Loading maps on DJI Fly similar to DJI Go 4.0
3130 10 2020-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flatline74
lvl.2
Flight distance : 259 ft
United States

I saw a video on YouTube that there is a way to download maps to have in place for where ever you go on the DJI GO 4 App. I do not see this feature on the DJI Fly, am I looking in the wrong spot and if it's not capable of doing that,  why in the world not?
2020-1-26
Use props
Denny-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899875 ft
Germany

DJI Fly does automatically cache the map. Just open the map in the app when you are at home using wlan and go to the area you want to fly in on the map. It should now be available in offline mode.
You DON'T need to connect and power on your rc/ac to do that. Just select connect aircraft on the bottom right, and then camera view on the top right. Then select the map on the bottom left.
2020-1-26
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

Ok, I did that. I “cached” my immediate area and then some.  I gave it a good 20 minutes just sitting here with my WiFi on. I turned the craft on the controller and turned WiFi the off and I lost majority of my “loaded” map area. I do not like how this is set up so far. If I have the memory on my iPad 5 then it should load the entire U.S if I want it too. Which I think is possible with the DJI Go 4.  I would not think this would be a huge software adjustment.
2020-1-26
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

Is there a certain amount of time that I need to have the maps open and my WiFi on the tablet on for these maps to load appropriately? I know if you close DJI Fly app you lose  the map you loaded. There has to be a better way to do this, short of having a device that has cellular data on the entire time.
2020-1-27
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

I'm curious about this, too.  I want to fly in areas without cell coverage, plus, I prefer to fly with the phone in airplane mode.  Being able to download and store map areas for offline use is going to be really handy if it's possible.
2020-1-27
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

Sigmo Posted at 1-27 13:12
I'm curious about this, too.  I want to fly in areas without cell coverage, plus, I prefer to fly with the phone in airplane mode.  Being able to download and store map areas for offline use is going to be really handy if it's possible.

I wish I had a device that I could really check out DJI Go 4. And if there really is an area that you can download maps areas at will, I really don’t understand why I can’t with DJI Fly, and it not disappear if I close the app. Right now my best scenario is I should have bought an iPad 5 with cellular service but I do not want the extra data cost just to go out and fly at will.
2020-1-27
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

Sigmo Posted at 1-27 13:12

I wish I had a device that I could really check out DJI Go 4. And if there really is an area that you can download maps areas at will, I really don’t understand why I can’t with DJI Fly, and it not disappear if I close the app. Right now my best scenario is I should have bought an iPad 5 with cellular service but I do not want the extra data cost just to go out and fly at will.
2020-1-27
Use props
dark13star
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16739 ft
United States

I didn't realize it loses the maps of you close the app. That is pretty useless and means I won't be able to have maps in many of the areas in Colorado where there is no cell service.
2020-1-27
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

dark13star Posted at 1-27 18:15
I didn't realize it loses the maps of you close the app. That is pretty useless and means I won't be able to have maps in many of the areas in Colorado where there is no cell service.

Same here in Wyoming.  And many of the most beautiful places to fly and film are, of course, in the more wild and remote areas where cell coverage is not available.  So being able to download and store maps for various areas would be extremely useful.

This is a common feature of GPS programs, map programs, etc.  I'd like to see this added to the DJI-Fly app!

2020-1-27
Use props
BlackMagik
lvl.1
Flight distance : 666 ft
Argentina

+1!
Having this feature should be a priority for DJI.
2020-2-1
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

BlackMagik Posted at 2-1 17:45
+1!
Having this feature should be a priority for DJI.

It seems like if I scroll around the map and view a very large area with WiFi on  it will cache a decent size around home base. But DJI please do something so it will save the areas we choose. I close the app and all of it is gone (with WiFi off).  I chose a WiFi only iPad 5 with the understanding that you can cache any area you want to fly but that really is only a half truth in my eyes.
2020-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules