Lost my drone
741 21 2020-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ludvik.zahl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19413 ft

Norway

so it is the second day that i have used my brand new mavic pro and i managed to lose it.
i was taking some beautiful shots from reinebringen, norway today and got to fucused on what was happening on the screen to notice that i was flying straight towards a mountain.
i didnt even notice that i had flown behind where i was standing because the drone was so high up.
so eventually i lost connection to the remote as soon as i got a certain amount of mountain between the controller and the drone. good thing it automatically returns to home right? nope.
the shot i was going for first was in a open area so i had the return to home altitude set to 40m which was more than enough, but the mountain i was heading for is about 448m masl, so im not sure if it just hovered until the battery died or if it tried to return home and crashed into the mountain side but its gone for sure.
i tried to get to the last recorded location but it was not possible to get there. if the crash didnt break it the rain for sure will anyways so i've just accepted that it's gone.
it sucks but at least i have learned from this experiance and i will be alot more carefull with the next drone that im gonna buy.

2020-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try posting your log here -https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Upload/
2020-1-15
Use props
ludvik.zahl
lvl.1

Norway

DAFlys Posted at 1-15 07:42
Try posting your log here -https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Upload/

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/UFZQQ87BPRTGPYS2ANGU/#

as you can see i cant really get to it
2020-1-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the incident happened to your DJI Mavic Pro. I will highly recommend you to sync your flight records on the DJI Go 4 application and contact our support team at DJI SUPPORT for you to open a  ticket case and corresponding resolution will be provided. Please note that DJI can only perform data analysis for units falling within the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2020-1-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi ludvik,

Nice area to fly, hope to be there this summer!

But sorry for your unfortunately loss!.

At 8m32s flying at 499 meters height you started to push het down.
All the way from 499 to 320 meters, at 9m28s where the VPS height started to indicate 8.1 meter.
Continue down, so finally it was flown into the mountain, well actually it landed by the use of an autolanding as the vps height < 0.5 meter and 100% stick down.After landing it tumbled over....
Camera was facing forward, so you did no see that the mountain was coming close.
Last position > 67.92841700 / 13.07788600.

cheers
JJB

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2020-1-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

i didnt even notice that i had flown behind where i was standing because the drone was so high up.
so eventually i lost connection to the remote as soon as i got a certain amount of mountain between the controller and the drone. good thing it automatically returns to home right? nope.
the shot i was going for first was in a open area so i had the return to home altitude set to 40m which was more than enough, but the mountain i was heading for is about 448m masl, so im not sure if it just hovered until the battery died or if it tried to return home and crashed into the mountain side but its gone for sure.

It looks like you have posted data from another flight.
In the flight data you posted, you did not fly behind any obstacle.
You did not lose signal
Your drone did not RTH
You landed the drone

Post the data from the correct flight if you want to find out what happened.

2020-1-15
Use props
Micato
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2057103 ft
Croatia

As I look at this flight log, you have force landed on water. I am not very experienced in rewieving flight logs. Sorry for your loss.
2020-1-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Micato Posted at 1-15 15:10
As I look at this flight log, you have force landed on water. I am not very experienced in rewieving flight logs. Sorry for your loss.

At take off the baro heigt is set to zero, at a height of 312 metets VPS height starts to measure values.
Shortly after a Forcelanding due to the fact of 100% stick down and VPS height < 0.5.

No water landing imo, but a very high tree or mountain slope....

But OP can explain more, guess he lost his video feed, not the data connection.

cheers
JJB
2020-1-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 1-16 04:50
At take off the baro heigt is set to zero, at a height of 312 metets VPS height starts to measure values.
Shortly after a Forcelanding due to the fact of 100% stick down and VPS height < 0.5.

See post #8
2020-1-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

i know,  but my reaction is than still valid to #10.

Mayby Ludvig will explain, not always is waht people think that happen is really what happend.
Seeing this log, decscending for that long time  plus VPS ect....could make sense to his loss.

cheers
JJB
2020-1-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 1-16 05:13
i know,  but my reaction is than still valid to #10.

Mayby Ludvig will explain, not always is waht people think that happen is really what happend.

What makes sense is that it's a different flight because none of the details in his description are shown in the flight data.
There's no flying behind an obstacle, RTH, losing signal or crashing.
It's not the flight he described.

What's odd is that the spot he landed appears to be water.
Google Earth shows no land there.
I'm not sure how that fits the data or his story.

2020-1-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 1-16 05:33
What makes sense is that it's a different flight because none of the details in his description are shown in the flight data.
There's no flying behind an obstacle, RTH, losing signal or crashing.
It's not the flight he described.

mayby yes   mayby not   
I never have seen sea level at that height in Norway!
Baro sensor can go off by meters, not by 300 meters.
And if it droped in the sea, than for sure he wasn`t out there for searching....
so lets wait and see his reaction.

cheers
JJB
2020-1-16
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Humm not sure about 'landing in water' - its mountain shadow surely.  Here's the view from the road approx along the sightline towards where the drone landed....

2020-1-16
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Lamplighter55 Posted at 1-16 14:08
Humm not sure about 'landing in water' - its mountain shadow surely.  Here's the view from the road approx along the sightline towards where the drone landed....

[view_image]

... oh and the view from along the flight vector - pointing to the landing area (the reverse side of the ridge seen in the other view).

2020-1-16
Use props
ludvik.zahl
lvl.1

Norway

i was flying backwards so i didnt see what happend, but after looking at find my drone / google earth im pretty sure its between the lower peak and the higher peak (its kinda hard to see it on google maps because its in shadow). therefore i lost connection because there was alot of rock between the RC and the drone. the picture above is the first peak, then it goes down a little, and then all the way up to ''reinebringen''. on the picture below you can see where the last recorded location of the drone was before i lost connection.
there is a lake up in the mountain but its not where the drone is. the black is just shadow. i am certain that the flight log is the one im refering to. i lost signal to the drone and never connected again, so im not sure if it just hovered until the battery died, or if it tried to RTH.

2020-1-16
Use props
ludvik.zahl
lvl.1

Norway

i was standing on the parking spot in the lower left of the picture
2020-1-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ludvik.zahl Posted at 1-16 15:21
i was flying backwards so i didnt see what happend, but after looking at find my drone / google earth im pretty sure its between the lower peak and the higher peak (its kinda hard to see it on google maps because its in shadow). therefore i lost connection because there was alot of rock between the RC and the drone. the picture above is the first peak, then it goes down a little, and then all the way up to ''reinebringen''. on the picture below you can see where the last recorded location of the drone was before i lost connection.
there is a lake up in the mountain but its not where the drone is. the black is just shadow. i am certain that the flight log is the one im refering to. i lost signal to the drone and never connected again, so im not sure if it just hovered until the battery died, or if it tried to RTH.

If that area is a shadow on Google Earth, that explains the landing in the sea mystery.

i am certain that the flight log is the one im refering to. i lost signal to the drone and never connected again, so im not sure if it just hovered until the battery died, or if it tried to RTH.
If that is the correct data, your description doesn't match it at all.
There is no lost signal and data was recorded continuously until the landing, there is no RTH and tat the end of the recorded data you were bringing the drone down until it crashed or landed.

The spot where you landed was 255 metres from your launch spot.
The landing spot is at 67.92842   13.07789
2020-1-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 1-16 18:10
If that area is a shadow on Google Earth, that explains the landing in the sea mystery.

i am certain that the flight log is the one im refering to. i lost signal to the drone and never connected again, so im not sure if it just hovered until the battery died, or if it tried to RTH.

see post #6   
2020-1-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

I knew he landed at alt 1000 ft - I can read flight data.
The mystery was that the shadow on Google Earth looked like the ocean.
2020-1-17
Use props
ludvik.zahl
lvl.1

Norway

I got the weak signal warning and regained it for a brief second until i lost connection. Maybe i landed in that brief second and that explains why there is no connection lost recorded on the flight log
2020-1-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

ludvik.zahl Posted at 1-17 02:07
I got the weak signal warning and regained it for a brief second until i lost connection. Maybe i landed in that brief second and that explains why there is no connection lost recorded on the flight log

Hiya,

Your landing was written in the log, even the baro height reset is there at the end.
cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-1-17
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yup you'll need climbing gear to get to where its landed - and this time of year probably ice and snow to contend with.

2020-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules