Mavic Mini Fly App on 10.8" MatePad Pro Android Tablet
6144 15 2020-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_D45gNGwhOSEF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37536 ft
United States

Just wanted to share my Reddit post for those of you who are looking for tablets compatible with the Fly app ...

Got frustrated with DJI’s controller design not updated to fit newer phones with skinny display borders; was also having a hard time viewing live feed on a 6" screen for construction-building as-built work. So decided to use a Huawei MatePad Pro and decent tablet mount to improve on the setup.

DJI Fly app worked well and stable on the MatePad Pro. Image resolution on 10.8" (2560x1600) is crisp, and app layout (info, icon & buttons) are proportioned well to the screen size. Only weird part is that menu text is a bit over-sized, but good thing is its not accessed much except for initializing the flight. Although Google Play is pre-installed on the MatePad Pro by reseller, the DJI Fly App was downloaded from DJI's website.

The 10.8" size may be overkill for most users who may have bought the Mavic Mini for its portability. But in my case, the MatePad Pro tablet also doubles as a lightweight Windows notebook replacement for field work and presentation.

Hopefully this info is helpful for those of you who prefer Android tablets and are looking for something compatible with the DJI Fly. Would be great to hear about other tablets that works with the DJI Fly app for Mavic Mini.

Menu text a bit over-sized

Menu text a bit over-sized

10.8" screen Fly App layout

10.8" screen Fly App layout

MatePad Pro tablet running Fly app

MatePad Pro tablet  running Fly app
2020-1-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

What would not be a good processor HUAWEI Kirin, but it is too far from the performance of the latest processors from Apple
2020-1-15
Use props
Axotopia
lvl.2
United States

Alevpi Posted at 1-15 00:30
What would not be a good processor HUAWEI Kirin, but it is too far from the performance of the latest processors from Apple

Sorry, purpose of the post was to help other DJI Android users to find an Android based tablet that works with the Fly app.

DJI Fly app performance on the MatePad Pro is working smoothly and stable.  It may be the only tablet posted to date on this forum that has display layout scaling  correctly.  Will really like to see other users posts their tablet compatibility on this forum to enchance the experience of all Mini users..

Fly app is working marginally on the iPad based on a post on the 1-13, hopefully that will change soon.  The Fly apps needs to improve,  not just getting tablets added to compatibility list, but more smartphones as well.

Not trying to skirt your comments on chip hardware comparison, that may be a discussion on a different forum topic
2020-1-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for sharing this informative insights with regards to the MatePad Pro Tablet. Upon checking the said tablet is not yet listed as a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini as of the moment, Rest assured that our DJI R&D team are continuously testing multiple mobile devices to be added on the said lists in the future. Thank you and safe flying.
2020-1-15
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Axotopia Posted at 1-15 09:24
Sorry, purpose of the post was to help other DJI Android users to find an Android based tablet that works with the Fly app.

DJI Fly app performance on the MatePad Pro is working smoothly and stable.  It may be the only tablet posted to date on this forum that has display layout scaling  correctly.  Will really like to see other users posts their tablet compatibility on this forum to enchance the experience of all Mini users..

Maybe for android, but I use an Apple iPad Air2 and love it. Runs smooth and stable and around here, you can find used ones pretty cheap too. But I get that some maybe looking for an android solution, and don't get me wrong, I use both android and apple products. So you're suggestion should be a good one!!
2020-1-15
Use props
Axotopia
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-15 09:24
Hi. Thank you for sharing this informative insights with regards to the MatePad Pro Tablet. Upon checking the said tablet is not yet listed as a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini as of the moment, Rest assured that our DJI R&D team are continuously testing multiple mobile devices to be added on the said lists in the future. Thank you and safe flying.

Thanks for the clarification.  Fully understand that only DJI Supported Mobile Devices have been tested to function properly.
Looking forward to DJI's R&D team testing tablets for the Fly app, it is a form factor that is very relevant to how some of us uses the Mavic Mini.  The Fly app works serendipitously  well on the MatePad Pro, hopefully we'll see the MatePad Pro added to the list
2020-1-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Axotopia Posted at 1-15 11:34
Thanks for the clarification.  Fully understand that only DJI Supported Mobile Devices have been tested to function properly.
Looking forward to DJI's R&D team testing tablets for the Fly app, it is a form factor that is very relevant to how some of us uses the Mavic Mini.  The Fly app works serendipitously  well on the MatePad Pro, hopefully we'll see the MatePad Pro added to the list

You are more than welcome and thank you for your understanding and support.
2020-1-15
Use props
Axotopia
lvl.2
United States

Just want to add a couple of screenshots from the MatePad Pro for reference with other tablet posting:

Camera view with Movie mode dialogue activated

Menu
2020-1-15
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Do you find the brightness of that tablet to be adequate?  I'd like to have a larger and easier-to-read display than what I get from my Samsung Note 8.
2020-1-15
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

Axotopia Posted at 1-15 09:24

DJI Fly app performance on the MatePad Pro is working smoothly and stable.  It may be the only tablet posted to date on this forum that has display layout scaling  correctly.  Will really like to see other users posts their tablet compatibility on this forum to enchance the experience of all Mini users..

Everyone has been helped for a long time...

And only those who can't read beyond the second page of the forum are tormented by the torment of choice...
2020-1-15
Use props
Axotopia
lvl.2
United States

Sigmo Posted at 1-15 19:21
Do you find the brightness of that tablet to be adequate?  I'd like to have a larger and easier-to-read display than what I get from my Samsung Note 8.

Your Samsung Note 8 is supposed to have an incredible 1200nits brightness.  The 10.8" MatePad Pro is 540 nits, Tab S4 and iPad Pro is 585 and 600 respectively.  Unfortunately nothing will compare to your Note 8.
2020-1-15
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Axotopia Posted at 1-15 21:28
Your Samsung Note 8 is supposed to have an incredible 1200nits brightness.  The 10.8" MatePad Pro is 540 nits, Tab S4 and iPad Pro is 585 and 600 respectively.  Unfortunately nothing will compare to your Note 8.

Exactly.  The Note 8 is the brightest gadget I could have ended up with, and yet, I have a hard time seeing it well in bright daylight.  It's even brighter than the Crystal Sky displays.
2020-1-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Axotopia Posted at 1-15 11:34
Thanks for the clarification.  Fully understand that only DJI Supported Mobile Devices have been tested to function properly.
Looking forward to DJI's R&D team testing tablets for the Fly app, it is a form factor that is very relevant to how some of us uses the Mavic Mini.  The Fly app works serendipitously  well on the MatePad Pro, hopefully we'll see the MatePad Pro added to the list

Fully understand that only DJI Supported Mobile Devices have been tested to function properly.
Looking forward to DJI's R&D team testing tablets for the Fly app ...
hopefully we'll see the MatePad Pro added to the list

Don't hold your breath.
DJI test very few tablets and rarely add anything to their sparse recommended devices list
The Fly app works serendipitously well on the MatePad Pro
So it should.
Huawei has made the best flying tablets for several years.

2020-1-16
Use props
Axotopia
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-16 01:45
Fully understand that only DJI Supported Mobile Devices have been tested to function properly.
Looking forward to DJI's R&D team testing tablets for the Fly app ...
hopefully we'll see the MatePad Pro added to the list

Yeah, was just being hopeful that since DJI is Shenzhen based, majority of their engineers are probably personally running Huawei phones and tablets given how ubiquitous Huawei is in China.
2020-1-17
Use props
W.Y.LEE
lvl.1
Malaysia

Additional info, DJI Fly apps does not worked with Huawei Matepad T8 too, even though this tablet is running android 10 too.
So sad. Really hope these simple tablets can run the apps.
2020-10-10
Use props
djiuser_2IvjuGRfAhOO
New
Flight distance : 35515 ft

Andorra

I want to know if the device Huawei MatePad 10.4 4gb Ram + 64gb run the aplicacion DJI FLY for a DJI MAVIC AIR 2?
2021-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules