If you're holding out for a Vmate, you can forget it for the next...
5003 30 2020-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

For those that think the Vmate will be better than the Pocket. You can pretty much forget it, at least for the next few months.
I got my Vamte yesterday and start playing around with it and there are quite a few problem. Some of them maybe adressable in future firmware but some maybe hardware related. Here's my initial results.

My unit at least booted up fine compare to a lot of reports of DOA or unit with other defects. But I had problem getting it to detect the SD card (a Samsung U3 that I used with no problem on the Pocket). I ended up trying to formated it again on a PC, then format it again through their app and eventually is was detected and seems to work.

I shot a couple of clips in my office. It seems the exposure measurement is a lot more center weighted than the OP which leads to extreme change in exposure when you pan and bright or dark opject gets to the center of the screen. Focus was also very slow. I did an initial shot in the office where I did a 360 but I can't post that as it has my co-workers was in them. I then shot a shorter clip where the focus speed is a bit better and then I did a shot from the OP. You can see the shorter clips here:

This is from OP:

Then this is from the Vmate:

I then went for some outdoor shots on the way home. 1st try failed with the gimbal going 45 degree on it's own, recenter did not work and I have to shutdown and restart. Here's the shot:

2nd try seems to work only that it seems the gimbal was not stabilizing at all when I watch the result upon returning home. I booted the unit back up at home and stabilization seems to be working again. Here's the 2nd try :

Heres the shot from the OP at the same location:

I would say the the Vmate is nowhere near ready for prime time at this moment. Some of the issue may be fixable in future firmware but I would hold off a few months and see how things turn out first.
2020-1-29
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Osmo Pocket footage looks way better.. I'm pretty sure you've been sold w/ a presentation that doesn't match its promises.  This is why I just like to compare the actual results instead of the presentation itself.  Some can make their presentations look incredible, blowing everything out of the water but when the real product rolls out, it sucks.  The Skydio 2 100% lives up to what it promised in the presentation video and beyond.
2020-1-29
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-29 19:24
The Osmo Pocket footage looks way better.. I'm pretty sure you've been sold w/ a presentation that doesn't match its promises.  This is why I just like to compare the actual results instead of the presentation itself.  Some can make their presentations look incredible, blowing everything out of the water but when the real product rolls out, it sucks.  The Skydio 2 100% lives up to what it promised in the presentation video and beyond.

Nah, I knew going in that this may have problem since while Snoppa have experience with gimbal, this is their first camera product. Even DJI with all their experience with the drone camera still took quite a few updates to get the Pocket to the current states. I doubt that Snoppa would hit anywhere close to 100% at launch but I would expect at least close to the OP at launch. I actually bought the snoppa to give DJI a kick to get moving on an improved Pocket.
2020-1-29
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 1-29 19:37
Nah, I knew going in that this may have problem since while Snoppa have experience with gimbal, this is their first camera product. Even DJI with all their experience with the drone camera still took quite a few updates to get the Pocket to the current states. I doubt that Snoppa would hit anywhere close to 100% at launch but I would expect at least close to the OP at launch. I actually bought the snoppa to give DJI a kick to get moving on an improved Pocket.

It shows that DJI doesn't need to make a better Osmo Pocket w/ your #1 post.  I was looking at footages to match the M2P that I've made in autumn and couldn't find any.  If people really compare, the M2P is better unless we are talking about Skydio 2 tight OA of course, that is completely 800% next level.

Someone put an anamorphic lens on which made the image quality even higher.

If you look at how the multi-metering is with the Osmo, it blows the Snoppa out of the water.  People think tech is nearly identical when doing certain test but deep down, they are engineered completely different unless your settings are suboptimal.
2020-1-29
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-29 19:40
It shows that DJI doesn't need to make a better Osmo Pocket w/ your #1 post.  I was looking at footages to match the M2P that I've made in autumn and couldn't find any.  If people really compare, the M2P is better unless we are talking about Skydio 2 tight OA of course, that is completely 800% next level.
Someone put an anamorphic lens on which made the image quality even higher.

not really looking at the snoppa for camera performance. Was hoping the DJI will get moving to incorporate built in wifi & BT as Snoppa prove that it can be done and still fit inside a similar package size.
2020-1-29
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 1-29 19:44
not really looking at the snoppa for camera performance. Was hoping the DJI will get moving to incorporate built in wifi & BT as Snoppa prove that it can be done and still fit inside a similar package size.

Maybe you got a knockoff.. maybe you got ripped off.

DJI was the platform they were using to make movies back then.  I'm not sure if the movie creators went Alta instead but it seems so as it can carry the RED which is the best video camera in the world.

They derived what it takes to make things look cinematic in normal mode.  This is hard to accomplish which is why I went w/ DJI.  Test comparing w/o a deeper understanding of what has been made would make things incomplete.  Certain motions can be impossible to replicate w/ something else.  It's like, NBA players, PGA/LPGA, etc. doing things perfectly though many people can look nearly the same as them but not as good because that slight difference has been developed correctly and this is how I feel what DJI has done w/ their products.
2020-1-29
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-29 19:44
Maybe you got a knockoff.. maybe you got ripped off.

Doubt it's a knockoff as this is the backer's shipment and the amount I spent on the snoppa is peanuts compare to my other toys  
2020-1-29
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 1-29 19:47
Doubt it's a knockoff as this is the backer's shipment and the amount I spent on the snoppa is peanuts compare to my other toys

I'm not sure why you even bother investing in peanut costing toys in the first place.
2020-1-29
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-29 19:49
I'm not sure why you even bother investing in peanut costing toys in the first place.

As I said, It's to provide competition to give DJI a kick in producing a Pocket 2. P.S. this is the other toy I received on the same day the Vmate arrive.  

It only cost 6 times more than the Vmate
2020-1-29
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 1-29 19:53
As I said, It's to provide competition to give DJI a kick in producing a Pocket 2. P.S. this is the other toy I received on the same day the Vmate arrive.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnIKjdjOCDQ

Is that an automatic filming robot?
2020-1-29
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-29 19:57
Is that an automatic filming robot?

nah it's just a toy robot comprising over 2000 parts. It'll probably sit in the box for another 6 months till the optional accessories are produced (which will only cost me another $6-700). Then I have to have someone make a display case for all of them so it won't get covered in dust over time.
2020-1-29
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 1-29 20:06
nah it's just a toy robot comprising over 2000 parts. It'll probably sit in the box for another 6 months till the optional accessories are produced (which will only cost me another $6-700). Then I have to have someone make a display case for all of them so it won't get covered in dust over time.

It would be cool if it can do things than just be a static toy.
2020-1-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hi Wiz.

Thank you for this. I'll admit I was interested in this product but very wary due to the lack of any real  footage shot by it before release. I did notice in the spec section that it's recording bit rate is almost double that of the Osmo Pockets so it's no wonder you are having problems with the card.

I'll be honest and say I hate everything I see from your demo clips. From exposure and focus to gimbal movement and sound. If you have yours then some of the YouTube influencers that got per-production copies should also have received theirs so I'm going to have a look at their channels to see if they have posted anything yet. I'm not even happy with what I've seen from the Go-Pro 8 so far. Apart from the colour of the 8, which is good the rest of its output is still making the Osmo Pocket look good.

Thank you for sharing this so soon.  It's an eye opener.

Ray.
2020-1-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I prefer the Osmo footage.
2020-1-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hi Wiz.
Well, I can't find any YouTube videos newer than your ones but I did find yet another Osmo Pocket contender

But don't get your hopes up as I don't think this one is out yet. Also DJI should think of suing them for fraudulent Osmo Pocket footage. I've never had results as bad as those shown in their comparison shots. There are also other FIMI PALM videos out there on YouTube. Look for wonky horizons. I think DJI are safe for now.

2020-1-30
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-30 01:52
I prefer the Osmo footage.

Turns out the color temp was default to the lowest setting (2500K). This is not something you can see in the standalone mode (which I was using). I connect to the Vmate via the phone app last night and after fiddling for a bit. I found the ISO/Color Temp setting page and the color temp was at 2500K, I've changed it to "Auto". I'll do more test later and see.
2020-1-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Do you mind telling how much you paid for this, I seen it advertised for almost 1000 euro which is unbelievable high and from what I see not to much to write home about, I think we might see dji come out with a similar package to insta 360 with cameras that can change and including a 360 and a 1” sensor and I can see this package being available for a Mavic 3 , so I’ll definitely be keeping my money .
2020-1-30
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-30 11:12
Do you mind telling how much you paid for this, I seen it advertised for almost 1000 euro which is unbelievable high and from what I see not to much to write home about, I think we might see dji come out with a similar package to insta 360 with cameras that can change and including a 360 and a 1” sensor and I can see this package being available for a Mavic 3 , so I’ll definitely be keeping my money .

it's been awhile but I got in on the early backer level so I paid either US$159 or at most US$189 for mine, You can order one for US$300 even now directly on the Indiegogo page for March shipment.
2020-1-30
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Snoppa finally posted updates on the indiegogo page. New firmware coming ~Feb 4th and should address the following:

Currently there’re some typical issues which we will fix soon by new firmware, like:

1. Halo/scan line on touch screen.

Normally happens after charging. When the Vmate is charging, the screen is also turned to working status (though the light is off), which causes this issue. So we need to reset the screen when it is in charging status by software update.

2. Can’t record, or cannot stop recording.

Can’t start recording? you will need to format the sd card in the app or Vmate.

Cannot stop recording? Normally caused by the software’s wrong detection of the SD card. It will be solved by updating a new firmware. (Users also can try to change another kind of sd card)

3. failure of focusing

Currently the Vmate’s focusing position is fixed in the middle of the frame. But we need to focus by searching the whole frame. This issue is already fixed and will be included in our next firmware update.

4. Exposure measurement/color temperature

Similar like the focusing issue above. Will be fixed soon.

All of the above belongs to software issues that will be fixed soon, instead of hardware problems. So please be patient and wait for your incoming firmware updates. We plan to release a new firmware on Feb. 4th, solving some main issues first, and we will continue to update.

In February we will also finish some software items including:

a. Transfer media files from Vmate to the computer by TypeC Cable.

b. Geographic position record.

c. RTSP live streaming.

d. Improved image calibration

e. Bluetooth microphone

f. Log mode/Flat mode

g. H.265 encoding

h. Improved power management.
Guess we'll see how much improvements comes with the new firmware in a few days.
2020-1-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wiz33 Posted at 1-30 11:20
it's been awhile but I got in on the early backer level so I paid either US$159 or at most US$189 for mine, You can order one for US$300 even now directly on the Indiegogo page for March shipment.

Ah ok that sounds about right, but I’m gonna wait, I think we might see some good stuff coming out of dji this year .
2020-1-30
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-30 11:23
Ah ok that sounds about right, but I’m gonna wait, I think we might see some good stuff coming out of dji this year .

Yea, I would wait too. You got enough toys to last you a while
2020-1-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wiz33 Posted at 1-30 11:24
Yea, I would wait too. You got enough toys to last you a while

I suppose, my biggest problem with the toys is if I drop dead my wife will sell them for the prices I told her I bought them for ;+)::::::
2020-1-30
Use props
AlexSav
lvl.2

Canada

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-30 02:29
Hi Wiz.
Well, I can't find any YouTube videos newer than your ones but I did find yet another Osmo Pocket contender
A plenty now for Fimi Palm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps-H_SkR8nE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUo2EwegwA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWat_PBp3Z0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBdd1Ym2Us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIkMozJMG24
2020-1-30
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cool, Looks like Tide got his and I trust his reviews on here. So, it's basically another not ready for prime time product. It seems everyone was trying to rush some product out before Chinese New Year and they are all now waiting for new firmware and fixes.

2020-1-30
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-30 11:27
I suppose, my biggest problem with the toys is if I drop dead my wife will sell them for the prices I told her I bought them for ;+)::::::

LOL. Give her my contact info. I'll gladly take all your toys at those prices
2020-1-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting comparison!
2020-1-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I've actually pre-ordered the Palm, for April delivery.  You may see my comments under the name Peter Nicholls in many of the Palm user videos on YouTube.  (I made that name up, it's not my real name.  At all.  Honestly). Why?  Well, it seemed at least to have a chance of being usable down the track, primarily as a wide angle alternative to the Pocket in situations where that might be desirable.  Also, it has a number of well-thought-through features which are attractive (but not necessarily working as intended!)  However, there are a range of issues some of which may be fixed in firmware or app updates (sloping horizons, odd colours, etc) and some which won't (creaking body and joystick).  One reason it's cheaper than the Pocket (apart from the natural way the prices for tech stuff tend to go down over time) is that it's fixed focus, and that must save a fair bit of hardware and firmware cost.  I have a pathetic trust that Fimi will fix some of the obvious hardware issues in later production runs - especially the batch I'm getting one from.

As I just said in another thread, I think there's space in the market for a number of variants on the Pocket theme, same way as there are all sorts of DSLRs which follow a broadly similar form factor but which address a variety of budgets and use cases.
2020-1-31
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I know there's a Virus outbreak so it was not a surprise that the Feb 4th update did not show up but I was hoping for at least an update on their Indiegogo page or Facebook group.
2020-2-4
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Thanks Wiz for shining some light on the Vmate.
I was wondering people's initial reaction about this product.

So this one also needs some firmware updates before ready for the start line.
At least Snoppa react to their backer and announced next update schedule.
Fimi is currently in silent mode.

Seems the first firmware has many issues to sort it out but from your video, dynamic range seems promising.
2020-2-4
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tide Posted at 2-4 14:31
Thanks Wiz for shining some light on the Vmate.
I was wondering people's initial reaction about this product.

New firmware version released on Feb 6th. Indoor test. Focusing is still slow and you see a lot of bumping and lost of focus as you pan around. Color temp seems to be working now and exposure measurement is much less center weighted. Will do outdoor test this afternoon. I would say this is a promising update except for the focus issue (which the Pocket also did at launch be to a lesser extend). Let's hope they concentrate on improving the focus in low light/inddor for their next update.

2020-2-6
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Outdoor focus is much better than indoor but still have pulsing and lost of focus. Color temperature (though still seems a bit off compared to OP) and exposure measurement also improved. Now need improvement to focusing.

2020-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules