Yet another feature request:
743 9 2020-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

I would like to have a selectable feature for how the RC's control sticks behave.

I understand that the control sticks use magnets and Hall-Effect sensors to determine the stick position.  That's nice because you don't end up with dirty pots messing with you.

The outputs from the Hall-Effect sensor ICs are probably somewhat linear with respect to the intensity of the magnetic field from the control stick.  But perhaps not linear.  But regardless:

I find that for me, the control sticks are a bit too sensitive near the center.  I do a lot of indoor flying because of the wind here, and it would be nice to have a control mode that gives a non-linear response to stick displacement such that near the center, the response is far more gradual than it is now, and then as you move the stick farther from center you get a steeper curve so that you still end up with the same total range of control, but can make very subtle moves with the sticks nearer to center.

I know that wouldn't be useful all of the time, and certainly not for different people.  So this would need to have a menu item or other way to switch in and out of this "progressive" control mode.

This would be similar to having a log-taper or audio-taper potentiometer.  And because this is all done in firmware anyhow, I'm sure it wouldn't take too much to accomplish this feature.

I'm not sure what the ideal curve would be for this response.  Perhaps a log taper, but maybe have an inflection point somewhere in the range where it shifts from the more gradual response to something more like what it is now.

Anyhow, I think this might be a good way to give people more subtle control while still allowing for the full possible range of control response.

I'm sure my desire for this is, in large part, due to my inexperience.  But it really does seem quite "twitchy" for my taste in response when flying in tight spaces.  I've thought about machining some longer control sticks to reduce the apparent sensitivity of the controls.  That might help.  But being able to change the response curve of the controls would be handy for me.

2020-1-24
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

What you're asking for is called "expo" in the RC world, pretty much all modern radios have it, and it's also available in DJI GO. It's typically used to soften the response around center stick, and gradually (exponentially, hence the name) increase it at full stick, so you have better control where you typically need it the most, without losing the full range.
2020-1-24
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

120ccpm Posted at 1-24 23:11
What you're asking for is called "expo" in the RC world, pretty much all modern radios have it, and it's also available in DJI GO. It's typically used to soften the response around center stick, and gradually (exponentially, hence the name) increase it at full stick, so you have better control where you typically need it the most, without losing the full range.

YES!  That's exactly what I'd like to see available in the RC for the Mini.  I think that would be a really handy mode for me, especially flying indoors or near trees and other obstacles outdoors.
2020-1-24
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Yes, expo is frequently used in RC world. Longer sticks can improove the feeling too...
2020-1-25
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Sigmo Posted at 1-24 23:14
YES!  That's exactly what I'd like to see available in the RC for the Mini.  I think that would be a really handy mode for me, especially flying indoors or near trees and other obstacles outdoors.

Yes indeed, I have ordered these sticks. For comparing I have mounted both sticks (length 1.8cm and 2.7cm). Feels much more sensitive and I think thats the only way for this purpose.

2020-1-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Sigmo. Thank you for sharing your insights with regards to this matter and for sharing these information with us. These information will be cascaded to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. Thank you for your support.
2020-1-25
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-25 08:45
Hello and good day Sigmo. Thank you for sharing your insights with regards to this matter and for sharing these information with us. These information will be cascaded to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. Thank you for your support.

Thank you.

I really do think this is an easy-to-implement feature that your customers would appreciate having.  Hopefully it will be considered for inclusion in a future firmware update.
2020-1-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think just ordering longer sticks would help you out a lot.
2020-1-25
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sigmo Posted at 1-25 20:02
Thank you.

I really do think this is an easy-to-implement feature that your customers would appreciate having.  Hopefully it will be considered for inclusion in a future firmware update.

DJI has implemented this on all of their other drones, except for the Spark and Mini.  I really hope they will add it to the Mini, but I have my doubts since they never added it to the Spark, regardless of the many requests for it.

It honestly is one of the several missing software features that would change the Mini from a pretty good little drone to an amazing little drone.  Unfortunately, I think they likely plan to keep several of these features off of the Mini so as to help differentiate their more expensive models.  

Hopefully I'm wrong though and DJI decides to surprise us!
2020-1-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Sigmo Posted at 1-25 20:02
Thank you.

You are very much welcome Sigmo. If you have any other request, inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We here to help and support you. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules