my mavic mini is falling in mid flight
12Next >
6513 49 2020-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Woodnaxe
lvl.2
France

Was flying with my mavic mini and he fell to the ground in mid flight for no reason...
Fortunately no apparent damage but  I am already starting to worry about the reliability of the drone after only 2 weeks ...
I have the video if the support want

2020-1-23
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Please post video, and flight log in either airdata.com or phantomhelp website.
2020-1-23
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

For some very capable analysts here, in addition to the video, the log would be particularly important.
2020-1-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the incident happened to your DJI Mavic Mini. I will highly recommend you to contact our support team at DJI SUPPORT to open a ticket case. We do have our professional team who will conduct further analysis on your unit for us to identify the main reason why the incident happened. The corresponding resolution will be provided once we receive the drone. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2020-1-23
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Welcome to the Mini falling out of the sky club, more and more incidents of this happening DJI need to urgently fix the AC firmware as I and I’m sure many others have no confidence when flying the Mini at the moment which is a shame as it’s a great little drone, just needs the Spark features adding to make it amazing.
2020-1-23
Use props
Miixxa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280682 ft
Finland

Have you read the flying in the cold and check propellors threads? There are many to choose from on this very forum. Those are the two main reasons for the Mini to fall to the ground. (Well then there's that falling in water by itself but for totally other reasons...)

Anyways since I guess it's not especially cold in France now you should start from replacing ALL propellers of the Mini and checking if the problem persists.
2020-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What temperature are you flying in ?
2020-1-23
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-23 08:49
Welcome to the Mini falling out of the sky club, more and more incidents of this happening DJI need to urgently fix the AC firmware as I and I’m sure many others have no confidence when flying the Mini at the moment which is a shame as it’s a great little drone, just needs the Spark features adding to make it amazing.

I keep finding that some people here fly in arctic temperatures, fall from the sky and then ask DJI to do something. STOP ! It cannot be ruled out that technical problems also play a role, but often enough it seems to me that the users themselves are "not entirely innocent."
2020-1-23
Use props
Hamiltom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82927 ft
Canada

jonny007 Posted at 1-23 12:11
I keep finding that some people here fly in arctic temperatures, fall from the sky and then ask DJI to do something. STOP ! It cannot be ruled out that technical problems also play a role, but often enough it seems to me that the users themselves are "not entirely innocent."

I did some testing today to check the new firmware. I experienced sudden drops in altitude after full acceleration in S,P and C modes when releasing the stick. The drops were about .5 to 1.5m and the loss was always about 30°to the NE. A little more wind or a weaker battery may have meant a crash. This is a different  flight characteristic from the original first 3 versions of the firmware. I believe the craft is much less stable than before. It's as if the power has been reduced. I was running fully charged warm batteries during the 10 minute flight. The weather was 3° C, Wind 8 km from NE and 78% humidity. Flight heights from 5 to 30m.
2020-1-23
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

Hamiltom Posted at 1-23 14:25
I did some testing today to check the new firmware. I experienced sudden drops in altitude after full acceleration in S,P and C modes when releasing the stick. The drops were about .5 to 1.5m and the loss was always about 30°to the NE. A little more wind or a weaker battery may have meant a crash. This is a different  flight characteristic from the original first 3 versions of the firmware. I believe the craft is much less stable than before. It's as if the power has been reduced. I was running fully charged warm batteries during the 10 minute flight. The weather was 3° C, Wind 8 km from NE and 78% humidity. Flight heights from 5 to 30m.

Ah, I have read the same thing several times that 1.04 compared to 1.03 has a less stable flight behavior. In that case, I agree that this must be addressed to DJI. by the way ... I am currently still at 1.03. Do you back to 1.03 ?
2020-1-23
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

3C ground level may mean lower temp in air, if there's a lot of moisture in air, Ice can build up on props. Worst case, replace props and see.
2020-1-23
Use props
Hamiltom
lvl.4
Canada

Wiz33 Posted at 1-23 14:40
3C ground level may mean lower temp in air, if there's a lot of moisture in air, Ice can build up on props. Worst case, replace props and see.

I landed on 3 occasions to check the props. Each time they were perfectly dry.The props are in "like new" condition.
2020-1-23
Use props
Hamiltom
lvl.4
Canada

jonny007 Posted at 1-23 14:35
Ah, I have read the same thing several times that 1.04 compared to 1.03 has a less stable flight behavior. In that case, I agree that this must be addressed to DJI. by the way ... I am currently still at 1.03. Do you back to 1.03 ?

I'm going to revert to 1.03 to see if it makes a difference.
2020-1-23
Use props
dutch937
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322461 ft
Canada

Just read this after I started a new thread...exactly what I experienced today for the first time. What I did when I got home was downgraded the firmware to the previous version, so will see what happens when I fly it next.
2020-1-23
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Changing the props, refreshing firmware is not the solution, unfortunately the Mini has some significant bugs that need to be addressed by DJI (which I’m sure they will address), updates can’t come soon enough.
2020-1-23
Use props
fanscddbe093
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95492 ft
United States

I'm a long-standing member of the "falling out of the sky club" too.  I lost my first Mini in the river and my second one is doing it on a very inconsistent basis.  When it wants to work, it's an awesome drone but when it wants to misbehave (maximum power load reached, ESC errors, loses altitude), there's nothing I can do about it.  
2020-1-23
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

wood, please post your details here so you can be told what you did wrong.
2020-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your very close to flying limit as regards temp .
2020-1-23
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

When you report such incidents it would be important that you also post the flight data and if data is not evident enough even video proof.

It's got nothing to do with verification rather better understanding of the circumstances and confrontation where everybody can partecipate to isolate a problem or point at possibile occurrences that led to a single isolated unfortunate event.
2020-1-24
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

I never fly the mini below 8 degrees Celsius, drops happened and I posted logs too.
I also noticed the hoover in mini FW 1.0.4 is less stable than before, so definitely something related to motor power was introduced in this FW 1.0.4.
2020-1-24
Use props
Hamiltom
lvl.4
Canada

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-24 02:34
I never fly the mini below 8 degrees Celsius, drops happened and I posted logs too.
I also noticed the hoover in mini FW 1.0.4 is less stable than before, so definitely something related to motor power was introduced in this FW 1.0.4.

I think 1.04 limits the maximum current to the motors  to a lower level than 1.03. It's too windy to test this theory today. I just discover Airdata - hopefully I can analyse cuurent draw during flight.
2020-1-24
Use props
Miixxa
lvl.2
Finland

Hamiltom Posted at 1-24 07:04
I think 1.04 limits the maximum current to the motors  to a lower level than 1.03. It's too windy to test this theory today. I just discover Airdata - hopefully I can analyse cuurent draw during flight.

Funny since the general consensus (and maybe DJI has confirmed this) is that the max motor current was limited...after they quite apparently raised it in 1.0.3 if you read the official release notes
So maybe they just overdid it and made the Mini too underpowered by being overly cautious?

Also many people think that the algorhitms have gone wonky and/or not compatible with the limited performance and that's what's causing all these erratic behaviour issues...guess we can't really do anything more than wait for the best.
2020-1-24
Use props
WooZie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4485558 ft
Romania

bird strike? ))))
2020-1-24
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
United Kingdom

WooZie Posted at 1-24 08:42
bird strike? ))))

WooZie just like yours
2020-1-24
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Miixxa Posted at 1-24 08:19
Funny since the general consensus (and maybe DJI has confirmed this) is that the max motor current was limited...after they quite apparently raised it in 1.0.3 if you read the official release notes
So maybe they just overdid it and made the Mini too underpowered by being overly cautious?

I think that is the case, they over did it being overly cautious.
Before there was a lot of "max power reached" errors that people were referring to being over powered, however they turn this down and the performance is affected.
2020-1-24
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

If I had a day with 8+°C here in winter!
2020-1-24
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Czechia

Miixxa Posted at 1-24 08:19

Never had earlier fw. than 1.03 but after upgrade to 1.04 Mini seems to me as well slightly less stable and power a bit chooked off.
2020-1-24
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

virtual Posted at 1-24 10:04
If I had a day with 8+°C here in winter!

lol but then we have desert summer and only siesta help
2020-1-24
Use props
Hamiltom
lvl.4
Canada

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-24 14:05
lol but then we have desert summer and only siesta help

A short test today in my back yard with FW 1.03. There much less drop in altitude when letting off on the stick. Temp 7°C, Humidity 73%, Winds NE 5-15km. The Mini is actually fairly stable for such a small for it's size and weight. The was only a very slight drift from gusts which it easily corrected. I will do some more testing and then upgrade to FW 1.04 again.
2020-1-24
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Upload the video
2020-1-24
Use props
Woodnaxe
lvl.2
France

Will upload the video sunday when I come back from vacation
2020-1-24
Use props
Woodnaxe
lvl.2
France

The drone was flying with a temperature of 1 degree Celsius and a 15/20km/h wind (montain with snow). I stayed ≈20 minutes outside with the drone and it had 6% battery when it fell a few meters from me.  I think the cold may have played a role as you said.

I know I should have put the drone down before (for the battery level) but I was a bit taken aback. I'm not saying that the product is faulty, I'm just trying to understand why it fell.  Being a beginner with drones I know I may have made mistakes.

Will update the Video and the data on sunday
2020-1-24
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Czechia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-24 14:05
lol but then we have desert summer and only siesta help

I know, pleasing for holiday on beach, not so pleasing for work or outdoor activity other than watter sports...
2020-1-25
Use props
Miixxa
lvl.2
Finland

Hamiltom Posted at 1-24 14:23
A short test today in my back yard with FW 1.03. There much less drop in altitude when letting off on the stick. Temp 7°C, Humidity 73%, Winds NE 5-15km. The Mini is actually fairly stable for such a small for it's size and weight. The was only a very slight drift from gusts which it easily corrected. I will do some more testing and then upgrade to FW 1.04 again.

Any updates to your tests?

Just wondering if I should revert back to the .03 to get better performance since I don't need the zone unlock in my region...
2020-1-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

virtual Posted at 1-25 03:41
I know, pleasing for holiday on beach, not so pleasing for work or outdoor activity other than watter sports...

Nailed, that's exactly it!  
I personally don't mind the cold, oposite to bear hibernation, summer hits you.
My grand mother used to say, the only remedy is to not move lol
2020-1-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Miixxa Posted at 1-25 03:59
Any updates to your tests?

Just wondering if I should revert back to the .03 to get better performance since I don't need the zone unlock in my region...

You could easily try and let us know, I thought about it but can't fly at the momment due to weather.
2020-1-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Hamiltom Posted at 1-24 14:23
A short test today in my back yard with FW 1.03. There much less drop in altitude when letting off on the stick. Temp 7°C, Humidity 73%, Winds NE 5-15km. The Mini is actually fairly stable for such a small for it's size and weight. The was only a very slight drift from gusts which it easily corrected. I will do some more testing and then upgrade to FW 1.04 again.

That proves some of our theories then, let us know if it changes with 1.0.4 even though I kow is hard to test this stuff in a changing environment.
2020-1-25
Use props
Hamiltom
lvl.4
Canada

No new updates as we are socked in due to continuous rain. It looks like we have 4-5 more days of this. A crazy mild winter so far.
2020-1-25
Use props
Hamiltom
lvl.4
Canada

Finally was able to get out today. Weather -1°C, Wind NE 6 km, 70% humidity.  3 Flights on a single battery totaling 21 minutes before low battery warning. No issues with icing on props, flight very stable, no unusual losses in altitude. GPS lock and hold within 10 cm after abrupt maneuvers in all three speeds and no dipping from side to side. RTH within 20 cm of homepoint. No power warnings, wind warnings or anything else (except low battery). I think I will be sticking with 1.03 for now. I will be reviewing the flights on Airdata to see if I find anything unusual. I really like this drone. I can't wait for spring.
2020-1-31
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

I started to get ESC errors when upgraded to firmware .0400 and errors disappeard when downgraded to firmware .0300.

I have upgraded to firmware .0400 but I am waiting the weather to improve to test the MM outdoor. But I am noticing that hover is a bit unstable indoor.
2020-1-31
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules