FAA modifications to NPRM
1327 7 2020-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NightThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

There is a new document (1/23/2020) here from the FAA that has proposes significant changes to the 12/31/2019 NPRM. The most significant mods IMO are in the requirements for broadcasting and internet connectivity.

1. No ADS-B.
Looks like you will be able to meet broadcast requirements with RF frequencies already used to fly UAS. FAA claims existing UAS in many cases can be upgraded with a firmware change to make a drone compliant with broadcasting requirements. I believe that all DJI drones can be made compliant by firmware upgrade.

2. Flying with no internent connection is now allowed.
Standard Remote Identification UAS now allows for flights where the internet may not be available. IMO FAA should just drop the internet connectivity as I cannot connect to the internet anywhere I am.

This obviously not as onerous as before. Still not great but much better.

2020-1-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day NightThunder. Thank you for reaching out and for giving us an update with regards to this matter. Thank you for sharing these information and for your valued support.
2020-1-25
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Those changes are most definitely a step in the right direction.
2020-1-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not quite enough changes yet but at least these two will help.  I guess only time will tell how many more things get changed.
2020-1-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Keep commenting to FAA.  We are making progress!  
2020-1-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

"FAA should just drop the internet connectivity as I cannot connect to the internet anywhere I am"

Internet connectivity, Never should have been part of response back to FAA.

2020-1-30
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-30 10:53
"FAA should just drop the internet connectivity as I cannot connect to the internet anywhere I am"

Internet connectivity, Never should have been part of response back to FAA.

Yep. Internet connectivity is a bad idea and probably unworkable. The fact that the FAA is now willing to allow flights without connectivity shows weakness of that part of the proposal. Also what happens when a UAS disconnects.and/or there is a fly away. The UAS is not connected to the internet, the phone is!

The FAA should just stick with broadcast capability.
2020-1-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Worth taking a look at this, and for anyone who thought FAA weren’t behind the need to disclose pilots information them go to 20.10 where it’s in no doubt who is pulling the strings here.

2020-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules