18446 26 2020-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dodo123
lvl.1
Israel

Hello,

I'm Shooting 1080, 25 fps, 1 minute is about 580MB,

Is there a way I could reduce the file size in the osmo action settings?
2020-1-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us. The file size of the video using the DJI Osmo Action will depend on the resolution of the footage. Therefore, we cannot change the file size that was generated on the DJI Osmo Action. If you want a much lower file size you must choose a much lower resolution. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support!  
2020-1-23
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

DJI does not offer low bitrate like a gopro or Yi camera has they offer the highest bitrate.  A larger card may be required if you're  worroed about file size?  5 minute 4gb filess are created.
2020-1-24
Use props
fans8bac0e74
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

It would be great to have a smaller file size option, whether lower bit rate or h.265 The files are large, I'd rather have a slight loss of quality and conserve space on the memory cards.
2020-6-13
Use props
ZenAmpere
lvl.1
United States

Yep, i agree, its really a pain deailing with giant files.   Im recording some blcking for a play that are in10 mins chucks and its annoyingly breaking into 4gb chuncks, and I have to post process it just to upload the files to facebook.  And that with just 1080p the lowest i can go.

we need a 720p mode with standard frameates  and  a bitrate quality selection.   

not everything we shoot needs 100/mbs

it just slows are whole workflow down when we don't need it.

Please fix in an update.

2020-6-20
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

have you tried changing the Format container?   
2020-6-20
Use props
dodo123
lvl.1
Israel

Fishycomics Posted at 6-20 10:55
have you tried changing the Format container?

Could you please explain what does it mean?
2020-6-21
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

dodo123 Posted at 6-21 02:29
Could you please explain what does it mean?

what do you have set up on your settings in the swipe left/video?
2020-6-21
Use props
dodo123
lvl.1
Israel

Fishycomics Posted at 6-21 04:17
what do you have set up on your settings in the swipe left/video?

under format I have MP4
2020-6-21
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

dodo123 Posted at 6-21 05:22
under format I have MP4

Now then see which one now gets you a larger file.
2020-6-21
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 6-21 06:42
Now then see which one now gets you a larger file.

It shouldn’t make any difference, MP4/mov is just the container, the codec is the same in both.
2020-6-21
Use props
dodo123
lvl.1
Israel

Fishycomics Posted at 6-21 06:42
Now then see which one now gets you a larger file.

Thank you.
2020-6-21
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

since we have a 100mbps  if the bitrate can get  a reduction,  that may  help out if not drop your res to 720P, DJI will not  offer a smaller size.
2020-6-21
Use props
djiuser_NUz9Rn8zbhu3
New

India

I recorded some 40 min clip and it was 35-40gb so to save some money and not buy gopro was a bad idea as i have to deal with these large file sizes all my life? #annoyed
2020-10-6
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I know it's an old thread but come on guys, you complain about the camera being too good since you complain about file size?
How small/big memorycards do you guys use? I use 128GB and would never go below 64GB for a video-camera.

If your parkinglot is too small, you don't complain to the car-manufacture to make a smaller car do you?  

2020-10-6
Use props
djiuser_kCrOsqHggMsA
lvl.1

Croatia

Using the Osmo action mounted on my helmet to take videos of scenery when I'm touring with the motocycle. I would really appreciate if DJI would add h.265 as a compression option or at least add 24-25 fps with 720p with Rocksteady, as I do not require that good quality, and transfering 40-45 gigabyte files on my phone takes forever... I sure hope DJI at least enable 720p at 24-25 fps in the next update...
2020-12-20
Use props
editron
lvl.1

Bulgaria

johansenfoto Posted at 2020-10-6 23:17
I know it's an old thread but come on guys, you complain about the camera being too good since you complain about file size?
How small/big memorycards do you guys use? I use 128GB and would never go below 64GB for a video-camera.

It's like a fancy car that you can only drive on Interstate travel. You cannot drive it around the city. Some of us just want to go to the local store.
It is reasonable for users to ask for DJI to include features that exist in every other camera on the market, including cheap Chinese brands.

1080p/30
1 min of video H.264
file size:
110 MB        Mobius (2013) - $70
150 MB        Firefly 8SE (2018) - $120
260 MB        Osmo Action (2019) - $220

Is Osmo extremely high quality or just less efficient? Because it's generating much more heat.
If I typically make 200 hours of video on my vacation, how many external hard drives I have to buy now? Motorcycle luggage has to be small and light.
Video Editing? Am I stuck with 20 min clips because Osmo doesn't have option to split it into 3 min clips. Every other camera has it.
If your target is YouTube or Facebook, 50% of the users watch it on their cell phones. On cell phone 720p video looks amazing. I just need 1080p/30 videos.
2021-3-30
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

editron Posted at 3-30 17:32
It's like a fancy car that you can only drive on Interstate travel. You cannot drive it around the city. Some of us just want to go to the local store.
It is reasonable for users to ask for DJI to include features that exist in every other camera on the market, including cheap Chinese brands.

I see your point.

Osmo Action record video in 33 Mbit/s 1080p @ 30 fps and sound in 190 kbit/s 48.000Hz
Firefly 8SE record video in 32 Mbit/s 1080p @ 60 fps (probably half that on 30 fps)
Mobius record video in 18 Mbit/s 1080p @ 30 fps

So yeah Osmo Action have the highest bitrate of them all, also record sound in high quality (don't know about the others).

You only need 1 harddrive! And I doubt you shoot 200 hours of video on your vacation
You want smaller clips, other guy on this forum want 150GB+ files.

But if you think Osmo Action make the files too big, why doesn't you just use the other cameras?  
Do you have a link to your youtube channel?
2021-3-31
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

if you have a Yi you have the Option to lower your Bitrate. since DJI is about making the best camera, we thank them for that, but also keep in mind some company like GoPro  taketh away 720P and can not do things right (just kidding)
2021-3-31
Use props
dodo123
lvl.1
Israel

Fishycomics Posted at 3-31 02:40
if you have a Yi you have the Option to lower your Bitrate. since DJI is about making the best camera, we thank them for that, but also keep in mind some company like GoPro  taketh away 720P and can not do things right (just kidding)

I'll try, but what is Yi?
2021-3-31
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

yi4K+ camera was what I said
2021-3-31
Use props
editron
lvl.1

Bulgaria

johansenfoto Posted at 3-31 01:16
I see your point.

Osmo Action record video in 33 Mbit/s 1080p @ 30 fps and sound in 190 kbit/s 48.000Hz

I see your reasoning.

But keep in mind that different video resolutions and frame rates are often bundled together in the same bitrate because it's easier to program it. Higher bit rate can mean more information, but also could be just programing convenience. It could sometimes be a marketing game of big numbers. Most often it relates to better picture.

Osmo Action is great camera, don't get me wrong. It's just too good for what I need.

2020 vacation I got around 150 hours of video.  Camera is on my helmet recording all the time. If I drive 30 days with 5 hours per day average, it's easy to get many hours. And yes, I might need second 2 TB hard drive. Osmo only packs 136 hours of 1080p/30 on 2 TB.

I bought Osmo because it's price got comparable with mid tier cameras. I expected it will be an upgrade in every aspect. It was but not in every aspect. While I will not return it, I'm not buying second Osmo either and replacing my Firefly 8SE completely.

Things that bother me the most:

--- No loop recording in 1080p/30
Oh come on. I can't see why it was not included. It is difficult to edit 20 min 4 GB files. All cameras have loop recording with multiple options.
--- There is need for cumbersome and heavy power brick. All that for a decent 8 hours of recording. And a spare brick in case first one fails.
--- Fear that Osmo will overheat in the burning sun and stop recording (will see about that one)

Things that other users reasonably require:

--- 2 levels of Sharpening
--- 2 levels of Bitrate

My YouTube channel is just my remembrance from my trips. It's not commercial. 2020 videos are decent.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPQGud0noMP1rKvfwaYIduA/playlists
2021-3-31
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

editron Posted at 3-31 16:19
I see your reasoning.

But keep in mind that different video resolutions and frame rates are often bundled together in the same bitrate because it's easier to program it. Higher bit rate can mean more information, but also could be just programing convenience. It could sometimes be a marketing game of big numbers. Most often it relates to better picture.

I looked at some of your videos, good edit but it seems like they are really short for the hours you are recording. I don't mean to bash or something, but just think you could get some more out into fewer videos - make it into stories.

But why do you record the whole driving when driving for hours? I know you don't want to miss anything, but when I'm out driving for hours, I start and stop recording if anything is happening or not. Osmo Action have one-click for record and stop and I really love it.

What I think could be the right camera for you, is SJCAM SJ10 Pro (or atleast SJ8 Pro). They can record in h.265 and have good quality and you can choose the quality + sharpening. SJ10 can use the filters from Osmo Action, but price for that camera is the same as Osmo Action.
I think they have loop-recording too, atleast SJ4000 have it.
2021-4-1
Use props
editron
lvl.1

Bulgaria

johansenfoto Posted at 4-1 03:09
I looked at some of your videos, good edit but it seems like they are really short for the hours you are recording. I don't mean to bash or something, but just think you could get some more out into fewer videos - make it into stories.

But why do you record the whole driving when driving for hours? I know you don't want to miss anything, but when I'm out driving for hours, I start and stop recording if anything is happening or not. Osmo Action have one-click for record and stop and I really love it.

Videos are short because they are for myself. Definitely will start making stories in the future.

I'm recording everything for accident protection, crooked police, foreigner is always at fault.

Always have several cameras, all equipment has to be double in case of loss, damage, theft...

SJ8 Pro was my second choice, thanks, but I picked Firefly 8SE because of stabilization in rough conditions. Stabilization was my pick. Basically I was watching split screen videos on Youtube in rough conditions. Firefly handled image better. For the same reason I expect great results from Rocksteady, I feel it's better than GP8 Hypersmooth at least for motorcycle.
I don't think Osmo Action will get more updates, it's the end of the life cycle. Engineering effort is in upcoming Osmo Action 2.

DJI does not care about 720p or 1080p anyway.
2021-4-1
Use props
djiuser_BH4NFfqRESHL
New
Indonesia

Hello DJI team, have you considered any solution to these large files issues reported here ? Its a great camera but files size is a burden to be honest. The smallest possible file size in video recording is 1080 x 24 fps (even 720 x available fps are very large). Just 2 minutes recording at 1080 x 24 fps  = 380 MB meaning 11.4 GB per hour. Not to mention 4k with absolutely monstrous files. Such files take forever to download to phone or computer. Can use handbrake on laptop to reduce each 4 GB files to just 160 MB without losing too much quality. But so much waste of time downloading and shrinking file. Could you propose in your next firmware update a solution for those seeking smaller size videos please even if thst means slightly lesser quality ? i.e. lower bit rates or 720 x 24/25/30 fps, etc or even 480 ? Appreciated.
2021-6-20
Use props
Galaad
lvl.1

Canada

djiuser_kCrOsqHggMsA Posted at 2020-12-20 17:26
Using the Osmo action mounted on my helmet to take videos of scenery when I'm touring with the motocycle. I would really appreciate if DJI would add h.265 as a compression option or at least add 24-25 fps with 720p with Rocksteady, as I do not require that good quality, and transfering 40-45 gigabyte files on my phone takes forever... I sure hope DJI at least enable 720p at 24-25 fps in the next update...

I am planning on doing the same thing as you with myne. Do you have it plugged so the battery doesn’t dye?

Thanks
2021-11-30
Use props
CezarBtz
New

Romania

I could not find the bitrate for different resolutions&fps so I found this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6lHIvh_Nv0&ab_channel=SauliusLag

It says that with Rocksteady On , for 4k with 60 fps you have a bitrate of 102 Mbit\s .

If you multiply 102 ( per second ) by 60 to get the bitrate per minute , is telling you that 1 min of 4k at 60fps takes 0.75 Gigabytes

https://convertlive.com/u/convert/megabits/to/gigabytes#6120

So , for a card of 128 Gb you can record 170 min ( 2.8 hours ) . That's a lot of space for only 3 hours of video .

If all this files are split in "chapters" of 4Gb ( ~ 5 min of video ) you need to assemble them somehow , to be continuous . I recall that GoPro had something similar but they had a software that was assembling this chapters ( if you paid a subscription) . I send the camera back but I remember back then that they said they will increase the size of the chapter . The FAT suport 4Gb but you can go NTFS so this limitation does not exist ( I'm not interested in chapters ) .

To conclude : huge files created by the camera ( a limitation in size will be fantastic but it means that they need to use a new codec  that will load the extra the cpu so I'm not seeing it in this version ). Also , the most annoying thing are the chapters , I will not buy this camera if the chapters are still there ( should ask you if you want chapters and , if yes , the size of the chapter ) .   

2023-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules