4409 68 2020-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Christian U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189659 ft
Germany

Airspeed by pressure is measured so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot_tube
And the Mini has only the IMU wich measures speed changes by the Magnetig field of earth and the GPS Speed.
2020-1-31
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

>Complaining to DJI...

Do you see and hear something from the DJI Admins ?
They only told "were sorry" at the beginning of an thread.
I think its an known issue, and hopefully they calculate some sort of thermal budget in the next firmware and limit the end speed of the mini if that budget is 0.
2020-1-31
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Hi,

It is not an excuse but remember it is Chinese New year actually (since the 25th of January) and it lasts 2 weeks, so I guess we will not have valuable advices or answers from Dji until 10 days
2020-1-31
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

Francoisd Posted at 1-31 23:49
Hi,

It is not an excuse but remember it is Chinese New year actually (since the 25th of January) and it lasts 2 weeks, so I guess we will not have valuable advices or answers from Dji until 10 days

At least one is around. It took me 3 Threads to find the latest Posting from DJI Stephen from yesterday evening...
2020-2-1
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

Miixxa Posted at 1-31 23:28
Okay:
1. Some MM's have had defective props from the factory, or more specifically props have been warped in transit because of the way DJI packs them, especially in Fly More Combo. There's no real factual explanation BUT it's a fact that some users have had bad props straight out of the box. Myself included.
2. Like I said, I had bad props straight from the box. I didn't even notice it on the first few flights until these drops (and some other issues) started to happen. I inspected the props thoroughly and discovered one single blade to be warped an more flexible than others. Caused random erratic flying, drops and clattering sound and didn't happen consistently. Since I changed the props (or that one pair of blades on the motor that had the warped one) I haven't noticed anything as bad as I had first.

I understand that it yould have an effect. Try to make it the other way around, try to reproduce the issue yourself i have given detailed instructions how i reproduce it. If its prop relatet you shouldnt have the issue...
2020-2-1
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Christian U Posted at 2-1 00:26
At least one is around. It took me 3 Threads to find the latest Posting from DJI Stephen from yesterday evening...

Dji has closed until 10th Feb, possibly even longer due the ever escalating virus outbreak in China.  
2020-2-1
Use props
Miixxa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280682 ft
Finland

Christian U Posted at 2-1 00:28
I understand that it yould have an effect. Try to make it the other way around, try to reproduce the issue yourself i have given detailed instructions how i reproduce it. If its prop relatet you shouldnt have the issue...

Then try it to eliminate the possibility of bad props. It's a 1min job and totally free if you have the FMCombo so I don't get why you're so reluctant to try it?

And I'm well aware of the barometric interference "drops" that can happen in S-mode, but for my experience those drops won't bring the craft to the ground unless it's already at low height and pilot doesn't react. Usually these situations can be recovered by applying throttle. There's plenty of threads here discussing this issue.

There's only two scenarios when I've suffered totally uncontrollable drops, where throttle inputs didn't save the craft from descending all the way to the ground, and those are:
1. Defective props
2. Iced up props
2020-2-1
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Christian U Posted at 2-1 00:26
At least one is around. It took me 3 Threads to find the latest Posting from DJI Stephen from yesterday evening...

You're right, but usually, answers we got on the forum from them are pre-formated and they dont give us informations from developers about resolving issues status...
2020-2-1
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

Yeah but thats also the half-true. Sometimes on issues they tell "we have forwarded your compalins to the department..." But when you isolate an issue and research to that this simply dont happen.

Its a bit anoying that DJI dont support customers that spend there time to help find issues and want to make products better.

Dont understand me wrong, DJI does make the best drones around.
And i absoulutly loge the Mini, its the best combination of Weigt, Camera features and Travel drone.

But it has to be reliable.
And i think it would be great in our times to not just sell all 2 Years another Hardware plattform but support (surely against money) all Plattforms released also with new Features.
DJI could easyly add Features like More Camera Settings,White balance switch, Active Track, more Quickshots and so on with in-app Payments or License codes  to even make the Mini much better. And gain also Money without adding such features on Mini 2,3,4.

2020-2-1
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

Tervist Posted at 1-29 08:41
My app opens with the launch screen and I saw the firmware update message there and went ahead and updated. Would you know how I can verify if my batteries are in sync with the firmware?

Turn off camera view in the setting page. So, when you switch on AC and RC you should read the battery update message.
2020-2-1
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

Miixxa Posted at 2-1 01:02
Then try it to eliminate the possibility of bad props. It's a 1min job and totally free if you have the FMCombo so I don't get why you're so reluctant to try it?

And I'm well aware of the barometric interference "drops" that can happen in S-mode, but for my experience those drops won't bring the craft to the ground unless it's already at low height and pilot doesn't react. Usually these situations can be recovered by applying throttle. There's plenty of threads here discussing this issue.

You dont want to understand me.
Iam an test Engeneer, i dont modify things in tests when i dont have an real good these how it can affect the test. And here i dont see any problem with the props.
So the best way to confirm that it is an promlem with more than mine mini is to make the test procedure to another mini.

But ive got my old back today and luckyly i can test it myself.
2020-2-1
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

m80116 Posted at 1-31 12:00
Probably less environment specific that you think. Problem incidence reporting is quite consistent with a widespread behaviour, whether the user can tell it or not depends on many factors.

I suggest we keep complaining to DJI. As I was saying the random disconnect is far more disheartening for me.

Widespread is relative ... let's say there are 50 cases out of 100000. You read these 50 here (which seems a lot), but not the 99550, which have no problems.
Or...maybe...why not... the 50 really fly such unusual maneuvers in such unusual situations and conditions that they actually "provoke a bug" in the firmware that the other 99550 don't notice.

I am in software development and it is not uncommon for bugs to occur only under certain conditions that a user does not notice during normal use.
2020-2-1
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Yeah... exactly proving my point: exception not showing up is no good testimony of the problem inexistence, rather latent presence in a software and logics dominated control.

Besides I don't like the attitude of blaming the customer to cover up product deficiencies... German car makers anyone ? I worked for decades against the German triad of automakers to expose their fallacy and perfectly replicable mass engineering shortcomings that they use to turn against their customers with the excuse of 1 out of 1000, so I definitely know what I am talking about.
2020-2-1
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

let's say there are 50 cases out of 100000
These issue happens after flying long time in sport mode, so its not seen soo often in the wild.
But iam pretty sure now all minis have it.

Ive get an replacement for my old mini today, and just had the chance to fly 15mins couse it rains.
But i can confirm that also this mini has bothe issues. The drop issue AND the rotating issue.
2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Christian U Posted at 2-1 01:12
Yeah but thats also the half-true. Sometimes on issues they tell "we have forwarded your compalins to the department..." But when you isolate an issue and research to that this simply dont happen.

Its a bit anoying that DJI dont support customers that spend there time to help find issues and want to make products better.

I always wonder about that pay for features, you say people would pay for AT, and I’m sure some would but my guess is not many, I don’t know how many use AT but if I try to find this I would go to videos forum here and I would say you’d find it hard to find 5 videos on show using AT over the course of a 12 month period, yes this is not scientific, but I can go there and find out how many taking photos how many filming video, how many using 4K slo mo etc.
So I think AT is something we want because it’s not there and we think it would be great if we had it, but will it be used (I don’t think so) I think those serious about AT don’t buy mini.
Just my thought .
2020-2-1
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2-1 12:14
I always wonder about that pay for features, you say people would pay for AT, and I’m sure some would but my guess is not many, I don’t know how many use AT but if I try to find this I would go to videos forum here and I would say you’d find it hard to find 5 videos on show using AT over the course of a 12 month period, yes this is not scientific, but I can go there and find out how many taking photos how many filming video, how many using 4K slo mo etc.
So I think AT is something we want because it’s not there and we think it would be great if we had it, but will it be used (I don’t think so) I think those serious about AT don’t buy mini.
Just my thought .

I dont really miss it on mini cause after some training you can fly good enougth to make it yourself.
I would buy it anyway. Just to be able to concentrate more on flying and know that the filming subject is hold better in center than i could.

And i think a lot of people would buy it. And even the ability to upgrade Features like Active Track 3.0 or so would people cause to buy even the same feature twice.

Can we make Sourveys ? I would really like to know if people woule pay 20 $ for Active Track on Mini
Edit: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=208241

2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Christian U Posted at 2-1 12:30
I dont really miss it on mini cause after some training you can fly good enougth to make it yourself.
I would buy it anyway. Just to be able to concentrate more on flying and know that the filming subject is hold better in center than i could.

You could make a poll but I don’t think it would give correct answers and I’m certain dji will not be selling any software, I also think that AT will not come to any drone that doesn’t have OA, Usually dji will apply new features pretty soon after release time is moving on now so I’m not sure if any features will come hopefully but I’m no5 counting on that.
I wished for nothing else except more manual controls on camera, but I can manage without .
2020-2-1
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2-1 12:41
You could make a poll but I don’t think it would give correct answers and I’m certain dji will not be selling any software, I also think that AT will not come to any drone that doesn’t have OA, Usually dji will apply new features pretty soon after release time is moving on now so I’m not sure if any features will come hopefully but I’m no5 counting on that.
I wished for nothing else except more manual controls on camera, but I can manage without .

The OA discusstion is nonsense for me.
The Spark OA was really bad and only to front and it had Active Track.
Also it would be possible to allow an "Active Follow" mode without moving the drone just keep the subject in Frame. Then it makes no difference if there are OA Sensors or not.
2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Christian U Posted at 2-1 12:43
The OA discusstion is nonsense for me.
The Spark OA was really bad and only to front and it had Active Track.
Also it would be possible to allow an "Active Follow" mode without moving the drone just keep the subject in Frame. Then it makes no difference if there are OA Sensors or not.

That’s wrong, you only need front OA to keep subject from being hit, it doesn’t make a blind bit of a difference if drone gets damaged it’s the people that count.

I wonder if you had AT on your mini and you set it to track your teenager kid and he decided to run at the drone or if the drone ran at him would you be happy with dji if he got his face all cut up, remember it’s a bit of a past time for users to use AT to film their kids. With OA you have full protection of this so safety is a big sticking block here.
It doesn’t take much for Americans to slap a lawsuit on companies who neglect health and safety and I wouldn’t say Germans would be to slow coming forward to complain about the safety issues .
2020-2-1
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2-1 12:54
That’s wrong, you only need front OA to keep subject from being hit, it doesn’t make a blind bit of a difference if drone gets damaged it’s the people that count.

I wonder if you had AT on your mini and you set it to track your teenager kid and he decided to run at the drone or if the drone ran at him would you be happy with dji if he got his face all cut up, remember it’s a bit of a past time for users to use AT to film their kids. With OA you have full protection of this so safety is a big sticking block here.

OA on Spark was very slow. Iam unsure if it would be really helpful in the case you described. But ok i could understand the argument. I think with this Mindset every drone without OA is an risk.
In the Situation you described even an howering Mini is the same risk.
2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Christian U Posted at 2-1 13:26
OA on Spark was very slow. Iam unsure if it would be really helpful in the case you described. But ok i could understand the argument. I think with this Mindset every drone without OA is an risk.
In the Situation you described even an howering Mini is the same risk.

I own a spark it better than a Mavic pro which is good enough and better than phantom 4 which was djis first drone with OA , remember AT wasn’t to quick with spark.

This now for dji is about risk managing, do they need to take the risk for no gain, it just wouldn’t make sense.I hear a lot of people say that it's already in the craft I don't believe it is, we have some selfie modes but these are pre programmed AT is not, so maybe we get more selfie modes which are pretty useful .
2020-2-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

jonny007 Posted at 2-1 06:35
Widespread is relative ... let's say there are 50 cases out of 100000. You read these 50 here (which seems a lot), but not the 99550, which have no problems.
Or...maybe...why not... the 50 really fly such unusual maneuvers in such unusual situations and conditions that they actually "provoke a bug" in the firmware that the other 99550 don't notice.

"I am in software development and it is not uncommon for bugs to occur only under certain conditions that a user does not notice during normal use."

Computer system engineers can empathize with your pain!

2020-2-1
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Christian U Posted at 2-1 10:40
let's say there are 50 cases out of 100000
These issue happens after flying long time in sport mode, so its not seen soo often in the wild.
But iam pretty sure now all minis have it.

Ah ok, then, as suspected, it has been clarified ... a situation that most people don't get into cannot lead to an error (for them). Can you describe again in 2 sentences how you can provoke these issue, then I will also try my luck. ;-)
2020-2-2
Use props
djiuser_LGJjxXy8xGte
lvl.1
Flight distance : 76358 ft
United States

Same happened to me only not in sport mode.
2020-2-2
Use props
at2marty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 76358 ft
United States

I wanted to start a thread with my experience, but apparently I "don't have the authority".  I did experience a loss of altitude yesterday and crashed my mini.  Luckily I was able to find it using the "find my drone" function.
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Christian U Posted at 1-28 13:01
This was the first flight direct from the Bag of the Combo, the Props are absoulutly perfect.
I have tried to use DJI Assistent 2 on 2 Windows 10 Computers and on both it shows only "Waiting for backend..." yes i tried also with antivirus and firewall off...
Ill re-try this on another location. But it was on an field without telegraphic or power lines near.

You know a thought came to me earlier, when building quadcopters many moons ago , we discovered that if barometers in the IMU were not shielded correctly it caused craft to gain altitude and then to drop suddenly, I know some including myself have put this down to IMU getting cold and I have tested in -4 and my craft would rise 15 ft and then I would see sudden drops, so IMU maybe the problem or rather barometers which are used to maintain your altitude, just a thought .
2020-2-2
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

jonny007 Posted at 2-2 10:50
Ah ok, then, as suspected, it has been clarified ... a situation that most people don't get into cannot lead to an error (for them). Can you describe again in 2 sentences how you can provoke these issue, then I will also try my luck. ;-)

Sry,overseen the post.

Fly 100m straight forward at ~5-15m height in Sport Mode (Full Stick forward)
Then back Full stick Backward

Do this ~10-15mins

At minute ~12 your Mini can "drop" (looks like the automatic Landing)

thats how i can reproduce it on mine every time

In mode-P i seem to be save
2020-2-3
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Christian U Posted at 2-3 09:07
Sry,overseen the post.

Fly 100m straight forward at ~5-15m height in Sport Mode (Full Stick forward)

Oops, I would rather not try that, because that would be something that I will never fly in life, i.e. permanently in sport mode. A racing drone would be a better choice for this. I thought it would be much easier and, above all, quicker to provoke. Thanks anyway for the instructions.
2020-2-3
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

jonny007 Posted at 2-3 12:38
Oops, I would rather not try that, because that would be something that I will never fly in life, i.e. permanently in sport mode. A racing drone would be a better choice for this. I thought it would be much easier and, above all, quicker to provoke. Thanks anyway for the instructions.

This happend first to me after flying 15mins in Position mode and then 70m in Sport mode.
But ive managed to reproduce it every time in sport mode.
2020-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules