Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Anyone else having birds attack the mavic mini?
123Next >
6517 89 1-16 03:15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rescue 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 73950 ft
United States

You might change the color, I use my for rescue work and used to be attacked by seagulls when it was white or gray.  I made my drones rescue neon orange, no problems since then.
2-24 07:27
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

2-24 07:33
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

2-24 07:37
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

Color change aids in visibility and anti bird attacks.

Seagulls challenge my drones all the time when they were white, now my drones are rescue neon orange and the attacks ended, the mini looks like a giant bad ass bee.
2-24 07:43
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 433284 ft
Spain

Rescue 1 Posted at 2-24 07:43
Seagulls challenge my drones all the time when they were white, now my drones are rescue neon orange and the attacks ended, the mini looks like a giant bad ass bee.

Thanks for the confirmation, I read countless posts on this topic and found also that Blue and Orange work good, cause birds dont relate it to another bird... guess Blue will make the mini invisible and orange helps a lot with contrast...

Very nice and interesting to see you have a mini for rescue operations, I´m thinking myself to offer my drone to the local firefighters and nature authorities in case they need some help
2-24 08:04
Use props
tdorego
lvl.4
Canada

Just this last Saturday I went out for a flight and noticed a bird following my mini after about 15 min of flying. I am not a bird person so I don't know what it was but I was confident it wanted to attack. I landed immediately. About a week ago I added some neon orange and yellow to the nose and front arms (mostly to help identify the "front" of the mini when flying close or LOS). This obviously did not deter the bird.  
2-24 09:42
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-24 08:04
Thanks for the confirmation, I read countless posts on this topic and found also that Blue and Orange work good, cause birds dont relate it to another bird... guess Blue will make the mini invisible and orange helps a lot with contrast...

Very nice and interesting to see you have a mini for rescue operations, I´m thinking myself to offer my drone to the local firefighters and nature authorities in case they need some help

Excellent idea, I made my own response van, and have several types of drones inside, inspire one is my heavy lifter and search unit, I fly inflatable life jackets out to victims, and have a Flir vue pro thermal camera mounted on it for fire rescue.  Also have a phantom III advance, Pro, and a Phantom IV pro for search and rescue.  And my newest member is the mini, for the times when just an aerial platform is needed.

Rescue 1

Rescue 1
2-24 09:44
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

A question to you since your on line now, I just got my mini and downloaded the DJI fly app, V 1.0.6  what happened to the capabilities of this mini to do circles, rocket, etc.?  I do not see it on the screen at all and would like to use it.

Thanks, if you can help I'd appreciate it.
2-24 10:25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Rescue 1 Posted at 2-24 09:44
Excellent idea, I made my own response van, and have several types of drones inside, inspire one is my heavy lifter and search unit, I fly inflatable life jackets out to victims, and have a Flir vue pro thermal camera mounted on it for fire rescue.  Also have a phantom III advance, Pro, and a Phantom IV pro for search and rescue.  And my newest member is the mini, for the times when just an aerial platform is needed.

Cool set of birs you have Rescue 1!
2-24 10:29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Rescue 1 Posted at 2-24 10:25
A question to you since your on line now, I just got my mini and downloaded the DJI fly app, V 1.0.6  what happened to the capabilities of this mini to do circles, rocket, etc.?  I do not see it on the screen at all and would like to use it.

Thanks, if you can help I'd appreciate it.

Yeah they seem hiding but you have to do some clicks to unfold them, just on top of the "Record" button, you have a square which indicates the Video modes, if you click on it it will give you the options to change from 1080 to 2.7K and their frame rates, but also it opens the "QuickShots" menu, from there you can select one, and then it will give you some screen options for direction and meters to perform the Quick Shot.
Hope it helps!
2-24 10:33
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

tdorego Posted at 2-24 09:42
Just this last Saturday I went out for a flight and noticed a bird following my mini after about 15 min of flying. I am not a bird person so I don't know what it was but I was confident it wanted to attack. I landed immediately. About a week ago I added some neon orange and yellow to the nose and front arms (mostly to help identify the "front" of the mini when flying close or LOS). This obviously did not deter the bird.

A good practice when having birds closely is to first fly upwards, birds need time and energy to flap their wings and gain altitude, but they can dip down fast if they wanted to attack. Then move close to you while descending...

I guess a bit of color is not enough it has to be like @Rescue 1, full body color or at least the whole top and bottom, I also read that reflective materials help with freaking out the birds but they look very ugly! lol
2-24 10:37
Use props
Tervos.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19108 ft
United Kingdom

Touch wood, I have not experienced this yet.

Do they look at the mini and think its dinner time..
2-24 10:46
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Tervos.com Posted at 2-24 10:46

lol well it is actually nerve wracking... I had my first "near attack" in my 2nd fly at my backyard, decided to go move and take a picture, I was looking at the phone screen to compose the image and when I looked at the mini I saw this recognisable shape of a piggeon coming down like a torpedo or kamikaze, no photo for me I just shaked and return home manually... Intese...

Then flying on a cliff I got close in order to do a fly back revealing the scenery, and suddenttly two crows went straight to the Mini... I guess defending their nesting area...

The most scary were actually tiny birds, but they gather a small group of 6-10 birds and went crazy agressive around him, up, down, on the sides, shouting at the Mini crazy like f...Off! One guy there told me this tiny birds are known for bringing down eagles by attacking them under the wings...

Most times I think birds are interested, curious, and if you fly there again they seem to ignore the drone, however some times their interest can turn in to an attack, damaging your drone but maybe the bird too and depending in what area and what bird, that may bring you a huge fine.
2-24 10:58
Use props
tdorego
lvl.4
Canada

Rescue 1 Posted at 2-24 07:43

That full body orange looks awesome! Definitely scare away the birds :) I am pretty sure that is a mini under all the orange and if it is, with the full covering, the cool sticker and the extended landing gear, I am positive you are over 250g! lol  :)
2-24 18:59
Use props
deathsquad
First Officer
Flight distance : 1623507 ft
Australia

I think stickers with eyes would be more effective than simply some coloured wrap.
2-24 19:09
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

tdorego Posted at 2-24 18:59
That full body orange looks awesome! Definitely scare away the birds  I am pretty sure that is a mini under all the orange and if it is, with the full covering, the cool sticker and the extended landing gear, I am positive you are over 250g! lol

For my purpose of Fire Rescue work I really am not concerned with the weight factor, I require high visibility and some height protection from the ground.  I'm sure that when I bring it on one of my vacations, I will remove the extended legs.  I am FAA licensed and would still follow FAA regulations no matter where I am.  Toy or not, FAA rules still apply to the mini.  This mini is by far a great idea, it's gives me the capability of always being prepared for any response situations that come my way without having to have my response van with me.  Your right though, I think I will weigh my mini when I get home from work today and see exactly how much weight was needed with the Mylar covering.  Have a great day.
2-25 04:41
Use props
Cal Evans
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

We've got a hawk that flies around our golf course and I've always been worried about that. Thankfully so far it has left my drone alone.

Cheers!
=C=
2-25 05:13
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 2982907 ft
  • >>>
United States

Had birds circle and attack the Spark while I was coming in for a landing.  The default descent rate is garbage slow.  8 m/s descents now is how it's done.
2-25 05:22
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-24 10:29
Cool set of birs you have Rescue 1!

This a shot of the inside of my response van.
2-25 05:25
Use props
Mizzu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 304642 ft
Germany

Rescue 1 Posted at 2-25 05:25
[view_image]

Pretty cool that these little Devices actually have a more meaningful purpose than taking photos from vacation like in most cases
Which one is the red? Is it an Inspire?
2-25 05:50
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3253904 ft
Italy

For my experience even the neighbor cat was interested in my Mavic Mini... staring at it while I was landing before I stepped infront of him and he understood it wasn't his bird it was mine.
2-25 06:03
Use props
tdorego
lvl.4
Canada

Rescue 1 Posted at 2-25 04:41
For my purpose of Fire Rescue work I really am not concerned with the weight factor, I require high visibility and some height protection from the ground.  I'm sure that when I bring it on one of my vacations, I will remove the extended legs.  I am FAA licensed and would still follow FAA regulations no matter where I am.  Toy or not, FAA rules still apply to the mini.  This mini is by far a great idea, it's gives me the capability of always being prepared for any response situations that come my way without having to have my response van with me.  Your right though, I think I will weigh my mini when I get home from work today and see exactly how much weight was needed with the Mylar covering.  Have a great day.

I fully understand you use if for Rescue work and you were not concerned of the weight. :) My intention was more to make readers aware that adding too much weight to their mini would require it to be registered (at least here in Canada anyway). I still like the way your MM looks in all bright orange. Would be interesting if you were able to swap out the camera with a FLIR sensor for the work you do but I imagine your big drone has that capability. Cheers!
2-25 08:51
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

deathsquad Posted at 2-24 19:09
I think stickers with eyes would be more effective than simply some coloured wrap.[view_image]

Excellent..
2-25 09:44
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

Mizzu Posted at 2-25 05:50
Pretty cool that these little Devices actually have a more meaningful purpose than taking photos from vacation like in most cases
Which one is the red? Is it an Inspire?

No reds, just another orange rescue color from my friend in Germany.  It is an Inspire One.  The mini is a great addition to my fleet, small and easy to deploy fast.  Sometimes we get fire calls for smoke in the area, usually someone burning something in a burn barrel.   Instead of trucks and chiefs riding around looking for the source, it takes a couple of minutes to put up the mini and eyeball around.  
2-25 09:51
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 2-25 05:22
Had birds circle and attack the Spark while I was coming in for a landing.  The default descent rate is garbage slow.  8 m/s descents now is how it's done.

Your probably a drone racer, I could never even imagine wearing goggles and flying high speed.  It would be fun to put birds on the defense once in awhile.
2-25 09:58
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-24 10:37
A good practice when having birds closely is to first fly upwards, birds need time and energy to flap their wings and gain altitude, but they can dip down fast if they wanted to attack. Then move close to you while descending...

I guess a bit of color is not enough it has to be like @Rescue 1, full body color or at least the whole top and bottom, I also read that reflective materials help with freaking out the birds but they look very ugly! lol

Good advise about the birds, UP is better than Down, in the case of seagulls, Up will probably mean that you will come down with a few birds you hit since they love to fly in groups chasing the other birds with food in their beaks.
2-25 10:27
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

Tervos.com Posted at 2-24 10:46

I have a hawk that hangs in a tree across from my house and watches my fish pond, he drops in between the house and garage and splashes into the pond feet first taking one of my fish for his lunch, I'm sure a mini would be nothing for him to grab.
2-25 10:30
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

m80116 Posted at 2-25 06:03
For my experience even the neighbor cat was interested in my Mavic Mini... staring at it while I was landing before I stepped infront of him and he understood it wasn't his bird it was mine.

I've chased my neighbors cats a few times with my birds.
2-25 10:31
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Rescue 1 Posted at 2-25 05:25
[view_image]

Awesome Rescue 1!
Thanks for sharing!
2-25 10:46
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 2982907 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rescue 1 Posted at 2-25 09:58
Your probably a drone racer, I could never even imagine wearing goggles and flying high speed.  It would be fun to put birds on the defense once in awhile.

It's safer than it seems.  When you let go early enough, it stabilizes itself safely.  Even if you were close to the ground, as long as you aren't running full-speed through the ground, it should be ok.  I never really tested it to where it would find the ground and stop but the power these things can do, it can stop quickly.

A racer drone falls a lot quicker as the throttle is pretty much cut but some minimum throttle percentage is always applied when armed, at least w/ the latest ones it is.
2-25 21:03
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13898 ft
United Kingdom

I was just thinking about some of your suggestions of taping the drone with neon colours.
Wouldnt it be better to paint it? Surely it would weight less than a tape?
Did anyone try it before?
3-4 10:37
Use props
Dorset_Horn
First Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

After parking my Mav up a tree and walking in circles looking for it....I bought a yellow/black tiger-stripe skin and then added the goggly-eyes. It's more visible now and I can't recall any bird action for a while.
I live on the south-coast UK and  seagulls always seemed interested in the past.
I'll try and post a pic.
3-4 11:39
Use props
HutchMavicHavic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8461 ft
Australia

Hey djiuser_mFlKnbqPWr1m,

From Perth here, and have regularly got a wedge tailed eagle that will readily, and in no time at all, fly from his home (1.5km away in a regional park) to my position to investigate my MM, Tello, and eBay cheapy drone. And his interest is definitely not sparked through sight.

Reason being is I’ve tested him deliberately and 5 out of 7 times he has turned up within 3 minutes or less, and the whole time no matter which drone it is (tello gets the most and the quickest response) I have been flying well below tree top level of bush that I have across the road.

(The wedgey comes from directly behind this bush land which is separated by dense housing, a major dual carriageway and some large businesses - boat yards, retirement village before the Reaching the regional park (Yellagonga) opens out which is essentially a very large lake system) with plenty of
Bush land and kangaroos etc.

As long as the sea breeze is not howling (not flying anyway) he will come over, casual as you like and start coming in closer if the drone is still up. I’ll bring the drone in and he lands in a tree, 100m to 300m it doesn’t matter, and use his telescopic drone seeking eyes to have a good look. If the drone goes up again, so does he and he will come right in with 50m circling over head (with the drone hovering very close by to me) and he’ll go around and around until I call it quits. He will cruise way out to about 400m away just cruising (and even 5 or 6 crows desperately swooping and going nuts right at him) he just laughs em off. Coz he
Knows he’s the biggest thing in the sky by a long way.

My point being, I think for sure it’s the noise the drones make, and the tello seams the most high pitched and it’s either flat out or nothing with those little motors. And he doesn’t swoop or even come near the drone less than 30/40m (usually because I’m crapping it and bring it in). He’s just checking it out.

Such an awesome bird of prey.

Anyway, needless to say, I got overconfident with my MM and it got blown away about 4 weeks ago.... right in the direction of the regional park. And well... I’ve looked and looked, and become nearly an expert in all the data etc. but that mini  (which I was desperately trying to land - got so close then lost signal and it went to RTH). Up it went to the pre set RTH height, the wind kept pushing it and it struggled valiantly, until whoomph! Theres a few good major bumps in the flight path.

And the last time that mini was seen, was travelling faster than maximum speed (>8m/s) and directly for the biggest tree in the middle of a large paddock/field.

Well no definite answer as to what happened (piloting in bad conditions at first yes) but when I got to the last known location... no where.... no where, and I spent 14 hours looking.... before I just so happened to see that eagle circling above.... and it dawned on me that maybe old wedgey got his snack in the end.

Poor mini..
3-17 14:57
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1117372 ft
United States

Dmitry Vishnevskiy Posted at 1-16 04:14
Mavic mini too cheap for serious birds. Eagles prefer Phantoms & Mavics Pro

They sure do ! !
3-17 15:09
Use props
HutchMavicHavic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8461 ft
Australia

HutchMavicHavic Posted at 3-17 14:57

From Perth here, and have regularly got a wedge tailed eagle that will readily, and in no time at all, fly from his home (1.5km away in a regional park) to my position to investigate my MM, Tello, and eBay cheapy drone. And his interest is definitely not sparked through sight.

3-17 15:19
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 12411827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not just the mini, seems like birds are attractive to drones.
3-17 15:55
Use props
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145361 ft
Malaysia

HutchMavicHavic Posted at 3-17 14:57

Enjoyed your story, do you happen to have a picture of Wedgey or even a video of it? Thanks.
3-17 17:42
Use props
AerialFusion
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1632828 ft

Canada

Recent MM owner. I had tree swallows attempt attacks on my MM at 3 different locations dozens of km's apart in southern Ontario.   All 3 times it was the same pattern with them.  One would show up,  then a few more and start circling the mini unless the MM left.  Then a few would get brave and attempt to swoop in or dive at it.  I did research about the type of birds after reviewing video.

Other birds in the area did not bother the MM and most flew away from a distance.
Swans were not phased one bit at 10 meters above, The mighty Canada Goose seems to always leave from a distance but always be careful if they have a nest nearby, they are known to be aggressive towards people near nests so its probable they could go after an drone as well.

But, no matter what the swallows always came to investigate so the only option is to evade (S mode, go up , back, and leave) & "leave their territory"  and maybe try one of the options mentioned in this thread.
6-7 18:58
Use props
sv3n
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35833 ft
Germany

Last weekend my MM was attacked by some birds while shooting a sundown. Luckily nothing happened and I landed the drone safe. I´m pretty sure there was a nest nearby, so was my mistake.
6-7 23:51
Use props
AerialFusion
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1632828 ft

Canada

Just a follow up on this.  
I tried to fly aggressively towards the bird and thrusting upwards then towards them method. I tested this out on the same tree swallows that bothered the MM before and it appears to work when there is not many of them.   
By rapidly going up and going towards this specific bird scares them tree swallows away temporarily.   But remember they are probably just defending their nest / territory so the best option is to leave the area.
This method may not work for larger birds like falcons or hawks, the MM has to know its place in the bird kingdom! so be careful!

6-20 19:34
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules