Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Cookster670 Posted at 1-22 01:34
At the end of the day, RTH speed is not al imitation of the drone, it’s of the software.  The mini can fly in wind conditions in excess of it’s RTH speed,   How would people feel if DJI decided to halve it’s RTH speed?  Do we say “well that’s the limitation of the drone and DJI made it for good reasons, so don’t fly in windy conditions in excess of that”.     No, we wouldn’t because we know it’s capable of more.  

Im sure DJI chose it’s RTH speed for good reasons at the time, but given the amount of posts we see about lost or almost lost Minis as a result of RTH speed,  Then I would hope they would revisit this.   In the posts that I’ve read and remember, the Mini was flying around ok in the windy conditions UNTIL RTH kicked in.

Everybody keeps saying that the mini can fly safely in higher winds than 18mph, yet the manual and the disclaimer manual clearly tells you the safe limit for flying the mini is 18mph, almost 50% less than it’s top sport speed.
This is also in keeping with safe speeds on all other dji craft where there is a threshold for Rth speed, are we saying now this has nothing to do with safety at all.

So let’s say we do the same for all dji craft and so it’s now safe to have the inspire flying no longer under the control of an operator at 58mph, I for one would not think this is safe.

I think when dji rate their craft they do so to air on the safe side that’s correct, and this follows patterns of safety for many things in life, safety always airs on the cautious side and for very good reason.

We know that Mavic mini can be flown in Rth at approx 24mph and why what is the difference in the operator being able to increase speed to 24mph in Rth mode, but without operator it can only fly 18mph, it seems the only difference is the operator, in other words someone in charge of controlling the craft, once you hit Rth or craft looses signal and goes to Rth your craft is no longer flying under the control of the operator.

I don’t believe dji is holding back anything here and I think safety is primarily the issue, it’s all very well to say we should have an emergency button on our craft and only use in emergencies, human nature will tell you this is a complete non runner.

Lastly if we had this option of craft being increased to 29mph, what do you think would happen if someone flew in 30mph and lost his craft.
Well I’ll tell you, he would come on here and say there was almost no wind on the ground it couldn’t have been more than 20mph at 30m altitude he checked UAV, and is now demanding his warranty, remember dji craft don’t record wind speed, so where’s the proof you can get weather forecast but which one they all will vary, and your back in the same situation and you have the same people blaming everything but themselves.

We buy this craft there are limits with it, but what we see from a few is they bought something that doesn’t fly and do all the things the next craft up does, so they start to demand changes.
On the other hand we have those who buy something know what they bought learn how to work with what they bought produce some very fine photography and get on with life .
2020-1-22
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 1-22 03:10
Everybody keeps saying that the mini can fly safely in higher winds than 18mph, yet the manual and the disclaimer manual clearly tells you the safe limit for flying the mini is 18mph, almost 50% less than it’s top sport speed.
This is also in keeping with safe speeds on all other dji craft where there is a threshold for Rth speed, are we saying now this has nothing to do with safety at all.

You’re missing my point Hallmark.    Yes people will always push the limits....i have, pretty sure you have too I’m guessing.  Through either luck or skill we’ve not lost our drones, but I’ve had years of experience with RC aircraft...maybe you have too.  BUt there others that this will be their first RC aircraft and we should do what is reasonable and possible so they have the best chance of getting their drone back every flight.

Anyway...my point is simple, if the drone can fly in 24mph winds, then why shouldn’t RTH match that if it can do so safely.  Why hobble RTH so that it performs less than in normal flight?   It won’t stop all losses, it won’t stop idtiots who are hell bent on pushing the limits, but it will save some
2020-1-22
Use props
labroidesyahoo.com
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cookster670 Posted at 1-22 01:34
At the end of the day, RTH speed is not al imitation of the drone, it’s of the software.  The mini can fly in wind conditions in excess of it’s RTH speed,   How would people feel if DJI decided to halve it’s RTH speed?  Do we say “well that’s the limitation of the drone and DJI made it for good reasons, so don’t fly in windy conditions in excess of that”.     No, we wouldn’t because we know it’s capable of more.  

Im sure DJI chose it’s RTH speed for good reasons at the time, but given the amount of posts we see about lost or almost lost Minis as a result of RTH speed,  Then I would hope they would revisit this.   In the posts that I’ve read and remember, the Mini was flying around ok in the windy conditions UNTIL RTH kicked in.

In the posts that I’ve read and remember, the Mini was flying around ok in the windy conditions UNTIL RTH kicked in.  
Think about that a little more.
The Mavic is flying along without a problem  ... until it turns around and tries to come home.
Hmm ... I wonder what might be different.
It couldn't possibly have anything to do with flying downwind and then upwind could it?
2020-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cookster670 Posted at 1-22 04:42
You’re missing my point Hallmark.    Yes people will always push the limits....i have, pretty sure you have too I’m guessing.  Through either luck or skill we’ve not lost our drones, but I’ve had years of experience with RC aircraft...maybe you have too.  BUt there others that this will be their first RC aircraft and we should do what is reasonable and possible so they have the best chance of getting their drone back every flight.

Anyway...my point is simple, if the drone can fly in 24mph winds, then why shouldn’t RTH match that if it can do so safely.  Why hobble RTH so that it performs less than in normal flight?   It won’t stop all losses, it won’t stop idtiots who are hell bent on pushing the limits, but it will save some

Just a couple of things, ramping up the speed of Rth will help no one, but may even make matters worse by trying to create unrealistic parameters for all who are flying.

Many of dji craft fly faster in Rth mode, but we see a similar pattern with craft being lost, so there’s no proof this makes anything better, and if you think that people won’t push to the limit your wrong.

The big problem here is, you are giving those who manage fine under parameters set dow no credit as Newbies , instead these should be lauded for showing how things should be done.

Many of the cases were drones were lost to the wind were well over what might be possible with MM, so what we see in fact is very few loosing their drone at 24mph.

If you go to spark forum you won’t see much of this and there you have a more expensive drone flying slower in Rth , yet they have learned to operate under parameters set.

I’m not against pushing speed up to 22mph as I have said in many posts, but I don’t believe there will be any change in Newbies chancing it, it’s the way it’s always been .
2020-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Just for those who didn’t know in Rth mode, controller using elevator stick right stick in mode 2 can achieve equivalent of top speed in sport mode.

Today I tested to see what speed I could achieve and on two occasions I achieved faster speed than I could achieve in sport mode on the same line within less than a minute of each test.

In sport highest speed achieved 12.9 m/s in Rth with elevator pushed full forward I achieved 14.2 m/s,  almost 32mph
So only problem I see is for complete loss of signal to RC and would recommend users fly within VLOS in good environment.

2020-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-22 09:25
I noticed this as well.  On my 4000 meter flight I came home at about 31-32 mph by applying full forward stick during RTH.

Yeah I was surprised so tried it 3 times in both sport only and Rth with stick full forward, I couldn’t get more than 12.9 m/s in sport, but was getting just over 14 m/s I think it’s down to the craft not moving off line I was pleasantly surprised and it makes sense when returning to use this Rth craft stays absolutely straight .
2020-1-22
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-22 06:43
No feature has been skipped.  RTH is there.  It functions at a predetermined, single-speed, just as it does on every other DJI aircraft.  You might get an increase in the Mini's RTH speed setting, but you won't be getting new code to dynamically alter it.  You are free to lobby & continue wishing, but that' the way it is.  If I were in charge of DJI's software engineering department, I certainly wouldn't do it.  There is no need to overcomplicate RTH & risk introducing unforseen issues.  Fly smart & within an aircraft's capabilities & you should be fine.

Although you quoted me, you successfully avoided everything I said and just replied to a different matter But I guess we’ve exhausted this subject, doesn’t seem like anyone is about to be convinced otherwise so let’s just move on.
2020-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 1-22 10:04
Although you quoted me, you successfully avoided everything I said and just replied to a different matter  But I guess we’ve exhausted this subject, doesn’t seem like anyone is about to be convinced otherwise so let’s just move on.

You seem to have a permanent chip on your shoulder, this is not about winners or losers or convincing others , it’s about debate putting your ideas forward, if others don’t agree with them the sky won’t fall in, Most people are genuinely trying to give you the benefit of their experience and help .
2020-1-22
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

The problem is not the RTH speed per se is the tilt angle. We need the drone to achieve its maximum nominal tilt of 30° during RTH and use all the power availabe should it need to.
8 m/s could be perfectly fine if the drone can manage to RTH in high winds without manual user input during the emergency.
2020-1-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-22 07:38
All DJI aircraft are capable of flying faster than their RTH speed.  Some are indeed capable of flying twice as fast.  The Inspire 2 is almost 3 times as fast.  So your statement about halving RTH speed is already in effect.  I can't say why DJI chose 22 mph as the normal RTH speed for their aircraft?  For some birds, it is a limit imposed by Obstacle Avoidance.  But even before OA, the P2 & P3s all were set to RTH at 22 mph.  Maybe 10 m/s (~22 mph) was just a nice round number in the RTH parameter field?   Perhaps they feel this is the most efficient setting for maximizing range?  The Mini is lighter & less powerful so they chose to reduce it by 2 m/s..  If enough people ask, maybe they will bump it up to the normal 10 m/s?

How many people enjoy flying in sustained winds of 22 mph or higher?  Yes, you CAN fly in such conditions.  You can fly in winds well beyond an aircraft's RTH capability.  But you have to do so intelligently.   You have to pay close attention to wind direction, fly upwind, & stay low & close enough to maintain RC contact if flying downwind.  No amount of programming can save every person who foolishly flies a mile or two downwind in sustained strong winds.

Amazing sailboat footage. I will have to link this in a boating forum that I frequent. Most of the guys say that sailboats are for pussies ;-)
2020-1-22
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Very interesting, thank you both for doing those tests. What made me rethink the whole story was the comment from Dirty Bird about max tilt angle and max speed being two different parameters for RTH on  other DJI drones. Even if these settings are not exposed to the users but require a bit of hack, the fact that they are separate is very important. Two reasons:
- tilt angle is the (one and only) way a drone controls its airspeed. So effectively MAX TILT should be read as MAX AIRSPEED;
- DJI ACs don't have airspeed sensors but they do have a GPS. So MAX SPEED should be read as MAX GROUNDSPEED.
Now, how exactly the MM operates within those limits is not completely clear to me. What we know for sure is that on a calm day, the MM has a GROUNDSPEED of 8m/s in RTH. But we don't know:
- whether the MM has a MAX TILT and MAX SPEED setting for RTH, like other DJI drones, and if it has, what are they;
- whether those 8m/s on a calm day are the result of the AC hitting a MAX TILT limit or a MAX SPEED limit;
- whether the MM is programmed to try and achieve its MAX SPEED limit, within the allowed MAX TILT.
Assuming that the MM has indeed MAX SPEED and MAX TILT limits for RTH, and that the AC is programmed to try to reach that speed (groundspeed) with the allowed tilt (airspeed), then this feature request would be simply for DJI to increase the MAX TILT for RTH. I don't want the AC to come back faster on a calm day, I want it to have more AIRSPEED to fight headwind during RTH. And that's MAX TILT.
2020-1-22
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

m80116 Posted at 1-22 10:39
The problem is not the RTH speed per se is the tilt angle. We need the drone to achieve its maximum nominal tilt of 30° during RTH and use all the power availabe should it need to.
8 m/s could be perfectly fine if the drone can manage to RTH in high winds without manual user input during the emergency.

You are 100% correct.

2020-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 1-22 11:04
Very interesting, thank you both for doing those tests. What made me rethink the whole story was the comment from Dirty Bird about max tilt angle and max speed being two different parameters for RTH on  other DJI drones. Even if these settings are not exposed to the users but require a bit of hack, the fact that they are separate is very important. Two reasons:
- tilt angle is the (one and only) way a drone controls its airspeed. So effectively MAX TILT should be read as MAX AIRSPEED;
- DJI ACs don't have airspeed sensors but they do have a GPS. So MAX SPEED should be read as MAX GROUNDSPEED.

It’s Max wind speed resistance .8m/s
2020-1-22
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

It’s not going to happen, the sooner people start taking responsibility for their flight decisions the better.  I managed to fly off a ridge line yesterday at 1000 ft above sea level, it was 19mph with gusts of 25 mph, apart from hearing the props hit the AC body it managed ok, just flew it into the wind and keep VLOS, simple.
2020-1-22
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-22 11:40
It’s not going to happen, the sooner people start taking responsibility for their flight decisions the better.  I managed to fly off a ridge line yesterday at 1000 ft above sea level, it was 19mph with gusts of 25 mph, apart from hearing the props hit the AC body it managed ok, just flew it into the wind and keep VLOS, simple.

To be clear... are you using that as an example of a good or bad decision? I'm not being sarcastic, nor passing any judgment, I'm genuinely asking if you think that flying a MM in those conditions (1000ft, 19mph winds, 25mph gusts) is OK, considering your skill level and precautions you took.
2020-1-22
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

[DELETED - Made some conclusions on incorrect assumptions]
2020-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 1-22 16:55
Ok, one more piece of information coming from the flyaway thread where this feature request originated from. Based on the numbers Labroides provided in post 145, it seems that the MM has a MAX TILT angle of 20deg, for RTH. In other words, it seems to confirm that the MM is NOT using all its available airspeed, but it's limited to P-Mode. If you have connection, we can push it into S-Mode territory (30deg max), as proven by Hallmark here above.
So my original request still stand, as basically asking for S-Mode during RTH means asking to increase the MAX TILT to S-Mode levels (or as close as possible).
Dirty Bird: I hereby formally decline your request for an increased RTH speed. That's not what we need, current 18mph is fine, we just need the AC to "try harder" to achieve that.

Your assumption from the other thread is wrong.
Please re-read to see where I have connected it.
2020-1-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-22 07:38
All DJI aircraft are capable of flying faster than their RTH speed.  Some are indeed capable of flying twice as fast.  The Inspire 2 is almost 3 times as fast.  So your statement about halving RTH speed is already in effect.  I can't say why DJI chose 22 mph as the normal RTH speed for their aircraft?  For some birds, it is a limit imposed by Obstacle Avoidance.  But even before OA, the P2 & P3s all were set to RTH at 22 mph.  Maybe 10 m/s (~22 mph) was just a nice round number in the RTH parameter field?   Perhaps they feel this is the most efficient setting for maximizing range?  The Mini is lighter & less powerful so they chose to reduce it by 2 m/s..  If enough people ask, maybe they will bump it up to the normal 10 m/s?

How many people enjoy flying in sustained winds of 22 mph or higher?  Yes, you CAN fly in such conditions.  You can fly in winds well beyond an aircraft's RTH capability.  But you have to do so intelligently.   You have to pay close attention to wind direction, fly upwind, & stay low & close enough to maintain RC contact if flying downwind.  No amount of programming can save every person who foolishly flies a mile or two downwind in sustained strong winds.

I hope this isn't too far off topic. But the sailboat video looks more like the 720p video that the controller captures. Maybe that was all they could recover? And notice that the 35 knot winds are coming from the starboard quarter so I wonder if they turned a bit downwind to allow the 38 knot P4 to keep up. The wind speed would be reduced by the boat speed of 30 knots for a net difference of only 5 knots. If they were going upwind (at a 45* angle, vessel + wind speed, total of about 50 knots), there is no way the drone  could stay with the boat. It appears they knew exactly how this would work, drone-wise and sailboat-wise.
2020-1-22
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
United Kingdom

120ccpm Posted at 1-22 15:04
To be clear... are you using that as an example of a good or bad decision? I'm not being sarcastic, nor passing any judgment, I'm genuinely asking if you think that flying a MM in those conditions (1000ft, 19mph winds, 25mph gusts) is OK, considering your skill level and precautions you took.

All I’m saying if you are careful, fly out into the wind, maintain VLOS and are aware of your location, keep an eye on battery levels / warning etc, you can get good results with the mini without loosing it.  I’m seeing far too many lost Mini’s being flown to there limits and beyond and/ or pilot not even understanding how basic features work or simply relying on RTH to get the AC back.
2020-1-23
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
United Kingdom

120ccpm Posted at 1-22 15:04

All I’m saying if you are careful, fly out into the wind, maintain VLOS and are aware of your location, keep an eye on battery levels / warning etc, you can get good results with the mini without loosing it.  I’m seeing far too many lost Mini’s being flown to there limits and beyond and / or pilot not even understanding how basic features work or simply relying on RTH to get the AC back.
2020-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-23 00:39
All I’m saying if you are careful, fly out into the wind, maintain VLOS and are aware of your location, keep an eye on battery levels / warning etc, you can get good results with the mini without loosing it.  I’m seeing far too many lost Mini’s being flown to there limits and beyond and/ or pilot not even understanding how basic features work or simply relying on RTH to get the AC back.

It’s called taking responsibility, what we are actually seeing here is a brand new crop of new flyers who purchased or were given gifts for Christmas.
They expect the drone to work and operate straight out of the box, they have little experience and end up getting into difficulties and loosing their drone, and in fairness we all learn a little from their experience.
Then on the other hand rather than try educating them, we have a few who think the better option is to try change how the craft operates and they believe this will save these Mavericks from loosing their drone, and that makes no sense whatsoever, and we know this from experience of seeing other people flying bigger faster dji drones and still loosing them.
If you don’t want to lose your drone read and respect what advice you are given in your manual and you won’t have these problems and you won’t have to depend on any emergency buttons.
2020-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 1-22 19:46
I hope this isn't too far off topic. But the sailboat video looks more like the 720p video that the controller captures. Maybe that was all they could recover? And notice that the 35 knot winds are coming from the starboard quarter so I wonder if they turned a bit downwind to allow the 38 knot P4 to keep up. The wind speed would be reduced by the boat speed of 30 knots for a net difference of only 5 knots. If they were going upwind (at a 45* angle, vessel + wind speed, total of about 50 knots), there is no way the drone  could stay with the boat. It appears they knew exactly how this would work, drone-wise and sailboat-wise.

And notice that the 35 knot winds are coming from the starboard quarter so I wonder if they turned a bit downwind to allow the 38 knot P4 to keep up. The wind speed would be reduced by the boat speed of 30 knots for a net difference of only 5 knots. If they were going upwind (at a 45* angle, vessel + wind speed, total of about 50 knots), there is no way the drone could stay with the boat.

When you understand more about flying drones, it's not such a great mystery.
If you think the Phantom would top out at 38 knots, there's a lot more for you to learn.
Here's a screenshot from one of my flights to show you what a Phantom can do.
To save your calculator fingers, 30.4 m/s is getting close to 60 knots.
The speed is genuine and the wind was significantly less than 40 knots.

The biggest mystery for me in the video is how they managed to recover the drone at that speed.
It's very difficult at just 7 knots, but perhaps I should try crashing into the helmsman?
Screenshot_20200123.jpg
2020-1-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007, you are spot on.  Another example is in the military you are given a weapon, fully trained on how to use that weapon by keeping it in good repair (cleaned) and how and when to put lead on target, first time, every time.  You are tasked with being responsible and utilizing the training you received.  After test flying my MM, with me present, my grandson (10 years old) decided he wanted one.  I told him he had to read the User Manual and pass my oral exam.  After reading it 3 times through, yes 3 times through, he was able to answer all my questions.  I made him a pre and post-flight checklist (based on one of your posts) that he uses every flight.  He accepted the responsibility to fly safely and protect the investment I made in his MM.  On two times when he wanted to go fly he unhappily announced that we couldn't because the UAV Forecast App indicated Not A Good Day to Fly based on wind conditions at 300 feet.  He never flies his MM unless I'm present and he has never come close to experiencing a fly away because he knows the MM's limitations.  I'm a firm believer in RTFM!!  Yes, some manuals are poorly written but they still contain the basic information to safely operate the product.  

Anyway, just saying if a 10 year old can read, learn, build confidence and fly safely why can't others, especially those much older and supposedly more wiser.  Only so much safety can be built into drones, the rest is up to the user.  Just saying.

Rant over....sorry.  Have a nice day all.
2020-1-23
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

Honestly, I give up on this thread. I tried to keep it technical and use it as an opportunity to learn more about RTH and how it works, but some really cannot go past the fact that asking to improve a failsafe does not mean promoting and encouraging reckless behavior. Nothing wrong about having that conversation, but that's not what I wanted this thread to be about.
2020-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 1-23 10:53
Honestly, I give up on this thread. I tried to keep it technical and use it as an opportunity to learn more about RTH and how it works, but some really cannot go past the fact that asking to improve a failsafe does not mean promoting and encouraging reckless behavior. Nothing wrong about having that conversation, but that's not what I wanted this thread to be about.

Your not improving a failsafe like you think you are, you trying to push the boundaries of the craft without finding out why they are there in the first place .
The Mavic mini is pretty simple, the manual tells you not to fly in certain winds and if you abide by this then you will not lose your drone to the wind and it's pretty failsafe information to give out.

2020-1-23
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

120ccpm Posted at 1-23 10:53
but some really cannot go past the fact that asking to improve a failsafe does not mean promoting and encouraging reckless behavior.

So I’m not crazy. Or at least not the only one )
2020-1-23
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

I still do not know whether the MM uses all its power in RTH mode to maintain ground speed or if  it is throttled.
2020-1-23
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-23 13:41
I don't know much about sailing (though as a kid I did own a small sailboat), but as I recall you can't sail directly into the wind.   You have to tack back & forth at an angle to work your way in the direction of the wind.  From the video I'm guessing the wind was from the starboard rear so it was pushing both the boat & the Phantom.

That was my point. I do sail a lot. The 35 knot wind from behind kept the drone within range of the boat. Had they been on a tack (45 degrees at best into the wind), the combined speed of wind and boat would have outrun the drone. That's why I guessed that they turned downwind to be ably to fly.
2020-1-23
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-23 04:10
And notice that the 35 knot winds are coming from the starboard quarter so I wonder if they turned a bit downwind to allow the 38 knot P4 to keep up. The wind speed would be reduced by the boat speed of 30 knots for a net difference of only 5 knots. If they were going upwind (at a 45* angle, vessel + wind speed, total of about 50 knots), there is no way the drone could stay with the boat.

When you understand more about flying drones, it's not such a great mystery.

I haven't found anyone on any forum who says their P4 can go anywhere near that fast (in calm air) without a big tailwind. How is yours faster than everyone elses? I was commenting using the base max speed and then adding or subtrating the wind depending on the situation. So you evidently had a 22 knot tailwind.
https://phantompilots.com/threads/fastest-speed.120029/

2020-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 1-23 19:11
I haven't found anyone on any forum who says their P4 can go anywhere near that fast (in calm air) without a big tailwind. How is yours faster than everyone elses? I was commenting using the base max speed and then adding or subtrating the wind depending on the situation. So you evidently had a 22 knot tailwind.
https://phantompilots.com/threads/fastest-speed.120029/

How is yours faster than everyone elses?
I would expect that mine are as fast as any other can be.
I was just showing that Phantoms can easily exceed 38 knots in the right conditions.
2020-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 1-23 19:02
That was my point. I do sail a lot. The 35 knot wind from behind kept the drone within range of the boat. Had they been on a tack (45 degrees at best into the wind), the combined speed of wind and boat would have outrun the drone. That's why I guessed that they turned downwind to be ably to fly.

Had they been on a tack (45 degrees at best into the wind), the combined speed of wind and boat would have outrun the drone. That's why I guessed that they turned downwind to be ably to fly.
Round-the-world racers don't do much tacking in the Southern Ocean.
Turning downwind to get a little speed for the camera isn't something they really need to do.
2020-1-23
Use props
JMynes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 228012 ft
United States

Despite all the curves this thread has taken, RTH is basically a panic button. If you get in over your head and hit the panic button, the Mini should use all available power to get home.
The best approach is to not get into panic mode.
2020-1-25
Use props
djiuser_AmTA8L48K40q
lvl.2
Flight distance : 319275 ft
Czechia

One more thing to add, while the drone is in rth mode and it is still being carried further away, it could initiate immediate landing to prevent loss of connection.
2021-2-21
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

There's already a setting for that under 1st tab: Loss of signal option... it can be set to land. If during RTH it loses the RC signal it lands.
2021-2-21
Use props
travelerbyheart
lvl.2
Czechia

Agreed, also automatic descend option when drifting away home point would be welcomed, this would increase chances of getting signal form a landed unit and finding the drone
2021-3-9
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

travelerbyheart Posted at 3-9 08:25
Agreed, also automatic descend option when drifting away home point would be welcomed, this would increase chances of getting signal form a landed unit and finding the drone

coming into this thread blindly, i'm going to disagree with this.  if my drone is drifting away from home point, i don't want it to automatically descend.  first, mostly because i don't like the idea of the drone with a mind of it's own unless it's a "smart" descend.  second, if your drone is drifting away, not sure that i want it to descend because for me, that will almost certainly mean it will crash into something rather than upon something when it ultimately comes down.  perhaps by descend you meant land?
2021-3-9
Use props
simplesimon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 142841 ft
United States

It's all a moot point.  DJI has already completely abandoned meaningful support for the original Mini.

2021-3-11
Use props
travelerbyheart
lvl.2
Czechia

The Saint Posted at 3-9 14:24
coming into this thread blindly, i'm going to disagree with this.  if my drone is drifting away from home point, i don't want it to automatically descend.  first, mostly because i don't like the idea of the drone with a mind of it's own unless it's a "smart" descend.  second, if your drone is drifting away, not sure that i want it to descend because for me, that will almost certainly mean it will crash into something rather than upon something when it ultimately comes down.  perhaps by descend you meant land?

Sure I do ... whats the other option? Drifting away with wind until battery is depleted and falling freely?
2021-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules