Mavic MINI's safe from registration?
1197 17 2020-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RePrEsEnT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11984951 ft
Slovenia

New rules are coming and i just want to know what do u think about it?

2020-1-27
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

All change I.
2020-1-27
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
United Kingdom

All change in Europe and UK come July 2020 with ESEA Regulations
2020-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Just listening to that would be worrying for anyone flying in the US .
2020-1-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow.
2020-1-27
Use props
grahamjohnson10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2817172 ft
United Kingdom

No need to worry .55 pounds is 249.4758 grams so there is no need for remote identification with the MM.

Saying that though there is a setting in the DJI Fly app to enable it.
2020-1-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It will be interesting to see what the spec of the remote ID will be to know if our drones will be able to be updated to support it otherwise we will fall into a category where we can only fly in remote locations.
2020-1-28
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

What isn’t being conveyed is the detriment this will have to the rest of the aeromodelling community in the USA, and it is strongly urged you make your thoughts known to the FAA.

Things that will change if all this comes to fruition.

Model aircraft, helicopters, and non-type approved drones will be limited to pre-approved areas, most likely AMA affiliated flying clubs. These areas will be limited in number and after 12 months no more applications will be accepted. In the long run, due to such things as changes in land use, these areas will disappear for good. A type approved model will NOT be allowed to be flown in one of these areas.

If you don’t have access to one of these pre-approved areas and you fly traditional flying models you will be grounded for good.

If you want to fly outside of these pre-approved areas you will need a model that has been type approved and on a type approved list. There will be no option to retrofit your model to meet these requirements.

Essentially a hobby that has maintained an exemplary health and safety record for over 100yrs will be killed off in a relative instant, mostly due in part to ignorance and the unsubstantiated fear of the unknown.

Nidge.

2020-1-28
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-28 01:45
It will be interesting to see what the spec of the remote ID will be to know if our drones will be able to be updated to support it otherwise we will fall into a category where we can only fly in remote locations.

I don't think "remote" is an option.

regardless if you fly in an area that is near or far, in the city, or out the city, in town, or remote town.....no id = " pre-approved areas" only is the way I believe this will ultimately come down.

you would think you don't need remote id if you fly a small drone in the middle of the mohave desert but apparently that would be "unsafe."

bad, bad idea

2020-1-28
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the way the FAA proposal is written, it says there will be an exception for UAS that is under .55 lbs. That does include the mini since it weighs less than 250 grams. But it doesn't say what that exception will be. If it's excluded from remote ID or if it will need to be only flown in a designated approved area or totally grounded or what. It's going to be interesting that is for sure.
2020-1-28
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

Nidge Posted at 1-28 02:10
What isn’t being conveyed is the detriment this will have to the rest of the aeromodelling community in the USA, and it is strongly urged you make your thoughts known to the FAA.

The no Remote ID UAV are only allowed in restricted areas (AMA fieds). Standard RI UAV and Limited RI UAV can fly where they can now.

Limited RI however, can only by flown up to 400 feet from the controller as long as they have a connection via internet to a USS. Without the connection they can't take off and if the connection is lost during flight they must land as soon as possible,

Of course the connection to the USS will have to be paid.
2020-1-28
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
United Kingdom

grahamjohnson10 Posted at 1-27 17:26
No need to worry .55 pounds is 249.4758 grams so there is no need for remote identification with the MM.

Saying that though there is a setting in the DJI Fly app to enable it.

True, but still needs regeneration and fee come July 2020
2020-1-28
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I don't believe the truth when the one who's telling it grins while doing it.

Enough of that regulation, that's only for liability and restriction... and if you like "the drone tax". A Mavic Mini with a tax disc... Is it any good? Probably... not for me.

Fancy insurance? You're now allowed to fly in parks, over cities, buildings, constructed areas, roads, farms, wildlife, persons, public events, private land, bodies of water, rivers, seas, shores. Should the drone get down your insurance company will directly sue you for terms breakage and increase any possibile damage compensation to the max...congratulation, money well spent!

Let's enjoy this sport before the TALIBANs will rule it out.
2020-1-28
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 1-28 12:39
I think the way the FAA proposal is written, it says there will be an exception for UAS that is under .55 lbs. That does include the mini since it weighs less than 250 grams. But it doesn't say what that exception will be. If it's excluded from remote ID or if it will need to be only flown in a designated approved area or totally grounded or what. It's going to be interesting that is for sure.

not trying to start an argument or distract from the conversation but if the current registration model is based on the weight of the aircraft at time of takeoff from ground, how does that work for remote id?  if I add landing gear to my lightweight Mavic Mini is it no longer allowed to take off unless it broadcasts?  or is it true that just like today, the "general" exemption is [implied] granted by sku or model number?  just putting that out there since my current mm bears my personal registration number.
2020-1-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

What a crock.  As if having Remote Drone Identification would have made one iota of difference in cases of Covey of Drones (she mentions at 08:30) flying over Colorado and Nebraska.
Whatever U.S. Government agency was involved either directly or by way of private company doing flying; the Government agency could careless what F.A.A. rules are.  
2020-1-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Nidge Posted at 1-28 02:10

"What isn’t being conveyed is the detriment this will have to the rest of the aeromodelling community in the USA, and it is strongly urged you make your thoughts known to the FAA."

Already have made one of my thoughts known to FAA.  Plan to make several more thoughts known to FAA.  

One involves FAA dicating flight rules below 400-feet, when a person is flying over their private property, especially out in country!

2020-1-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Research reveals that the FAA considers the air one millimeter above your lawn or your patio, to be national airspace subject to federal government regulation.  Congress needs to change this BS.
2020-1-28
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-28 15:26
not trying to start an argument or distract from the conversation but if the current registration model is based on the weight of the aircraft at time of takeoff from ground, how does that work for remote id?  if I add landing gear to my lightweight Mavic Mini is it no longer allowed to take off unless it broadcasts?  or is it true that just like today, the "general" exemption is  granted by sku or model number?  just putting that out there since my current mm bears my personal registration number.

I'm don't think that you are trying to start an argument or distract either. I think you are like a lot of us and trying to figure out and learn what is really going on. I for one, am in the dark about the logistics of this proposal and I don't think I'm alone.
2020-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules