Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Orbiting
3663 19 2015-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Good evening everyone,

Wanted to ask you folks how you go about obtaining an 'orbiting' video sequence?

For example, flying around a church, castle, or other interesting feature in a smooth circular motion.

I can sort of achieve this manually although it is very difficult to achieve first time, especially for a novice P3 pilot like myself. From what I have read, I also believe this feature hasnt yet been implemented by DJI and that it'll maybe be introduced by a 3rd party developer or via a DJI Pilot app update?

Apologies if this has been discussed many times before but I cant seem to find the info!

Cheers,

Nick
2015-6-12
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is mentioned in the IOC section of the Phantom manual. The feature is named "POI". According to the manual, it'll be coming at some point in the future. DJI has not made it clear if it'll be a feature of the API, DJI Pilot, or both.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-12
Use props
myhondas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12100 ft
United States

I started a thread on this same very topic today....orbit/poi
2015-6-12
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

PhantomHelp.com Posted at 2015-6-13 03:16
This is mentioned in the IOC section of the Phantom manual. The feature is named "POI". According to ...

Cool.. I'll look forward to them implementing that feature in the not too distant future. Hopefully!

In my opinion its a killer feature that shouldn't be missing from the Phantom 3 considering all the tech its got on board.

Cheers,

Nick
2015-6-12
Use props
DrDoktir
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I'll post some footage when i can, but as far as orbit/poi goes, it can be accomplished with a little practice.  It is extremely difficult to do manually when there is wind.  With <5 mph wind or no wind, a satisfactory orbit can be obtained by pushing the directional stick and the spin stick in opposite directions.  

-O O- or O- -O

Go to a field and find something to put in the center.  Get your height and distance from object, then aim your gimbal, once you are happy with these, start a slow, wide orbit.  Do this a few times to train, and you'll become pretty decent at adjusting both during a flight.  Most of this stuff is practice, and that's how I practice.  footage to follow, when I am not at work.  
Edited for grammar.
2015-6-12
Use props
Silentwitness
lvl.3
Flight distance : 286637 ft
United Kingdom

This was my attempt. Hardly any wind thankfully.

2015-6-12
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's a neat hack you can do with a piece of cardboard:

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-12
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

PhantomHelp.com Posted at 2015-6-13 05:17
Here's a neat hack you can do with a piece of cardboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP86X7ecrT ...

Thats a useful tip - i use a quaker oats box for a sun shade on the controller, now I can use the last part for the left stick!
2015-6-12
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

sdharris Posted at 2015-6-13 05:46
Thats a useful tip - i use a quaker oats box for a sun shade on the controller, now I can use the  ...

Thanks for all the input there fellas, I'll check it all out properly tomorrow morning.

Nick
2015-6-12
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

I started with a PH2/GoPro about 6 months ago.  I wanted the POI shot so badly.  So I went to an empty parking lot with a tripod and a bright white ball mounted on top.  I just kept practicing circling the tripod over and over again.  The most difficult part of the maneuver for me was trying to keep the circle the same distance from the tripod.  I had a pretty smooth turn - as opposed to the "forward, turn, forward, turn" look.  But I would either spiral out, or spiral in.  But I also had no FPV setup, so I was flying blind; old school, by feel.  lol  But it was great practice.

So, since we really have no idea when Follow-Me and POI will become available, just practice, practice, practice.

Have fun!!
2015-6-12
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sdharris Posted at 2015-6-13 05:46
Thats a useful tip - i use a quaker oats box for a sun shade on the controller, now I can use the  ...

That's the most British thing I have read on these forums
2015-6-13
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Yeah, you can tell the difference cause we Americans would have used a Froot Loops box instead.  : )
2015-6-13
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

DrDoktir Posted at 2015-6-13 05:08
I'll post some footage when i can, but as far as orbit/poi goes, it can be accomplished with a littl ...

The above is a cute little video that might help until DJI produces a POI option.
2015-6-14
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-15 06:54

The above is a cute little video that might help unti ...

I tried doing an orbit today. I sucked at it soooooo badly that it's not even funny.
In my own defense there was 13mph wind and EM interference kept knocking me to ATTI mode, but flipping heck I need to practice this!

One thing I'm not understanding about the proposed "POI feature" in software is, are we going to be able to set the radius of the object? And how is it detecting the center?

I mean, orbiting the dome of a cathedral at 300' up and 80' radius is a completely different kettle from orbiting a person standing in a field.
2015-6-14
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

lightpanther Posted at 2015-6-15 07:08
I tried doing an orbit today. I sucked at it soooooo badly that it's not even funny.
In my own defe ...

Agreed! I went out into an empty field and tried this. Not for very long. It's not as easy as it looks.

When I first heard about this, I thought "...what's the deal with the cereal box top?" In the video it becomes obvious.

Prior to getting a POI or equivalent from DJI, I think the key for the "circling technique" is the speed. Think of it like something either in orbit around the earth or something tethered to a long piece of string. Close in, i.e., small diameter, it's going to have be turning slowly. As you get farther and farther out, it must turn faster and faster. My personal experience was that the small-diameter circle was much easier to maintain.

The zoom-away effect (I refuse to use the term fly-away!!!) seems much more easily accomplished if you fly backwards, away from the "target."

Also, experiment with the course lock feature on the Phantom. You obviously can't get the full circle effect, but it's much easier to keep the camera on target for a pass in a given direction.
2015-6-15
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

The piece of cardboard worked quite well for me when I tried it on the weekend. I didn't remove the end of the stick to fit the cardboard so it slipped down after a while but it certainly allowed for a constant rotation to be achieved while adjusting the speed of the other axis.

Its a good tip, and it will be interesting to see if the finished POI feature from DJI looks too precise compared with a manual rotation.
2015-6-15
Use props
mark1975
lvl.3
Flight distance : 92454 ft
United Kingdom

Silentwitness Posted at 2015-6-13 05:14
This was my attempt. Hardly any wind thankfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snRBdBfjU6A

awesome I see your a local lad to me im in ossy
2015-6-15
Use props
llll
lvl.2

United States

A really nice feature for DJI to offer in a future firmware/pilot upgrade would be a "macro" equivalent of control, where the movement of the sticks becomes exponentially more fine tuned. As it is now, you need hacks like the cardboard trick (effin' brilliant, that) to maintain a steady yaw -- it just as hard to do a completely steady zoom out or sideways float because invariably you jiggle the stick a bit and throw things off. But imagine if you could flip a switch (say, that entirely useless 2nd button under the P3 controller) and switch the controls to ultra fine movements -- whacking the stick to either side would only change speed/yaw by one tenth of normal -- that would allow you to maintain a much more stable look for a slow pan or circle shot. Then, when you're done with that clip and need to fly normally again, you'd just flip the switch right back and regain full control. I'm not an old hack at flying RCs -- this may all be stuff that exists on traditional transmitters. But it would definitely be helpful for the Phantoms...
2015-6-21
Use props
DrDoktir
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here is some footage inside a music video that has rotation:
2015-6-25
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

DrDoktir Posted at 2015-6-13 05:08
I'll post some footage when i can, but as far as orbit/poi goes, it can be accomplished with a littl ...

This was my attempt.  I stayed a little further away than I wanted cause I didn't want to bother the hikers.

http://youtu.be/ZLFFK6X7xBc

Sorry, haven't figured out how to add the video directly into the reply.

2015-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules