Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What would You Pay for Active Track on Mini ?
123Next >
10553 94 2020-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-3 05:38
No new info on release of SDK on DJI GitHub.  Last comment by DJI Stephen was release in  Apr 2020.  

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=205755&pid=2051022

With spark it took almost a year, they are slow to release don’t know why but I’m sure they have their reasons, I have emailed Litchi and their response was (below) so I think they will get on board quickly as it’s pretty clear Mavic mini was a huge hit so would make perfect sense for them to develop app for mini.

Dji Mindy who is senior moderator here has also confirmed they will release.

2020-2-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-3 05:46
With spark it took almost a year, they are slow to release don’t know why but I’m sure they have their reasons, I have emailed Litchi and their response was (below) so I think they will get on board quickly as it’s pretty clear Mavic mini was a huge hit so would make perfect sense for them to develop app for mini.

Dji Mindy who is senior moderator here has also confirmed they will release.

Thanks hallmark007 for the information.  
2020-2-3
Use props
Studio66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21670 ft
Belgium

nothing, i dont need it
2020-2-3
Use props
lacibaci
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235682 ft
United States

Wouldn't pay anything. If I wanted AT, I would've gotten a different drone...
2020-2-3
Use props
Studio66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21670 ft
Belgium

for me the only thing i miss is while balance lock, or manual setting. when i bought it i knew the capabilities so i’m fine with that
2020-2-3
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Christian U Posted at 2-1 13:13
I also would like to see an "Active Follow" mode that dont moves the Drone. This would cover most cases where i would need an tracking.

Spotlight in MP, MP2 and MA
2020-2-3
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

Studio66 Posted at 2-3 11:49
for me the only thing i miss is while balance lock, or manual setting. when i bought it i knew the capabilities so i’m fine with that

That's exactly the difference. Everyone knew before buying that the mini has no AT, but it was not clear that various basic video and photo settings were missing. In my opinion, requesting this later is more than understandable, because these are really basic functions that every cheap action cam or every children's smartphone has. That is certainly not overcharged.
2020-2-3
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509577 ft
United Kingdom

I completely agree with jonny007. I was shocked that there are no manual video settings available.

For me the only reason why I picked mini over xiaomi x8 was because of the size. In 99% cases I only use my drone while travelling abroad, so I need something compact. The 249g weight saves me the stress of panicking over regulations / licenses. In majority of countries you can't register your drone unless you are a citizen, therefore almost all tourists end up breaking a law when travelling abroad with a drone.

Dji air and spark weren't good for me because of the battery life. I think what Dji will realise soon is that there is a massive market opportunity for those customers that want a light and portable drone with top camera features. Many mini owners aren't necessary "amatours" or casual drone users.
2020-2-3
Use props
tor2511
New

Canada

Just an active track within the quick shots would be ace. I never used it on my Mavic pro,  but with the quick shots being so freaking useful, to have just those few shots be able to track. If the dronie and helix could track a moving target it would be undoubtedly the best travel drone ever.
2020-2-5
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I voted I don't need it, because I don't need it.
2020-2-8
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

This drone is marketed as Spark replacement so Active Track should be included.
2020-2-9
Use props
djiuser_4IaqMqDP5EvA
New

China

Interesting topic.
I would not pay for it, but I admit it would be "very nice to have". Specially since already some limited tracking is used during the Quickshot modes.
The idea of the Active follow (while frozen) is also good.
I don't see the points in the arguments regarding US laws feasting from DJI if this feature is included in the mini. And I don't see the absolute need for OA. As stated by others, some of the Quickshot modes already pose risks if your circle happens to be too wide and too low and hit someone. And there are many other situations in which accidents can happen. Hitting the target because it stops and there is no OA...? And what about Attitude mode or Sports mode? The responsibility lies in the pilot, not the device or the manufacturer. Want a safe drone? Remove the propellers and the battery and keep it in the box!
I agree, the reason is more related to marketing than to safety. Need to wait for DJI official comments to be added
2020-2-12
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21814 ft
Turkey

Paying feature unlock for a drone that you have already bought is not sensible. It is like selling a game first then selling a premium again. Active track would be nice but not having any obstacle avoidance could be a issue here. However, DJI can make more money from broken MMs Anyhow, for me, the best feature can be added to MM would be creating a fly path and saving it for reuse.
2020-2-12
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189659 ft
Germany

1. everyone is writing that hes not willing to pay for Software features from an Smartphone, Tablet or PC...
2. That was not a question
3. nobody forces nobody to buy something

i think you guys living in an world thats gone. pure hardware products that you cannot add features or update things are gone.
2020-2-12
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

While I'd LOVE to see it, I don't hold much hope that DJI will make it an option, paid or free.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-2-14
Use props
Corger
lvl.4
United States

Christian U Posted at 2-12 13:52
1. everyone is writing that hes not willing to pay for Software features from an Smartphone, Tablet or PC...

I'm not sure what you mean by your statement numbered 2.  In your original post you wrote: "You can even write what you would like to have for other Features and how much you would like to pay for it."  I think that everyone is within his rights to write his opinion on the subjects here.

Of course not.  The problem is people will not buy the Mavic Mini once they have learned that it lacks basic features (active tracking, follow me, raw, white balance, etc, etc.)  DJI needs more sales, not less.   Having in app purchases is a step in the wrong direction.  What's next?  Loot box unlocking?  No thank you.

I like DJI, it makes great products, but it is not perfect.  Also, DJI does not exist in a bubble; competitors are making great improvements and packing features into their drones all for reasonable prices.  I hope DJI adds some missing functionality in the next Mavic Mini firmware update.

2020-2-15
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

A lot of strange answers here. The bottom line is if they add this feature, would you pay for it? I answered yes because I would want it.  If you don't want it then you don't pay. Anyone who could read the specs knew that it was not included at the original purchase price. This is nothing new here. Companies do that with their products all the time.
2020-2-15
Use props
Xyster101
lvl.1

United States

I would like the ability to AT a moving subject without moving the drone.  So you can be on the left of the screen and it follows you by rotating the drone only and moving the camera.   Picture moving towards the drone and it follows, then ends up aimed at the ground, rotates and then raises the gimble as you walk under it.
2020-2-16
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think that I would trust the MM with auto track.  I prefer that DJI concentrates on fixing the known problems and giving us some control of White Balance and Video Settings.
2020-2-18
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11119 ft
Switzerland

Hello
I'm sorry for being a little "hard"
This "DJi-Fly" software should already be better recognized by more smartphones running Android.
That's why I voted n ° 5
2020-2-19
Use props
BL44ZR
lvl.1
Australia

Yes I want it - I think it is an easy update as the MM already has advanced tracking. This is my 3rd drone and both the others had AT but were only a fraction of the price I paid for the MM. DJI should keep enhancing our experience because then we might want to level up to their more expensive offerings.
2020-2-19
Use props
Cryptic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1516709 ft
United States

I think that dji would not do that to us. They are not like EA (wink wink).
2020-2-20
Use props
Cryptic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1516709 ft
United States

Plus there are also many other cheaper drones that have a sort of active track.
2020-2-20
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

I absolutely don't care, I see videos made with Skydio2 on Instagram.
They are repetitive, no panorama but only user-centered.
I appreciate the sensors to avoid obstacles, but the price is much higher and, as already said, they do not sell beyond the US and Canada.
2020-4-8
Use props
Luca90
lvl.3
Flight distance : 429938 ft
Italy

No, I don't want to pay to purchase a feature.
I already paid the right price when i bought the Mini, and IMHO, this kind of practice (paying for unlocking features) can lead to a very bad market strategy, for buyers.
I don't want to see DLC here!
Anyway, I must agree with many users, AT without OA it's risky and for me is useless, but if in future DJI will add it, it'll be a good implementation.
2020-4-9
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Its niche...
2020-4-9
Use props
Crummett
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36929 ft
United Kingdom

Akirasho Posted at 2-1 14:55
legal....  without obstacle avoidance on the Mini. US Lawyers would FEAST!

You could argue the US isn’t the only country in the world...
2020-4-12
Use props
Replayman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45974 ft
Czechia

Mavic Air 2 will be active track 3.0, POI and will be use DJI FLY app. I except big update of DJI FLY app and we will can use all these features on Mavic Mini too.
2020-4-17
Use props
djiuser_hgkjXdwz9xV9
New

United States

I would pay for active track that includes obstacle avoidance. The lack of it is why I have not purchased a mini. They had it on the spark. Add it to something like a mini pro and tack on 100 usd or so.
2020-4-18
Use props
JTrottaNY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32795 ft
United States

Personally I would like to see it in use (proof of concept) before I put a value on it or considered purchasing as an upgrade.
2020-4-24
Use props
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145361 ft
Malaysia

Don't need follow me mode, just active track like how the OSMO Mobile does. Lock the camera on the subject while we fly the drone manually is good enough. Else allow follow me after we fly above certain altitude.
2020-4-24
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I would have already bought a mini if it had active track, there are tons of drones out there that have it without obstacle avoidance and it works fine even if the actual drone quality is not that of DJI.  Now if I want that quality I am stuck spending double the money to get that feature but lose the weight/size advantage.
2020-5-11
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 807116 ft
Poland

I honestly don't understand this logic of "can't have tracking without obstacle avoidance". You can already easily crash your drone using the quick-shots feature, which is fully automatic, semi-tracking and will happily fly the drone into a tree / wall if you're not careful.

Just put a big, fat, warning on the screen along the lines of "This drone cannot detect obstacles! Make sure the area is clear of before enabling active tracking!" or something and done.

If nothing else, the drone should at least offer a "stationary tracking", where it just hovers while tracking a target (automatic pitch / camera yaw and no movement) whilst being responsive to movement controls (where manual yaw is disabled / can break tracking).
2020-5-12
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

It's just an excuse... we'll never see active tracking from DJI, but at some point with SDK (when it will eventually be released) one might fashion something out of it.
2020-5-12
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14094 ft
Austria

MBender Posted at 5-12 02:26
I honestly don't understand this logic of "can't have tracking without obstacle avoidance". You can already easily crash your drone using the quick-shots feature, which is fully automatic, semi-tracking and will happily fly the drone into a tree / wall if you're not careful.

Just put a big, fat, warning on the screen along the lines of "This drone cannot detect obstacles! Make sure the area is clear of before enabling active tracking!" or something and done.

Yeah, make a "clear path active track" where it uses the cam, to detect things infron.  And if the drone detects something, it just stops.. No need for fancy fly around.

And the other thing you mentioned, is I think called the "spotlight" mode, which would be a really great feature.

I mean the Tello has 3rd party apps which have active track
Edit: And I missclicked when voting. Wanted 20$. 20-30$. So between Litchi app
2020-5-12
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 807116 ft
Poland

I just feel like adding - this feature isn't missing because the drone doesn't support it, or because it needs development time. The fact that quick shots have active tracking and can be used to active track (under certain conditions) proves it's already all there and DJI just disabled this so the drone doesn't compete with their other models.

As such if DJI were SELLING this as a feature it would be rather scummy, IMHO. What's next? Pay to fly higher than 100m?
And I do think the selling point of the Mini is the form factor (small and light). Active tracking wouldn't really make it that much more competitive vs other DJI models, especially with the fairly low-res camera (2K@30FPS or FHD@60FPS only).
2020-5-13
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124019 ft
Italy

I'm deeply against this "Tesla" or "premium gaming" way of making us pay for an update/upgrade, over and over.. and then, when you sell it, the new owner has to buy it again ^^ For me, it's a kind of thievery
Nonetheless, I hope Litchi will bring this AT/FM (after sdk release)
2020-5-13
Use props
Pashi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4862598 ft
  • >>>
Russia

I'm ready to pay 10-20 bucks for automatic panorama shooting like in DJI Spark and Mavic Pro and for Course Lock. This is all I need.
2020-5-13
Use props
GregT.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 445971 ft
Netherlands

I would be willing to pay up to $50 but than they would also need to add:
- Activetrack
- Spotlight
- Waypoints
- RAW support for photography
- A flat video profile
- Panoramashooting
2020-5-13
Use props
GregT.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 445971 ft
Netherlands

WrongWay Feldman Posted at 2-2 10:50
I had the option to pay for it when I decided to buy a drone, I decided I didn't need it so I bought the less expensive Mini.

And because YOU don't need it means nobody should be able to get it...
2020-5-14
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules