
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322461 ft
Canada

Very nice...Its a great tool and also alot of fun!!
2020-1-12
Use props
Balaes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14241171 ft
  • >>>
Romania

congratulations
2020-1-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I can see why!
Nice images.
2020-1-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Welcome to the club.
2020-1-13
Use props
neilfisher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385243 ft
Canada

Normal farming questions... whatcha growin' and how many acres ya got?
2020-1-13
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome aboard the Mavic train !
2020-1-16
Use props
fans72b2fe71
lvl.1
United States

neilfisher Posted at 1-13 14:07
Normal farming questions... whatcha growin' and how many acres ya got?

We used to farm around 2500 acres of corn, wheat, & soybeans. Dad still owns around 350 tilable acres, but just rents it to a local farmer. Our grain system is also rented out. Now my father and I install field drain tile full time; something my grandfather started in 1973 as fill-in work that he didn't want to pay someone else to do and now we do as a service to others (farms, orchards, vineyards, etc). Here's a picture of our main piece of equipment:

JD9220 with custom built tile plow by Split Pine Farms, Inc.

JD9220 with custom built tile plow by Split Pine Farms, Inc.

We also have two backhoes and a smaller tractor for pulling the tile stringers.

Here's a a cell phone video I shot a quite a few years ago --> Laying 8" field drain tile

Sometime soon maybe I'll get some decent videos of us working using the M2P. I also plan on getting an action camera (GoPro or equivalent) to take around with me and get some video of what we do.

2020-1-16
Use props
fans72b2fe71
lvl.1
United States

It wouldn't let me link to the Youtube video for some reason... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njFvJIulMno

BTW, thanks for the welcome!!
2020-1-16
Use props
ernie_e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299380 ft
United States

Great shots. Thanks for sharing.
2020-1-16
Use props
swartlkk
lvl.1
United States

I'm not sure why my screen name changed, but I changed it back. Seems it didn't fix it for those posts that were made when it was screwed up though... The two posts by fans72b2fe71 were from me...
2020-1-16
Use props
Mr Sepo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

Nice pics man.
2020-1-16
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats and welcome to the club!
2020-1-16
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans72b2fe71 Posted at 1-16 11:13
We used to farm around 2500 acres of corn, wheat, & soybeans. Dad still owns around 350 tilable acres, but just rents it to a local farmer. Our grain system is also rented out. Now my father and I install field drain tile full time; something my grandfather started in 1973 as fill-in work that he didn't want to pay someone else to do and now we do as a service to others (farms, orchards, vineyards, etc). Here's a picture of our main piece of equipment:[view_image]
We also have two backhoes and a smaller tractor for pulling the tile stringers.

Wow: is that implement attached to the Deere by a three point hitch?  If so, its amazing that you get enough ground clearance to travel with it.
2020-1-17
Use props
swartlkk
lvl.1
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 1-17 05:39
Wow: is that implement attached to the Deere by a three point hitch?  If so, its amazing that you get enough ground clearance to travel with it.

Since the 3pt moves in an arc, more clearance is gained the higher it goes. The plow will end up 3+ feet off the ground depending on how the shank is angled (upper cylinder) when the 3pt is all the way up and the plow lift cylinder (middle cylinder) is fully retracted. We rarely drag the plow even when entering/exiting fields with sharp inclines.

I'd grab another picture of the plow in the full up position for you, but with the temps down near the single digits and wind chills below zero Fahrenheit, I really don't want to test the batteries on the big tractor if I don't have to.
2020-1-17
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

swartlkk Posted at 1-17 07:23
Since the 3pt moves in an arc, more clearance is gained the higher it goes. The plow will end up 3+ feet off the ground depending on how the shank is angled (upper cylinder) when the 3pt is all the way up and the plow lift cylinder (middle cylinder) is fully retracted. We rarely drag the plow even when entering/exiting fields with sharp inclines.

I'd grab another picture of the plow in the full up position for you, but with the temps down near the single digits and wind chills below zero Fahrenheit, I really don't want to test the batteries on the big tractor if I don't have to.

Got you! I also forgot to realize the amazing height of the tractor-which also explains that the 3 point will make the clearance.  
2020-1-17
Use props
swartlkk
lvl.1
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 1-17 12:12
Got you! I also forgot to realize the amazing height of the tractor-which also explains that the 3 point will make the clearance.

Yeah, the tires are almost 6ft tall just to put some perspective on things.
2020-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules