Crash Investigation
1137 21 2020-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sketchy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1505705 ft
Hong Kong

Attached is the link to the flight record off the DJI Go App of the last minute of my flight and crash yesterday. I was within line of sight yet not looking at the drone while shooting video.I had lost visual signal and couldn't reconnect. Can anyone give me an idea of what caused this crash?  Thanks in advance.   
2020-1-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

WE cant do much with that video. If you want us to look at your flight record, go to this link: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Upload your flight record, then come back and post a link to the resultant report.
2020-1-28
Use props
Sketchy
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Geebax Posted at 1-28 19:22
WE cant do much with that video. If you want us to look at your flight record, go to this link: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Upload your flight record, then come back and post a link to the resultant report.

2020-1-28
Use props
Sketchy
lvl.2
Hong Kong

2020-1-28
Use props
Sketchy
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Geebax Posted at 1-28 19:22

Strange as I see a video that it is linked to on a vimeo website
2020-1-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sketchy Posted at 1-28 19:30
Strange as I see a video that it is linked to on a vimeo website

Yes .. that's a video but it isn't showing your actual recorded flight data which is what's needed to investigate the incident.

Do what was suggested in post #2 if you want help
2020-1-28
Use props
Sketchy
lvl.2
Hong Kong

2020-1-28
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Starting at about the 9m36 mark in the logs, it looks like it fell out of the sky while still on.

At the 9m39.4 mark there is the following message:  "Motor is idling (lost or missing propeller).; GPS Position NoMatch"

I think you very likely had a prop failure based on what I see.  Or it could have been a bird strike...
2020-1-28
Use props
Sketchy
lvl.2
Hong Kong

KlooGee Posted at 1-28 20:13
Starting at about the 9m36 mark in the logs, it looks like it fell out of the sky while still on.

At the 9m39.4 mark there is the following message:  "Motor is idling (lost or missing propeller).; GPS Position NoMatch"

What could this be?
Do you think I could have had an impact with a bird?

Gimbal Motor Overloaded__Gimbal motor overloaded. Check whether gimbal clamp is removed.; GPS Position NoMatch
2020-1-28
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Actually, it very likely started before that, but definitely by the 9m36 mark, it started tumbling out of control.

At around the 9m21 mark, it was definitely experiencing some problems, throwing errors and bucking around doing some wild activities.

It lost signal for about 9 seconds and during that time lost over 230ft of altitude.

2020-1-28
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sketchy Posted at 1-28 20:20
What could this be?
Do you think I could have had an impact with a bird?

If you are talking about the message at the 9m31.9 mark, the whole drone was pitching and rolling violently at that time.  This would explain why the gimbal was experiencing problems.
2020-1-28
Use props
Sketchy
lvl.2
Hong Kong

KlooGee Posted at 1-28 20:23
If you are talking about the message at the 9m31.9 mark, the whole drone was pitching and rolling violently at that time.  This would explain why the gimbal was experiencing problems.

Yes that makes sense.  Do you think anything could have been done to prevent this from happening? The propellers were fairly new .
2020-1-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your problems start at 9:21.6 when the drone rolls over completely and starts to spin anti-clockwise and lose height.
At 9:22.1 signal is lost for 9 seconds and the drone falls 230 feet.
The Mavic is at 530 feet when signal is regained, but still spinning.
Without any stick input, the drone climbs (still spinning) to 554 feet at 9:35.6 and starts to tumble and lose height.
It falls tumbling and crashes at 9:49.6.

Falling and spinning ususlly means losing a prop or motor.
But the way that yours stabilised and climbed before falling again suggests a problem with its propulsion system that had one ESC "spluttering" and then giving up completely.
2020-1-28
Use props
Sketchy
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Labroides Posted at 1-28 21:48
Your problems start at 9:21.6 when the drone rolls over completely and starts to spin anti-clockwise and lose height.
At 9:22.1 signal is lost for 9 seconds and the drone falls 230 feet.
The Mavic is at 530 feet when signal is regained, but still spinning.

Thanks for the info. Time to buy a new drone.
2020-1-29
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

KlooGee Posted at 1-28 20:23

self explainer,  lost prop or damaged prop. that's what it looks like to me.
2020-1-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry to know about the incident with your DJI Mavic Pro. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ).  We have the professional team who would do their best to  assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution. Please note that the repair cost will depend on the said warranty period of the drone otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you.
2020-1-29
Use props
Dean01
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hi sketchy - sorry for yr loss - that really sucks. My analysis is similar to kloogee. it appears to me a prop came off. The 2 most likely causes are a. it came off on its own (considering the distance you had flown i doubt this was the cause) or b. it came off during a mid air collision with another flying object. An impact invariably throws up gimbal issues so i think it reinforces a mid air colission idea. There is little that can be done about unseen mid air obsticles - its just bad luck.
2020-1-29
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

Sketchy Posted at 1-29 05:33
Thanks for the info. Time to buy a new drone.

sorry for the lost of your drone,  I've been lucky, oh I did have crashes but fortunately I found it,  you will get better at it,  the flying I mean, went through a whole year and a half now without any mishaps,  I've learnt from my mistakes and that's a good thing.
2020-1-29
Use props
Sketchy
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-29 10:17
Hi. I am sorry to know about the incident with your DJI Mavic Pro. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ).  We have the professional team who would do their best to  assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution. Please note that the repair cost will depend on the said warranty period of the drone otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you.

Thanks for the offer but the warranty was long since expired and all that was left is a mangled camera and battery as it crashed on a road and was probably run over a hundred times before I got there. When is the Mavic 3 coming out?
2020-1-29
Use props
Sketchy
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-29 17:11
sorry for the lost of your drone,  I've been lucky, oh I did have crashes but fortunately I found it,  you will get better at it,  the flying I mean, went through a whole year and a half now without any mishaps,  I've learnt from my mistakes and that's a good thing.

Thanks Jack. It was bound to happen at some point. I have been flying for close to 5 years now without a crash. With all the city flying I do with heavy interference I expected that would be the place to go down. Flying from on top a hill with open line of sight was the last place I would think it would crash. I was expecting to lose signal and the drone would RTH.  
2020-1-29
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

Sketchy Posted at 1-29 19:20
Thanks Jack. It was bound to happen at some point. I have been flying for close to 5 years now without a crash. With all the city flying I do with heavy interference I expected that would be the place to go down. Flying from on top a hill with open line of sight was the last place I would think it would crash. I was expecting to lose signal and the drone would RTH.

hey it happens,  the thing I worry about is that if I ever lose my MP then that will be the end,  I don't think my wife would allow me to get another one lol.
2020-1-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sketchy Posted at 1-29 19:11
Thanks for the offer but the warranty was long since expired and all that was left is a mangled camera and battery as it crashed on a road and was probably run over a hundred times before I got there. When is the Mavic 3 coming out?

Hi. I am sorry to know what happened to the your drone. With regards to the query for new products, as of the moment we don't have any information regarding DJI's future products or features that would be released by DJI in the future. Please stay tuned to the latest news, updates and events by subscribing to the DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI, Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your support.
2020-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules