Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 folding props
1579 4 2020-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Byte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4654491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been thinking about getting some folding props for my Inspire 2 for a couple of reasons.
  • Quicker setup out of the case
  • Slight chance of recovery if a prop was to lightly clip something (eg a branch)

The second point is a bit of an odd one as I know it depends on what it hits. If it hits something that's relatively weak, then a rigid prop would likely be a better option to have as it would just cut through the obstacle (a think stick or something), wheras with a similar obstacle if I had folding props then it will cause them to fold, even a bit causing a temporary and potentially catastrophic loss of thrust on that side.

The counter point is, if it were to clip something that a rigid prop couldn't cut through, a rigid prop would break and you will be falling out of the sky. A falling prop could potentially just fold under the impact then spin back out again when free of the obstacle. Not guaranteed but there is a chance.

I'm weighing up the pros and cons of each and wondered what other peoples thoughts on them are and if there are any folding props you can recommend?

Thanks

2020-1-30
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

Xoar has the highest grade carbon fiber. And you can tell by looking and feeling it on touch.. I have inspire 1 raw with xoar prop which is the same grade and design as inspire 2 xoar. The folding mechanism likely helps with touch collisions.

I had a crash when hovering because I left it on its own basically without looking. As soon as I heard the loud bang from the prop I throttled down and it turned off.

Only one prop hit solid rock/cement but it only chipped the tips. So yeah even if birds come and bump on your xoar prop, it won't do much to the prop. While with the plastic prop, birdstrike can easily break your prop blade. I have seen the inspire 2 get bumped by a medium size bird and the i2 crashed hard.
2020-1-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best information for this inquiry. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-1-30
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Performance wise nothing beats a good and rigid propeller

You try to find a solution on the drone, but the problem actually sits behind the controller.
If you are scared to hit something with your propeller, then you should start thinking about flight practice, pre flight location checks, flight planing etc.
2020-2-5
Use props
FanOfFlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1983760 ft
Canada

Coyut Posted at 2-5 01:38
Performance wise nothing beats a good and rigid propeller

You try to find a solution on the drone, but the problem actually sits behind the controller.

I'm with you on this...  If you think folding props will get you out of a bind, you probably need more practice.  not to mention, I have flown back with props that have been lets say "shortened" in flight with little fuss.  I'm too concerned with doing quick moves to trust the folding ones on a drone this fast and with this mass.   

I'd be interested to know what draws people to the folding ones?  is it more than just storage/transport?  I like knowing that taking the props off and on, give me a chance to check for damage, loose parts etc.  I don't think I could give up that comfort of checking every time I put them on.
2020-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules