Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eric Bartolo
First Officer
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Hi all,

I want to get into FPV flying so I just bought the taranis x9 lite controller to use on a simulator. If I'd like to buy an FPV pre-built unit along with the DJI FPV unit - would I be able to pair the goggles along with taranis x9 lite? What are the major cons of doing this instead of buying the DJI controller?

Thinking of buying the iFlight BumbleBee CineWhoop 3 Inch which comes with a BNF-DJI option - what else would I need to buy?

Thanks in advance!

2020-1-30
Use props
Bol2riz
lvl.3

France

Hi,

Indeed you can use another radio. There is no CONS by doing so

You'll just need to have the rx for it attached to your FC.

Best
2020-1-30
Use props
Eric Bartolo
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

Bol2riz Posted at 1-30 04:21
Hi,

Indeed you can use another radio. There is no CONS by doing so

Thankss!!! Any idea which rx I will need for the Taranis X9 lite?
2020-1-30
Use props
Bol2riz
lvl.3

France

Eric Bartolo Posted at 1-30 04:41

Nope sorry
2020-1-30
Use props
CJW1964
lvl.3
Flight distance : 912933 ft
United Kingdom

Eric Bartolo Posted at 1-30 04:41

ACCST D16 and ACCESS receivers
2020-1-30
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes you can use another transmitter, but I would not say there are no pros/cons to this. The receiver that use the built in module will not have as good of range as the DJI controller. If you were to get an R9 module, that would have better range. There is also the Crossfire module, but I am not sure you can get that to work with your newer Frsky controller Frsky has been making it more difficult to use third party modules. I am using the DJI remote because I like that I don’t have to deal with the extra receiver. The advantage of the extra receiver is that you could use telemetry to get flight data sent back to your transmitter. It’s a bit tricky to set up, but you can have audible prompts for low battery and low RSSI. You could also save the last GPS location to the transmitter if you were running GPS.
2020-1-31
Use props
Eric Bartolo
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

Tom_A Posted at 1-31 21:07
Yes you can use another transmitter, but I would not say there are no pros/cons to this. The receiver that use the built in module will not have as good of range as the DJI controller. If you were to get an R9 module, that would have better range. There is also the Crossfire module, but I am not sure you can get that to work with your newer Frsky controller Frsky has been making it more difficult to use third party modules. I am using the DJI remote because I like that I don’t have to deal with the extra receiver. The advantage of the extra receiver is that you could use telemetry to get flight data sent back to your transmitter. It’s a bit tricky to set up, but you can have audible prompts for low battery and low RSSI. You could also save the last GPS location to the transmitter if you were running GPS.

I a a totally newb to FPV as this is completely new to me and I received the radio a few days ago. Currently practicing on a simulator but I can wait to get my hands on a proper FPV quad once I get better at this. Will definitely look into R9 module, thanks for your help!!
2020-2-3
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The cons could be where the VTX signal stomps on the radio TX signal.
2020-2-3
Use props
Dikwad
New

Australia

To be really clear, you cannot bind an Frsky/Taranis with the DJI air unit (or the Caddx variant), nor are there any modules that Im aware of that will allow you to do so. If you want to use a Taranis, you'll either need to stick with Frsky receivers (using DJI for video link only), or use an alternative module like Cross fire or... R9... (shudders), though Id strongly advise against the latter. I personally fly all of my quads (old analoge builds and new digital builds) on crossfire.

A taranis is completely configurable but comes with a steep learning curve, where as the DJI remote much easier to pick up but is very limited. Using the DJI remote you're limited to fewer switches (meaning fewer modes during flight), you cant set up custom haptic/audio alterts/reports/alarms, custom arming modes, idle up etc.

Never in a million years will your 5.8Ghz Video link "Stomp" your 850 - 2.4Ghz tx link. The only Stomping that occurs with DJI in the mix is potentially stomping analogue pilots 5.8Ghz link - but even then it's relient on being on a nearby frequency (it is possible tofor pilots to fly analogue and digital simultaneously).

Hope that helps man, happy to lend a hand if you get stuck.
2020-7-17
Use props
mc54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

I flew a Taranis for 4 years and ditched it for the DJI controller.  The DJI controller lacks some exotic features of the Taranis, but overall, I've found it to be more hassle-free and I actually prefer the feel of its gimbals.  I always hated OpenTX (sorry, Joshua Bardwell). Range-wise, unless you are trying to go more than 6 miles out with your quad, I see no reason for a separate controller and a crossfire setup. It's just a lot more complexity that I'd rather not deal with.
2020-7-17
Use props
Eric Bartolo
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

mc54 Posted at 7-17 20:25
I flew a Taranis for 4 years and ditched it for the DJI controller.  The DJI controller lacks some exotic features of the Taranis, but overall, I've found it to be more hassle-free and I actually prefer the feel of its gimbals.  I always hated OpenTX (sorry, Joshua Bardwell). Range-wise, unless you are trying to go more than 6 miles out with your quad, I see no reason for a separate controller and a crossfire setup. It's just a lot more complexity that I'd rather not deal with.

just switched to the DJI FPV too with the whole kit...gotta say it's not the best range stock though as I've already lost signal a few times but overall super happy with the kit
2020-7-21
Use props
djiuser_Yd2XqFoFBw2w
New

India

This is a question.please if anybody know please recomment it.can I pair dji fly air unit with open tx which I am using radioking tx18s.
2020-12-1
Use props
Kreeze
lvl.4

United States

djiuser_Yd2XqFoFBw2w Posted at 12-1 07:40
This is a question.please if anybody know please recomment it.can I pair dji fly air unit with open tx which I am using radioking tx18s.

no. the receiver in the air unit only works with the dji fpv remote controller
2020-12-1
Use props
Panteliz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2261457 ft
Greece

hello, could I bind the Phantom 4 Pro controller with the Dji Air Unit and how?
2020-12-30
Use props
Kreeze
lvl.4

United States

Panteliz Posted at 12-30 03:14
hello, could I bind the Phantom 4 Pro controller with the Dji Air Unit and how?

you can't unfortunately
2020-12-30
Use props
Panteliz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2261457 ft
Greece

Kreeze Posted at 2020-12-30 15:22
you can't unfortunately

Thank you!
2021-1-5
Use props
Paul Crisafulli
lvl.1

United States

Can the DJI FPV drone from the combo be controlled by an aftermarket tx like the Tx16s?
2021-8-3
Use props
MarcelN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2307733 ft
Netherlands

Paul Crisafulli Posted at 8-3 17:50
Can the DJI FPV drone from the combo be controlled by an aftermarket tx like the Tx16s?

Wrong forum, this is fpv series. But NO that's not possible, only with the controller delivered with the drone.
2021-8-4
Use props
DavidChen111
New
United States

Dikwad Posted at 2020-7-17 19:57
To be really clear, you cannot bind an Frsky/Taranis with the DJI air unit (or the Caddx variant), nor are there any modules that Im aware of that will allow you to do so. If you want to use a Taranis, you'll either need to stick with Frsky receivers (using DJI for video link only), or use an alternative module like Cross fire or... R9... (shudders), though Id strongly advise against the latter. I personally fly all of my quads (old analoge builds and new digital builds) on crossfire.

A taranis is completely configurable but comes with a steep learning curve, where as the DJI remote much easier to pick up but is very limited. Using the DJI remote you're limited to fewer switches (meaning fewer modes during flight), you cant set up custom haptic/audio alterts/reports/alarms, custom arming modes, idle up etc.

I am new to FPV. Is an RX for the actual quad? Does that mean I have 2 receivers? How does that work? I am thinking of getting a Caddx Nebula Pro Vista Kit with a quad and want to use an X9 or maybe an x20
2022-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules