21995 28 2020-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
moejavi
lvl.1

Czechia

Dear flocks,
I hope you amazing days and incredible flights,
here is my problem, first of all, DJI drones was my dream that came true after I moved from my country while it was prohibited to fly a drone there, now I am located in Czech republic and I brought a DJI Mavic mini as ' I am beginner' and as I trusted those videos on youtube and reviews about how great mini concept of a drone Mavic mini is!

I brought it and with a lot of enthusiasm, I flew with a lot of ambition and I can't believe or describe how was the feeling for the first time.

However, long story short I started to experience the other issue ' All that glitters is not gold ' well then I began to experience a signal interference, yes I have to admit that I am flying in urban neighborhood where probably there is wifi interference" but tell me how many miles I should travel not to get a wifi in our civilized world ??

Now with that issue, I never flighted more than 100 meters away even less.

Please now if I may ask, is anyone else experiencing the same thing, and please DJI is there any probability that I can return this or is my Mavic dud or something?
2020-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Make sure you have your antenna orientated correctly and some people have reported putting their phone into airplane mode helps.  Also try to fly somewhere open and away from wifi just to test its not the drone at fault.
2020-1-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. As DAFlys advised at post 2. Please check the orientation of the antenna and place the mobile device on airplane mode to isolate the issue. I would recommend to try flying the drone in a different location with less interference. May I know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using? In addition, I will be posting an official DJI Tutorial Video for the best practices when flying the drone. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

2020-1-15
Use props
hanzCZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74882 ft
Czechia

Set routine (task) to disable WiFi when DJI Fly app start. It helped me, and you don't have to think about it when you're going to fly..
2020-1-15
Use props
Luka_BiH_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 853110 ft
Netherlands

I am from Bosnia and I have european version too. Use phone in aeroplane mode (if you have mobile data fira open map and let it load and then use aeroplane mode). In nature with minimum other wifis I get 1-1.5 KM with no transmition lag. In urban area I get between 500 and 1000m. And that corresponds to stated 2.4 and 5.8 ghz range. Everything else in my opinion is gambling.

Aeroplane mode helps alot!!!! Also try to always maintain visual contact (avoid objects between you and drone). Keep your antennas pointed the right way. Always check rth height after drone goes up. Make rth height highter than anything where you are gonna fly.  Dont push it with distance and strong winds. People keep testing distance like it is some kind of competition. It might be fun to some people bit in my opinion that is not what drones are about, anyway this little thing has great distance and fly time compared to most drones
2020-1-15
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Hello and welcome @moejavi

What you're experiencing is pretty much normal in urban environment. I've identified a problem in which MM does not respond correctly to signal degradation, interference and weakening. I wouldn't push further than 50 to 100 m at best above residential houses.

Mavic Mini is not the best nor the worst 2.4 GHz (the longest reaching freq. in EU) drone, I do believe it's pretty good if the signal and warning information system worked perfectly, but it may not, and you risk losing your drone for that. More expensive drones have more sophisticated signal transceivers but not far off in power because of regulatory restraints.
2020-1-15
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

After you connect to the drone and start up app, just before you fly turn all your devices into airplane mode. Your smart watch also. That way you have the map etc but without any interference. My Apple Watch caused a lot of issues with the compass etc.
2020-1-15
Use props
Cosmin Popa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 653 ft
Cyprus

Here's my (very short) personal experience with flying in the city:
Next to my flat, I lose signal less than 70 meters up in the air. Loads of signal interference on the graph. 10 blocks away, next to the beach (there's still a fair amount of houses around) I never lost signal even when I lost visual of the drone, probably a couple hundreds. I still had some interference on the graph.
I could only guess the Mini can fly pretty far away when there's less signal interference, in remote places or just away from areas full of radio antennas.
2020-1-15
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

OP - try a range extender, the "Three Kings" brand is pretty good, it's better than other brands because it holds the antenna in 2 places top and bottom.
It is also very cheap so worth a try.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Threek ... oller/dp/B07YXT91MW

This video from Skyhighfilms, show's you what it is and the performance improvement in the urban environment

2020-1-15
Use props
moejavi
lvl.1

Czechia

Thank you all for your valuable replies, yesterday i put my phone over airplane mode and it made an incredible difference.

i will keep you posted with whats comes up!
2020-1-16
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

moejavi Posted at 1-16 00:59
Thank you all for your valuable replies, yesterday i put my phone over airplane mode and it made an incredible difference.

Nice to know!
Happy flying!
2020-1-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

moejavi Posted at 1-16 00:59

Glad to hear that using airplane mode has helped to make an incredible difference in distance.  Be safe and keep on flying.
2020-1-16
Use props
cK-mini
lvl.3
Indonesia

lannes Posted at 1-15 17:59
OP - try a range extender, the "Three Kings" brand is pretty good, it's better than other brands because it holds the antenna in 2 places top and bottom.
It is also very cheap so worth a try.

alluminium foil did better than that.. i saw someone tried it on YT..
2020-1-16
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

cK-mini Posted at 1-16 06:08
alluminium foil did better than that.. i saw someone tried it on YT..

I'm sure tin foil works as well, it's the same principle, but I prefer a sturdy and foldable unit rather than home made.

I don't use the range extenders much, I'm in the middle of modding my controller to take the Titan t-lock antenna mount, planning to use a Titan Cyclone 5.8ghz  14dbi circular polarised amplified antenna with MM

2020-1-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 1-16 06:19
I'm sure tin foil works as well, it's the same principle, but I prefer a sturdy and foldable unit rather than home made.

I don't use the range extenders much, I'm in the middle of modding my controller to take the Titan t-lock antenna mount, planning to use a Titan Cyclone 5.8ghz  14dbi circular polarised amplified antenna with MM

lannes, your going to have a sweet set up when done modding.
2020-1-16
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-16 15:30
lannes, your going to have a sweet set up when done modding.

It unfortunately voids the waranty and any refresh
2020-1-16
Use props
djiuser_6PS6XLNemW52
lvl.1
Italy

Hi Guys, I have experienced some connection problems losing signal on the remote a couple of times.
I have follow the suggestions some of you proposed and actually I have to say I have improved a lot the distance and connection stability.

These what I do when flight:
- airplane mode on the phone after departure
- installed a remote controller antenna signal  booster (like the one in the picture)
- remove flight cache every few flights

2020-7-8
Use props
djiuser_TNjnn61RSYGg
New

United States

Thats because the mini 1 isn't that good as the mini 2
2020-12-9
Use props
djiuser_A8JOTR1fSRaj
New

Latvia

Same issue,range is horrible,i vent out chasing cars on ice rank,rural field,no wifi,no buildings and at the other side of.the track (500m) video would lag and i almost crashed few times because of this,never the less,most of the time i het signal interference message weak.signal etc,absolutely horrible signal,drone is all good,but im shocked by signal problems,it acts like chinese €30 drone
2021-2-19
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Yes, range can be pretty bad in an urban environment.  From my house, i can only get a couple hundred meters in one direction.  I don't know what is over that direction, but it's always bad.  Other directions are better.
For djiuser_A8JOTR1fSRaj, I'm going to guess that there actually was something over on the other side of that ice rink.  May or may not have been WiFi, but those frequencies are also used by lots of other stuff that can interfere with the drone.
2021-2-19
Use props
djiuser_YcLNbuYEEBpW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240240 ft
Bulgaria

Hello folks, today I ordered the Mavic Mini SE Fly More Combo.

I am concerned about the signal issues related to GSM/3G/4G/5G antennas and other...

Of course the drone has not arrived yet, but I want to be prepared when it does.

My experience with drones is little - I have a chinese drone without even a serial number which does not worth even half the price the DJI is.

When I flew it near the top of the building in which I live, I almost lost it, I also have a recording.
Yes, you probably guessed it - on the top roof there is A LOT of antennas

My main question is should I expect the same behavior with the DJI drone ?
2022-4-23
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
United States

Welcome to the real world of congested radio bands.  Manufacturers can improve the ability of receive systems to survive interference, but there are limits to what can be done.  Some drones will work better than others.  The Mini uses WiFi technology which is OK, but not great.  DJI's OccuSync systems are better, but more expensive.
2022-4-23
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Get mini 2 or something with Occusync. It combats interference match better than enhanced wifi. Mini fix onto one wifi channel and sticks to it. OS can hop channels whenever a low interference channel is detected. I use US version mini in urban and get 1km and interference will deteriorate from there depending on the severity of interference. EU mini is worse with smaller transmission power. I don;t think leaving city is necessarily what you want to do. People mostly fly to film interesting things and I doubt you find much out in the vast field unless it is a spectacular scene. The best you can do is make sure antenna is in the best orientation and pick channel manually with the least interference in your flight location. Drone will reboot to switch channel to make sure to do it before takeoff. Auto channel selection works alright for me most of the time so I don't really manually pick channel.
2022-4-23
Use props
Infinite FREEMAN
lvl.2
Bulgaria

So I guess it is just best if I can avoid big anttennas at least somehow.

Maybe a "dumb" question, but I will ask it anyway: When there is signal interference, let's say strong(heavy) interference - will the drone basically do whatever it wants unless it losts signal from the RC completely ?
I mean will it just stand still (if tehre is no strong wind) or will behave unexpectedly ? And will the GPS be affected too ?

I really appreciate your answers, Thank you !

Otherwise:
According to "captain drone" on YouTube - the Mini SE is more stable in the air, and aparrently faster.

At the end of the day I know it is 2.7K, not 4K, but not that much of an issue, and more storage space saved LOL :-)
I already paid for the drone, so I am just waiting for processing the order.

Compared to my KF102 Chinese drone which I got at he end of January this year, this drone is just spectacular.
I wasn't really aware that the limit is 500 meters above, but again it is great compared to the 120 meters with the chinese, kinda no brand drone that I own now. Not to mention that it is illegal.
( I saw at the specs "3000 meters max takoff altitude" and guess what I thought ! Yes ... but nope ! ;) ) Nevermind...
2022-4-24
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
United States

Simple answer is that if the drone loses signal, it will stop.  After 11 seconds of no signal, it will initiate whatever loss of signal procedure ( return to home, hover, or land ) you have set up.
2022-4-24
Use props
Cangemi
New

Brazil

Good night,

Anyone who has the DIJ Mini Drone, could you take a doubt?
Regarding the photo, does it come with the Latitude and Longitude information of the place?
2022-4-24
Use props
Infinite FREEMAN
lvl.2
Bulgaria

By The Way, what interference would you think I'd have in my neighborhood on 5.8 GHz ?

I live in a small town, so ... at least near me - the only 5G network is... mine.  

2022-4-25
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
United States

By The Way, what interference would you think I'd have in my neighborhood on 5.8 GHz ?

I live in a small town, so ... at least near me - the only 5G network is... mine.  

Lucky you!

However a couple things to note.  I assume that was sampling from your phone at ground level.  First is that when the drone gets a hundred feet up, it will see FAR more than your phone sees at ground level.  So there could well be something there that you don't see on your phone.  The other major one is that your phone app is most likely only looking for 802.11 type WiFi signals.  It most likely is totally ignoring any other type of signal.  For example, a video link that is not using 802.11could have a very strong signal, but a WiFi analyzer won't see it.  There are many other types of emission in the 5 GHz band.
2022-4-25
Use props
Infinite FREEMAN
lvl.2
Bulgaria

I agree.

Just for the record - the screenshot is from inside my home on the 6th floor.
2022-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules