Full Sunrise Time-Lapse at Montauk Point shot on Mavic Mini
881 11 2020-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1929918 ft
United States

I've been experimenting using the Mavic Mini to capture events in time-lapse, which has turned out to be a bit challenging.  Despite some issues with the Mini wanting to rotate in a clockwise direction VERY SLOWLY until there was significant ambient light, I was able to nudge it back in line and gently hold the stick to diminish the issue.  It seemed like once it was bright enough, the Mini held perfectly. Assuming that's due to the visual sensors taking effect once light was adequate. The other possibilities I was considering were that I did NOT calibrate compass prior to take off, and I have anti-collision lights on the Mini top and bottom... so maybe one of them was throwing off the compass. Any insights would be appreciated.

2020-1-26
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice footage.
2020-1-26
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Lovely footage, nicely done
2020-1-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great capture,  might be worth trying to stabilise the footage if you have an editor that supports it.
2020-1-27
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-27 02:50
Great capture,  might be worth trying to stabilise the footage if you have an editor that supports it.

Thanks! What you see is after software stabilization and flux. Without at least software stabilization the playback is  very rough.   I was considering doing a SECONDARY stabilization, after applying flux... but I'm really hoping to get more stable footage to start.  I saw a video on a Mini being broken down fully, and I had my top strobe right over compass and GPS unit under shell.  Next time I'll try positioning it farther forward and see if that helps with the rotational drift.
2020-1-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah, it sort of worked.
Still too much movement between the frames for a totally smooth experience.
2020-1-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MontaukDrone Posted at 1-27 03:06
Thanks! What you see is after software stabilization and flux. Without at least software stabilization the playback is  very rough.   I was considering doing a SECONDARY stabilization, after applying flux... but I'm really hoping to get more stable footage to start.  I saw a video on a Mini being broken down fully, and I had my top strobe right over compass and GPS unit under shell.  Next time I'll try positioning it farther forward and see if that helps with the rotational drift.

Do you really need the strobe?  Less. weight might help.
2020-1-27
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-27 04:53
Do you really need the strobe?  Less. weight might help.

Well, technically to be legal I need the strobe if i launch before sunrise (which i do), but its a firehouse unit that only weighs 4 grams... and I have a white (cheapo) on bottom that's about the same.. so I think the ~8grams of weight in fairly insignificant...  aside from the wind, which causes the drone to bob up and down a bit.. the slow drifting rotation that was happening was the biggest hindrance to getting better results.
2020-1-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MontaukDrone Posted at 1-27 05:00
Well, technically to be legal I need the strobe if i launch before sunrise (which i do), but its a firehouse unit that only weighs 4 grams... and I have a white (cheapo) on bottom that's about the same.. so I think the ~8grams of weight in fairly insignificant...  aside from the wind, which causes the drone to bob up and down a bit.. the slow drifting rotation that was happening was the biggest hindrance to getting better results.

Here the VLOS rules mean that you cannot have any aids to help you see the craft,  and I thought the US was the same.  
2020-1-27
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-27 05:03
Here the VLOS rules mean that you cannot have any aids to help you see the craft,  and I thought the US was the same.

That is correct. It is not an aid to VLOS, it is an anti-collision light that must be visible from 3SM and is required if operating in the 1/2 hour before sunrise or 1/2 hour after sunset, when Part 107 operations are allowed.
2020-1-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MontaukDrone Posted at 1-27 05:08
That is correct. It is not an aid to VLOS, it is an anti-collision light that must be visible from 3SM and is required if operating in the 1/2 hour before sunrise or 1/2 hour after sunset, when Part 107 operations are allowed.

Gotcha.  
2020-1-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent footage
2020-9-4
Use props
Advanced