Is AirMap app about restricted areas accurate?
1916 4 2020-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
happyjack70
lvl.1

United States

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Have been reading others' wisdoms on here and I appreciate all your helpful advice.

Lately, have been travelling to California's deserts to try to film my mellow offroad driving with Active Track. Although I used the dji geomap to see areas that have flight restrictions, it wasn't accurate. Thus, during filming many warning signs appeared in yellow, saying Active Track has been disabled due to flight restrictions and such. In this first outing, I got at most 15 mins of recording of my driving.

In the following week, I went to another desert...again using geomap. This area is outside major MOAs and far off from the 5 mile radius of airports or first responder areas per FAA instructions. So I drove two hours to an area between Trona and Ridgecrest only to have active track disable itself again because it's in restricted airspace. The total amount of footage of me driving totaled less than 3 minutes, this with me having driven over two hours to my destination.

In both situations, active tracking would work for a few minutes before the disabling warning sign appears in that yellow rectangle box.

Frustrated, I came back and watched a variety of Youtube videos, a few of which touted AirMap's prowess and accuracy. Upon signing up for it, I looked a the California map and sure enough, those areas where my active track was disabled due to flight restrictions were identified in dark blue by AirMap.

Not one to give up, should I trust the AirMap and find those empty areas identified by the app and trust that if were to drive there, no more "Active Track is diabled because of flight restrictions..." etc would surface?

Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,

Jack
2020-1-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Jack. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. I hope that you will get the best recommendation and feedback from our valued DJI co pilots who uses the AirMap when flying there DJI Drones. Just a friendly reminder to use the DJI Flysafe to avoid any unwanted incident. As a DJI pilot, you are solely responsible for ensuring your flights are conducted safely and in accordance with all local laws and regulations. For reference I will post a link for the DJI Flysafe page. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2020-1-31
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Airmap is an official app sanctioned by the faa - if it says no flying then it is not allowed
2020-2-1
Use props
happyjack70
lvl.1

United States

dansmar Posted at 2-1 14:27
Airmap is an official app sanctioned by the faa - if it says no flying then it is not allowed

Thank you both for confirming this. I contacted AirMap and a tech got back to me confirming that the area of my next visit is indeed free of any restrictions whatsoever (Around the Bonnie Claire area in NV west of hwy 95). I also confirmed on geofence that this area is not restricted either, so I will give my spark another filming attempt.
2020-2-1
Use props
djiuser_F7KLkHphoNrB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10476 ft
United States

Hi,
I have some heartburn in that I can't use my craft in areas that DJI has deemed unusable. The map supplied in no way resembles the actual airspace.

As a second generation aviator, eminently qualified, let me assure you that I have never violated airspace nor will I put my certificates in jeopardy.

My question is: Can professional aviators at the highest levels obtainable, have our certificates reviewed (they are public record) and released from DJI constraints?

I will include two screenshots two show airspace (mostly Glass G) and DJI's interpretation. Ah.. Well I wanted to include the screenshot, but I can't get it to work!

Regards,
TCA-(that's also old airspace)
2020-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules