Compass question
2413 14 2020-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AE1M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1862884 ft
United States

[img=575,0]blob:https://forum.dji.com/98ee3954-0f44-4f34-89f9-9d09203a5688[/img]

since the iPad mini does not have a built in compass app which I assume DJI fly app relies on for this to wrok, is there any way to make this work?

2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You don’t need it to work, you can simply open map in lower left corner and check red triangle, this works directly with your craft, just check heading on this agains your craft heading and you will know compass is correct .
2020-2-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The aircraft has its own compass, some have two for redundancy, not sure about the Mini, though.
2020-2-1
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2-1 19:24
The aircraft has its own compass, some have two for redundancy, not sure about the Mini, though.

Yes but the DJI Fly app uses the compass app on the iphone for this icon to determine the Mini’s location in relation to you, this helps you face directly towards it for best signal to the mini.  Since the iPad mini does not have a compass app like the iphone, it seems that feature is not available to iPad mini users.
2020-2-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

AE1M Posted at 2-2 04:41
Yes but the DJI Fly app uses the compass app on the iphone for this icon to determine the Mini’s location in relation to you, this helps you face directly towards it for best signal to the mini.  Since the iPad mini does not have a compass app like the iphone, it seems that feature is not available to iPad mini users.

What you say is correct.

The aircraft position indicator gets the info from a mobile device.
Craft Relative postion is projected on the upper 180 scale, no mobile device compass = no indication.

But to make the pain lesser....often this indicator doesn`t work properly...depending on type of device.
In map view steer craft back on the home connecting line, that`s is another way to set heading towards home.
But i agree is it usefull to have it working, to point your RC to the craft. (having said that, flying in LOS you don`t need that, just joking)

cheers
JJB
2020-2-2
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I find the little map in the corner way more useful and since you can’t have both the map and the heading visible at the same time, it doesn’t really matter. Plus, the heading is incorrect so so many times, I just wouldn’t trust it for anything. LOS jokes aside, you should have a pretty good idea of the general direction in which you need to point the remote towards the drone....
2020-2-2
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 2-2 06:48
I find the little map in the corner way more useful and since you can’t have both the map and the heading visible at the same time, it doesn’t really matter. Plus, the heading is incorrect so so many times, I just wouldn’t trust it for anything. LOS jokes aside, you should have a pretty good idea of the general direction in which you need to point the remote towards the drone....

I use an iPad Mini or iPhone 7+ with no SIM card so since I have no internet and therefore position info, I do not get a map display.
2020-2-2
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes but the DJI Fly app uses the compass app on the iphone for this icon to determine the Mini’s location in relation to you, this helps you face directly towards it for best signal to the mini.  Since the iPad mini does not have a compass app like the iphone, it seems that feature is not available to iPad mini users.

I use Compass 55 app and a bad elf bluetooth GPS on my iPad series 5 wifi only.  Works great that way for use with DJI Fly app.
2020-2-2
Use props
Raymacke
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481995 ft
United States

I have an Ipad Mini 4 with NO additional compass app installed and the Aircraft Orientation indicator (center bottom of the screen) works just fine. Do you have the Location Service turned on for the Fly app? If not try that.   On the Ipad go to Settings. The on the left side scroll down until you see "DJI Fly".  Click on it. Then on the right press "Location". Then check "While Using App".

See if that helps.
2020-2-2
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
United States

Raymacke Posted at 2-2 20:08
I have an Ipad Mini 4 with NO additional compass app installed and the Aircraft Orientation indicator (center bottom of the screen) works just fine. Do you have the Location Service turned on for the Fly app? If not try that.   On the Ipad go to Settings. The on the left side scroll down until you see "DJI Fly".  Click on it. Then on the right press "Location". Then check "While Using App".

See if that helps.

even if location services are turned on on the ipad, how would it know which direction it is facing?  That comes from compass.   When standing still, GPS cannot know what direction you are facing.  
2020-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AE1M Posted at 2-3 04:03
even if location services are turned on on the ipad, how would it know which direction it is facing?  That comes from compass.   When standing still, GPS cannot know what direction you are facing.

I think you have ignored the best information, just use small red triangle it will show you which way the drone is facing it will show you at anytime a complete trace of your flight, I would hazard a guess that the vast bulk of users prefer to use map view to locate direction and position of their craft relative to homepoint.
What your looking for is first quite temperamental in many cases it’s impossible to calibrate both device and craft to match .
2020-2-3
Use props
Raymacke
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481995 ft
United States

AE1M Posted at 2-3 04:03
even if location services are turned on on the ipad, how would it know which direction it is facing?  That comes from compass.   When standing still, GPS cannot know what direction you are facing.

On my Mini Ipad 4 the Aircraft Orientation indicator WILL NOT WORK without the location service turned on in the Fly app. If I shut it off it stops. Turn it on it works perfectly. Don't know what else to say. It works for me without any additional compass app.

BTW - I do have a Mini that is wifi/cell and there is a sim card installed just to stop the notifications popping up but I have no cell plan. Also, the indicator doesn't work until I have a GPS lock so it is dependent on gps as well as a compass.
2020-2-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

If iPad mini does have a built-in compass, and all that is missing is Apple's compass App - you can get several different 3rd-Party compass Apps.
2020-2-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Looks to me like iPads have built-in compasses, they just don't have the app to access the hardware, as others have said. I took a look at the app store and there are many compass apps for iPads and none of them claim compatibility with specific models, so this leads me to believe all iPads have local compass capability.

I'd try turning on Location Services for DJI GO 4 as recommended by Raymacke and see what happens.
2020-2-3
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

Yes but the DJI Fly app uses the compass app on the iphone for this icon to determine the Mini’s location in relation to you, this helps you face directly towards it for best signal to the mini.  Since the iPad mini does not have a compass app like the iphone, it seems that feature is not available to iPad mini users.

This is an issue already discussed several times. RC device has some magnetic stuff in it which deviate the phone built-in compass.

To overcome the problem, you should install your phone within RC clamps and then proceed with phone compass calibration procedure. It should work  fine then.
2020-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules