Flying over a water dam
1537 3 2020-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Un4Seen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1074646 ft
Romania

Does anybody here have experience with flying over a water dam with a drone? There's this really nice dam that I'd like to take a few shots of, but I'm a bit reluctant to try it because I fear that there might be a strong air current coming up or going down on the deep side of the water dam (where there is no water) and that it might pull the drone with it even on a day when there's no wind? Has anybody tried this? Is it safe? Perhaps these air currents don't really exist on the sides of dams, I'm just trying to think of the unthinkable because I would not like to loose my drone. Let me know how it went if you have flown over dams.
2020-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive flown over water without any issues,  just don't get too low over the water as this can confuse the bottom sensors.
2020-1-16
Use props
Un4Seen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1074646 ft
Romania

What I mean is that the drone is flying over the water (let's say at 10 m height) on the tall side of the dam (where the water is), but as it passes the dam itself, suddenly there's a 100 m drop of the ground below the drone (where there is no water). Perhaps there strong air currents are traveling up/down along the side of the dam?
2020-1-16
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

The air currents from a dam or waterfall are very minimal. The water passing over a dam gets displaced at it hits the bottom where you would have the most air current depending on the amount of water flow. What you would have to watch for is the normal air current that might be flowing and then hitting the side of the dam and then running upwards. If you are not able to get close enough to the dam to inspect the air speed look for any flags in the area that might give you and indicator as to how much air is moving.

Aside from that the drones are pretty good at compensating for wind so you could slowly approach the dam from different angles to see if your drone is being pushed one way or another. Hope this helps.
2020-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules