Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iPad Mini for Drone Control?
996 4 2020-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
net23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9337 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm cosidering getting an iPad Mini to use as a remote controller for my Mavic Mini (and to be a decent portable tablet.)

Can the folks using them please comment? If I do get one I will likely have it on LTE as well because I can just add it and share data with my exisitng mobile contract.

Does DJI Fly run well on the Mini? Any gotchas that one should know about? Is it future proof in that if I suddenly decide to join the Mavic Pro 2 club, I'll be psyched that I already have it?

I'm currently running the Mini with an iPhone 11 Pro, and it's been fine so far, small screen, phone... I'm kinda thinking it would be nice to have a more dedicated device.

Whaddya think? Cheers!

2020-1-24
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'd go for the latest models like a Mini 4 or 5

I've used a Mini 4 with DJI Go 4 and now DJI Fly, it has never crashed, glitched or lagged in 4 years.
I like the cellular function to get real time map updates, can't be bothered caching the maps before as you loose them one you close the app in IOS
It's also a perfect fit for the jaws of the controller and the bigger screen is a bonus

DJI Fly is working well with IOS 13.3

One thing to note, is that DJI Fly hasn't been optimised for the Ipad Mini, it's not a full screen but it's close and it's in the normal perspective, you just need to hit the expand button, once set the app opens like that.

2020-1-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best information for this inquiry. Just a friend reminder, please use the recommended mobile device to ensure the stability and comparability of the said drone during flight. Thank you for your valued support and safe flying.
2020-1-24
Use props
djiuser_yZFT7MNWDgfG
lvl.1
United States

I know you asked about a iPad.

I'm a Samsung note fan, but in similar situation.... So I got the samsung galaxy tab s5 for my drones, couldn't be happier so much better with a dedicated large device.... Just so it
2020-1-26
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a Mini 4 occasionally. The screen is great, but since it's not LTE I just have to share data from my phone. It works pretty well, but I don't use it often just because it's another piece of equipment I have to charge up and bring with. However, while on vacation I was having trouble with my phone restarting, so I was super happy I had my iPad mini with to fly the drone.
2020-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules