4464 14 2020-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mavixx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 993100 ft
Germany

Hello you all
the other day I had forgotten my micro-SD card but furtunately I had my Osmo Pocket where it belongs (in my pocket :-)

So I took the SD-card from my OP into the MM which worked fine of course. What I don't like is that the MM continued counting the file names where the OP ended. Like the last file I recorded with the MM the day before was DJI_0030.MP4. The last file I had recorded with the OP was DJI_0471.MP4 so the MM continued with DJI_0472.MP4. Now they both are counting the same numbers parallel which kinda sucks cuz when I'm copying both of them in the same folder I end up having all numbers twice.
The best solution would be if you could give them individual numbers (or prefix) like DJI_MM_0123.MP4 or DJI_OP_0123-MP4.
I dont even know how the MM knows where continue to count, I tried to fool it with changing the file name manually. Didn't work.
Any ideas?

Cheers mavixx

2020-1-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum and thank you for your valued insights. With regards to the resetting for the file name. I would recommed to please back up your files on the SD card and fortmat it to reset the filename to default. I will forwards this information/thread to our designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you.
2020-1-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your issue is not a DJI problem, it's just the way computer file systems work.
2020-1-21
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Labroides Posted at 1-21 14:18
Your issue is not a DJI problem, it's just the way computer file systems work.

Mmm, nope. It's actually a DJI problem. The software creating the movie decides what name to give the file.
2020-1-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 1-21 14:24
Mmm, nope. It's actually a DJI problem. The software creating the movie decides what name to give the file.

Yeah, just like any other camera system does. So it is NOT a DJI "problem", it is the way all camera systems automatically allocate file names.
2020-1-21
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Geebax Posted at 1-21 14:30
Yeah, just like any other camera system does. So it is NOT a DJI "problem", it is the way all camera systems automatically allocate file names.

If you read carefully, the OP's issue is about the two DJI products colliding when sharing an SD card, not about the indexing system itself. All other products I used remember the index internally, not by reading the last index existing on the SD card which is what seems the Mini has done in this case.
2020-1-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 1-21 14:48
If you read carefully, the OP's issue is about the two DJI products colliding when sharing an SD card, not about the indexing system itself. All other products I used remember the index internally, not by reading the last index existing on the SD card which is what seems the Mini has done in this case.

If you read carefully, the OP's issue is about the two DJI products colliding when sharing an SD card, not about the indexing system itself.

The only problem is that the OP wants to put image files from two different devices on the same card and in the same folder in his computer.
He said The last file I had recorded with the OP was DJI_0471.MP4 so the MM continued with DJI_0472.MP4.
If the card was clean and did not have 0471.MP4 still on it, the camera would not have made the next file 0472.MP4

This is a case of the OP needing to understand better how his cameras work rather than a case of DJI needing to "fix" something.

2020-1-21
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

i honestly don't understand this blind defending of anything DJI... i've been developing software for a lot of years now and I'm always up for making such small tweaks/improvements if it would benefit my users. This "issue" here (and I'm using quotes because I realise it's not a huge issue) is caused by DJI:
1. Having the same "DJI_index.mp4" naming scheme on both the OP and the MM
2. Using different index logic in the OP and the MM. One of them seems to update its index based on the last file it finds on the SD (that being the MM) while the other (the OP) seems to just keep counting using its internal index.

While I agree this is an easy issue to work around, it's similarly easy for DJI to tweak it to make things easier for users.
2020-1-22
Use props
Debugger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4865846 ft
  • >>>
Greece

I did my first 30 videos on a 64GB card (DJI_0001 to DJI_0030). I replace it with a formatted 128GB.
The new files started from DJI_0031 (normal to me). The next available filename is on the device, not on the SD card. Like mobiles do.
You have to perform factory reset to the device in order to start from 0000.
2020-1-22
Use props
labroidesyahoo.com
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 1-22 00:06
i honestly don't understand this blind defending of anything DJI... i've been developing software for a lot of years now and I'm always up for making such small tweaks/improvements if it would benefit my users. This "issue" here (and I'm using quotes because I realise it's not a huge issue) is caused by DJI:
1. Having the same "DJI_index.mp4" naming scheme on both the OP and the MM
2. Using different index logic in the OP and the MM. One of them seems to update its index based on the last file it finds on the SD (that being the MM) while the other (the OP) seems to just keep counting using its internal index.

i honestly don't understand this blind defending of anything DJI...
There's a lot you don't understand.

You don't understand someone pointing out that what an inexperienced user perceives to be a problem might just be the misunderstanding of an inexperienced user.
Pointing that out is very different from defending DJI.
2020-1-22
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

labroidesyahoo.com Posted at 1-22 05:01
There's a lot you don't understand.

well, there's no better argument than making it personal. You won, congrats.
2020-1-22
Use props
Mavixx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 993100 ft
Germany

Thanx to all of you trying to solve my 'problem', you should stop fighting each other and rather enjoy the beautiful hobby which unites us all, and enjoy flying!
I'll try hard-resetting the MM. :-)

Edit: unfortunately there's no way to factory-reset the MM (according to this https://forum.dji.com/thread-203812-1-1.html post)
Firmware refresh didnt work 'Update failed' and just for the record: formating the SD didn't help either...

2020-1-22
Use props
42Neil
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Like some others have said, I suspect the logic is that it will continue counting up the serial based on either: the last image taken using the device, or the last serial number on the memory card.  Some other devices I have (Sony camera) do a similar thing.

Given that there doesn't seem to be a way to reset to 0001, I would try adding a file called DJI_9999.jpg or DJI_9999.mp4 to the memory card and hopefully it will roll over back to DJ_0001 for the next file.

If that works, you should then be able to add a file called DJI_0030.jpg or DJI_0030.MP4 to the card, so that the next one is back to where you want it to be.

Hope that makes sense.
2020-1-22
Use props
rockets
lvl.1

Australia

How is this dude ao defensive?
Im not an inexperienced user, i own 6x DJI camera products. My sony cameras allow me to alter the default file name to "camera 1 _ Date Time" "camera 2 _ Date Time" etc
DJI products do not permit this, ans when you have so many cameras on a shoot and want to dump them all into one folder, this is annoying as it creates conflicts in file names, leads to potential duplicate files if you use your computer system to rename on copying etc.

This is a DJI problem. Its a problem that may be shared by other systems, and it may be the intended workflow, but, uts still a problem, and it can be resolved by DJI to make the workflow easier for professional use.

Its not inexperience or lack of knowledge, its identification of something that xan be improved fairly easily in firmware, and should be!
2022-3-3
Use props
djiuser_c7pw4Ap0o1qf
lvl.1
United States

I have a workaround solution for Lightroom users.

I couldn't figure out a way using the Fly app or playing around with the memory card. In addition to the sequencing problem the filenames with the prefix 'DJI' is also not ideal.

So I'm stuck importing files that in some cases have reset during one day, i.e. Lr's folder system is date-based by default so finder had to add the '-1' ending to duplicates. A huge mess basically.

My solution for all existing files ALREADY in Lightroom Classic:

1) search filename > contains 'DJI' and add all your photos to new collection
2) in grid mode sort by capture time
3) select all images
4) go to Library > rename photo... > in "file naming' I added a new preset for "MV3 + sequence from specified beginning" .. if your sequencing isn't a mess like mine you can actually purge the 'DJI' prefix and keep the # suffix.

Not only does this give you control of the exact filenames, but it does it within LrC so you don't have to worry about the headache of your files un-linking after you've reviewed, rated, culled, etc. Best aspect to this feature is that it actually changes the filename itself (not just in the LrC catalog like with changing the time/date of images).

Pretty busy at the moment but wanted to share. I've never had this sequencing issue with Canon, Sony or Nikon products so I share the frustration. Good luck everyone!
2022-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules