What happens after signal is lost while wind is blowing drone away?
1258 4 2020-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rimarida
lvl.1
South Africa

Our Mavic Mini Drone lost contact overland at 90 meter altitude, while being blown away at 3.1m second, with only 4 minutes and 42 seconds of flying time remining.
From the last flight data the direction of movement was north north east prior to losing contact.

If the wind speed and direction remained constant, where is the most likely place to search for the drone?

Assumptions:
Even though the drone lost contact it will not lower its altitude to the RTH altitude of 30 meters. Per the booklet it only ascends to the RTH altitude but does not descend to it. So it will continue at 90 meter altitude.

Even though the drone lost contact it will not initiate forced landing until 1 minute of flight time remains.
After further wind blown movement of 3 min and 42 seconds (222 seconds) at a speed of 3.1 meters per second it will be 688.2 mteers north north east of the last known position. At this moment one minute flying time will remain and the algorithm of the drone will initiate forced landing.

Questions:
At what speed is the drone likely to reduce altitude?
Does the altitude of the drone influence the duration prior to forced landing or is it always one minute?
Would it be likely that after 30 seconds of descent the wind speed at the lower altitude woud have decreased to the extent that the drone will be retaining a firm position to descend over the same spot for the remining battery?

Suggestions:
If a future Mavic Mini firmware upgrade can let it auto descend to the RTH height after losing radio contral contact then its chances of being able to return to home would be greater if the wind speed at the lower altitude is less, which is usually the case.

Comments and further discussion will be very much welcomed.

Warm regards from Cape Town, South Africa

2020-1-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this inquiry. If the said drone still has enough power and the drone lost connection. I would recommend to please use the " Find my Drone " feature to find the estimated location of the drone. With regards to the RTH feature if the drone is beyond 20 meters and is flying at a higher altitude than the RTH altitude the drone flies towards the Home Point at 8 m/s. For more details, I will be posting an image regarding the RTH feature from the DJI Mavic Mini Manual Thank you.

2020-1-20
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Depends on what you have it set it could either land, RTH or hover.
2020-1-21
Use props
Rimarida
lvl.1
South Africa

It was set to RTH.
2020-1-21
Use props
Rimarida
lvl.1
South Africa

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-20 09:28
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this inquiry. If the said drone still has enough power and the drone lost connection. I would recommend to please use the " Find my Drone " feature to find the estimated location of the drone. With regards to the RTH feature if the drone is beyond 20 meters and is flying at a higher altitude than the RTH altitude the drone flies towards the Home Point at 8 m/s. For more details, I will be posting an image regarding the RTH feature from the DJI Mavic Mini Manual Thank you.

[view_image]

Thank you for your reply. I also saw those notes, but it doesn't answer our questions.
2020-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules