Using map boundaries to fly
2962 7 2020-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dark13star
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16739 ft
United States

I'm a new Mavic Mini owner and I'm struggling to find a place to fly it, other than in my house or tiny yard in Denver, CO. The problem is that even if the airspace is listed as safe, all of the parks and open space in Denver and sourounding towns have rules against launching and controlling drones. Looking at the maps, most of the open space areas in surounding towns (near the foothills) have corners and borders that are not included in the open space designation. Would I be asking for trouble to fly from those areas and use the airspace over the open space? I'm concerned that the enforecement officials would find me to be trying to put one over on them if I tried to explain that I was  outside the border and flying in legal air space.
We do have national forests in the mountains where I could legally fly, but most of them are above the ceiling limits of the mini. I'm looking for places to fly on the plains.

Another alternative is to drive out towards Kansas and find remote roads. I'd be flying over private farm land, but in sparcely populated areas. I guess I might have to confront farmers out there, but maybe less risky than trying to explain the subtleties of map boundries to law enforcement officials.

Many thanks and I would love to hear from others on the Front Range of Colorado, where our options seem to be quite limited.

2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check out this page for 5 recommendations - https://uavcoach.com/where-to-fly-drone/denver/
2020-1-15
Use props
dark13star
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-15 02:11
Check out this page for 5 recommendations - https://uavcoach.com/where-to-fly-drone/denver/

Unfortunately, that page is wrong, or at least out of date. Other than the two RC fields, the other places forbid drones under newer open space laws. I already called all the appropriate management agencies and found the rules online.

It seems illegal to operate in any public space around here.
2020-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dark13star Posted at 1-15 06:10
Unfortunately, that page is wrong, or at least out of date. Other than the two RC fields, the other places forbid drones under newer open space laws. I already called all the appropriate management agencies and found the rules online.

It seems illegal to operate in any public space around here.

We have rules here that forbid taking off in national parks, but if you take off from the street they cannot control where you then fly as it regulated in the air not the ground.
2020-1-15
Use props
dark13star
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-15 07:41
We have rules here that forbid taking off in national parks, but if you take off from the street they cannot control where you then fly as it regulated in the air not the ground.

Thanks for your reply. I take it you are local. What you said is exactly what I was thinking. Since all the county open space areas (in addition to the National Park) seem to have rules against drones, I was planning from launching and controlling from just outside of them, but wondering if the enforcement people get that or will harass me. For example, it is against the rules to fly in Bear Creek Park, but there is a wide swath along Morrison Road that is outside the park boundaries. Also, since Green Mountain is open space and no longer legal, as the article says, there are sections along Alameda Ave, that are off the road, but outside the open space boundaries.

I was just wondering if my strategy was sound and it appears it may be. May I ask if and how often you get confronted when doing this?
2020-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dark13star Posted at 1-15 07:55
Thanks for your reply. I take it you are local. What you said is exactly what I was thinking. Since all the county open space areas (in addition to the National Park) seem to have rules against drones, I was planning from launching and controlling from just outside of them, but wondering if the enforcement people get that or will harass me. For example, it is against the rules to fly in Bear Creek Park, but there is a wide swath along Morrison Road that is outside the park boundaries. Also, since Green Mountain is open space and no longer legal, as the article says, there are sections along Alameda Ave, that are off the road, but outside the open space boundaries.

I was just wondering if my strategy was sound and it appears it may be. May I ask if and how often you get confronted when doing this?

Was this you -
2020-1-15
Use props
dark13star
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-15 08:00
Was this you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoTeno6ZGc8

LOL, no. That's certainly not helping the image of drone flying around here though.
2020-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dark13star Posted at 1-15 08:19
LOL, no. That's certainly not helping the image of drone flying around here though.

I guess its probably not very helpful.
2020-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules