Will DJI Drones become obsolete under new FAA Law?
3684 10 2020-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is everyone aware that the new proposed FAA Law regarding remote Id  actually includes their projected percentages of drones that will be obsolete because they will be unable to comply?  While are drones are already equipped with an ID, it appears the FAA wants to use its own system using 3rd party company’s to store drone data.
I’m not sure it’s a good idea to purchase an older used DJI drone at this time unless you will be content paying to be an AMA member and only flying in the same field with model aircraft.

I hope we can get clarification regarding if and how DJI products and which drones will be able to be “retrofitted”  with what is needed to comply with the FAA.  Yes this is only a proposal , but there is a history of proposals becoming law regardless of our comments.

BEFORE I spend any more money on DJI products.. I want to know.  Will all of my DJI drones be able to comply with standard remote ID?
2020-1-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I suspect there will be 3rd party accessories to support remote ID in the same way as there are 3rd party strobes.  Until they announce what tech is needed to support remote id, I dont see how you can expect any future proofing to be annonuced.
2020-1-27
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

We already have remote ID... at least Mavic 2 does.. I haven't checked all our drones. Im not sure what the FAAs deal is. It's unclear to everyone if the remote ID we already have will meet the requirements or we will need something else. There is an article about flying in NYC and it explains that DJI gave them the technology to track drones being flown illegally.  Sounds like they simple gave them access to the flight records in the Go App. If this kind of tracking is already possible, there is no reason for DJI to not be assuring us. I hope the FAA knows about what has already gone on in NYC.

What is clear is that the FAA actually researched what percentage of current drones will be "obsolete" according to them because they will not be able to comply. Not sure how they came up with numbers.  I certainly would not buy anything else or recommend anyone invest much money until we have assurance from DJI that the drones we have or will by will be able to be flown everywhere...not only in an AMA field.
Makes me more concerned that this thread has had zero response from DJI. They should be concerned about sales at least..
2020-1-27
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JJMik Posted at 1-27 11:48
We already have remote ID... at least Mavic 2 does.. I haven't checked all our drones. Im not sure what the FAAs deal is. It's unclear to everyone if the remote ID we already have will meet the requirements or we will need something else. There is an article about flying in NYC and it explains that DJI gave them the technology to track drones being flown illegally.  Sounds like they simple gave them access to the flight records in the Go App. If this kind of tracking is already possible, there is no reason for DJI to not be assuring us. I hope the FAA knows about what has already gone on in NYC.

What is clear is that the FAA actually researched what percentage of current drones will be "obsolete" according to them because they will not be able to comply. Not sure how they came up with numbers.  I certainly would not buy anything else or recommend anyone invest much money until we have assurance from DJI that the drones we have or will by will be able to be flown everywhere...not only in an AMA field.

Okay ....  so I got part of my answer but still not enough for me to recommend that anyone purchase a DJI drone.

Can DJI drones connect to the internet as will be required by FAA law?   Or will our drones all be obsolete?  

https://content.dji.com/we-strongly-support-drone-remote-id-but-not-like-this/?from=dap_unique&pbc=qCg1DB1v&pm=custom
2020-1-30
Use props
Rbrainard1
lvl.1
United States

I have the same question.  I am in the aviation business and I can assure you this proposal has a lot of momentum and it will become reality.  You can read about DJI AirSense on their sight and it is all new platforms.  I don't understand why they wouldn't let us know if there is an upgrade path, unless of course there isn't one.  I am going to be pretty p%^&ed of my $1,500 investment is worthless.  DJI are you listening???
2020-2-7
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

This will simply cause more people to fly illegally.  Any “bad actors”  will not comply and will still fly.  The FAA ISn  as king everyone less safe.   They should be more concerned as to why their recommendations were not followed causing the death of a sports star.  
2020-2-7
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

DJI drones will be able to comply.
2020-2-14
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

Here is a little more info.

The the drone does NOT need to connect directly to the internet. Only the base station will need to be able to connect i.e. controller/phone. All the hardware and radio frequencies are already compliant with the NPRM. It is envisioned that all DJI drones can be made compatible with a firmware update.

The only thing I heard about that would be cool to have is that going forward new DJI drones will have ADS-B receivers. You are not allowed to broadcast ADS-B so this feature is for the pilot of the drone for knowing where manned aircraft are located. You might want to wait for that but an ADS-B receiver is currently not required by the FAA. DJI demonstrated that capability in Toronto last year.
2020-2-15
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

If the FAA goes through with this most people will just ignore it, as they should!
2020-2-17
Use props
MeganAlsopTXO
New

United States

Will buy one for myself.       
2020-7-24
Use props
djiuser_g2VkrietJXul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13294426 ft
United States

MeganAlsopTXO Posted at 7-24 06:09
Will buy one for myself.

If im understanding what you are saying.... I would think, atleast in the US, that any drone you buy before any law changes you would be ok under Grandfather clause. They cant just change a law or rule that would stop you from being able to fly your drone after spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars possibly a week earlier. Or refund your money back
2020-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules