What would You Pay for Active Track on Mini ?
123Next >
10593 94 2020-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Christian U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189659 ft
Germany

Imagine DJI would add in-app-payments for the DJI Fly App.
And would sell Active Track at an Option.
You can even write what you would like to have for other Features and how much you would like to pay for it.

I think thats our best Chance to get new Features added to the Mini after Release.

Single SelectVote, Total 230 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m sorry Christian I have AT on 5 of my drones and seldom use it, I think if you added AT3 you might get more who would pay, then mini would be the first drone to have AT3, good luck with the poll .
2020-2-1
Use props
Debugger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4865846 ft
  • >>>
Greece

I don't need it, but even if I need it I wouldn't trust AT on MM with no obstacle avoidance. Actually I wouldn't pay DJI for an obstacle avoidance system less than a SKYDIO 2 like.
2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Debugger Posted at 2-1 12:52
I don't need it, but even if I need it I wouldn't trust AT on MM with no obstacle avoidance. Actually I wouldn't pay DJI for an obstacle avoidance system less than a SKYDIO 2 like.

You’d be right and dji is well aware of this and the potential law suits that would follow if and when accidents occur so that’s why we will never see it on mini .
2020-2-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Christian U. Thank you for creating this poll and thank you for reaching out. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI Forum members on there insight with regards to this matter. Thank you for your support.
2020-2-1
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

I also would like to see an "Active Follow" mode that dont moves the Drone. This would cover most cases where i would need an tracking.
2020-2-1
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

Debugger Posted at 2-1 12:52
I don't need it, but even if I need it I wouldn't trust AT on MM with no obstacle avoidance. Actually I wouldn't pay DJI for an obstacle avoidance system less than a SKYDIO 2 like.

The Skydio 2 Tracking shows good that an Active Track that moves the AC produces bad Footage. The Movement of the Skydio looks always bad. Its technically impressive,sure but what counts is the usable footage after all.
2020-2-1
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

legal....  without obstacle avoidance on the Mini. US Lawyers would FEAST!
2020-2-1
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

On the spark, OA with AT was next to useless....so for me I don’t think they are related.

I’d love to have AT on the mini, but wouldn’t pay for it.   It’s a software fix that is available on all other DJI drones so I think it should, and hopefully will be included for free in a future update.
2020-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cookster670 Posted at 2-1 14:57
On the spark, OA with AT was next to useless....so for me I don’t think they are related.

I’d love to have AT on the mini, but wouldn’t pay for it.   It’s a software fix that is available on all other DJI drones so I think it should, and hopefully will be included for free in a future update.

It worked for some .

2020-2-1
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1104163 ft
  • >>>
United States

Akirasho Posted at 2-1 14:55
legal....  without obstacle avoidance on the Mini. US Lawyers would FEAST!

Every Parrot has Active Track type feature without any sensors. I have an Air and Mavic Pro that either don't have side, top or rear sensors. My Mavic 2 turns them off at faster speeds so this was never a good argument point.
2020-2-1
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I never liked the pay for features. Had Parrot Bebop and had to pay extra. Then when I purchased the Anafi I found out it uses a different app and purchases did not transfer. Go, Go4 Fly and Pilot so it could add up.
2020-2-1
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Christian U Posted at 2-1 13:16
The Skydio 2 Tracking shows good that an Active Track that moves the AC produces bad Footage. The Movement of the Skydio looks always bad. Its technically impressive,sure but what counts is the usable footage after all.

Not exactly true. I am getting very good footage with the R2. Its not like you use one continuous shot.  Even with my M2P I have to cut and edit to make the footage look they way I want.
2020-2-1
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

I'd probably like AT, but, don't think I'd want to pay for it. Thing is, I knew that the MM hasn't got it BEFORE I bought it, neither has it got RAW or any other features some people are asking for. If you want it that badly, why not buy a drone that has already got it? Don't get me wrong here, I'd like a drone I can fly in blizzards, rain and hurricanes, just haven't got enough money
2020-2-1
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

Shantok Posted at 2-1 15:47
Every Parrot has Active Track type feature without any sensors. I have an Air and Mavic Pro that either don't have side, top or rear sensors. My Mavic 2 turns them off at faster speeds so this was never a good argument point.

a "good" argument point won't stop a US Pitbull.  DJI's name and size is more appetizing than Parrot...
2020-2-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Akirasho Posted at 2-1 17:13
a "good" argument point won't stop a US Pitbull.  DJI's name and size is more appetizing than Parrot...

No, never let the fact that the aircraft was neither advertised or sold with any promise to implement AT stop your 'pit bull'. What are you going to do? Sue DJI for not providing something they never promised?
2020-2-1
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Akirasho Posted at 2-1 17:13

I guess it can't hit anything while in dronie, circle or one of the modes it came with..
2020-2-1
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-1 17:44
You already have the option to pay more for Active Track.  It's called "Buy a Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, or Mavic 2".  One time upgrade fee & it's yours forever!

I am sorry to expect more. When the Air cam out it had a higher bit rate, more sensors and other modes over the Mavic Pro. We all know it can be an awesome travel drone. I had purchased an air about a year ago and took it to Europe. I hated flying it. Loud, felt less stable, short range and short battery life. A year later I purchased another hoping it was a bad copy for the range and stability.  Probably more perception of the high pitch change. I don't want to take my M2P or M2Z to Mexico so the Mini would go. Its quiet, great range, and flies almost as good as the original Mavic. I would just like a few more modes. Will it stop me or anyone else from buying a M3 or Air 2 no because they should have some new game changing features. 1" sensor with zoom, 8k or something we haven't thought about yet. The Osmo Pocket had tracking added after launch. So if people don't suggest new features we have no way of getting them.
2020-2-1
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-1 17:44
You already have the option to pay more for Active Track.  It's called "Buy a Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, or Mavic 2".  One time upgrade fee & it's yours forever!

Yeah and how do i get them to weight <250g ?
Middle of the Year we have here new drone regulations where Mavic Pro meight be slight into an very height category.
Also i like the travel size of the mini.
2020-2-1
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Christian U Posted at 2-1 13:13
I also would like to see an "Active Follow" mode that dont moves the Drone. This would cover most cases where i would need an tracking.

I think that would be a very acceptable compromise: no risk of hitting anything, not as good as true Active Track but good enough in many situations. If the pilot also had the ability to move the drone while it's tracking, it would be ideal.
2020-2-1
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-1 15:21
It worked for some .

https://youtu.be/aoaxKH1zjsI

not sure I get what you mean.  AT is great.  But the OA feature was pretty useless as the spark only had front sensors.  In the video you posted, OA would have only worked on one clip...i think when it was following.  When from front on, or profile mode, there is no OA
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cookster670 Posted at 2-2 02:40
not sure I get what you mean.  AT is great.  But the OA feature was pretty useless as the spark only had front sensors.  In the video you posted, OA would have only worked on one clip...i think when it was following.  When from front on, or profile mode, there is no OA

OA Is there to protect people not the craft and it works just fine on spark, but if your expecting it to save your craft don’t .
2020-2-2
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 02:47
OA Is there to protect people not the craft and it works just fine on spark, but if your expecting it to save your craft don’t .

It doesn’t work fine if you are in profile mode.  
It doesn’t work fine if it’s tracking backwards.

OA on the spark is limited to Normal mode from the front only.  I had a few crashes on the spark (my fault) because of the lack of 360 OA.

It’s also been pointed out that the Mini already does AT in QuickShots mode, so DJI have already decided that OA is not a prerequisite for for AT.  Its only people on this forum who have made that connection based on opinions only.
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cookster670 Posted at 2-2 03:45
It doesn’t work fine if you are in profile mode.  
It doesn’t work fine if it’s tracking backwards.

Again your missing my point, OA is first and foremost to protect person or property being tracked, and you can walk up to craft in AT it will move backwards protecting you from getting hurt, when it’s flying behind OA protects you, when it’s flying sideways it can’t hit you because your to one side, yes I know it’s pretty poor spotting obstacles but try it once your in the square it’s pretty good .
2020-2-2
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 03:56
Again your missing my point, OA is first and foremost to protect person or property being tracked, and you can walk up to craft in AT it will move backwards protecting you from getting hurt, when it’s flying behind OA protects you, when it’s flying sideways it can’t hit you because your to one side, yes I know it’s pretty poor spotting obstacles but try it once your in the square it’s pretty good .

I see the point your making now, but in all the years I’ve seen OA and AT described, I have never seen OA described as a protection mechanism for the pilot during AT.    It’s far more likely to be an incidental benefit.   If that were the reason, then why bother with 360 OA at all as front on only should be all the protection required.  It’s a pretty long bow to draw really.

Unless you can point me to an article  from DJI,  I’m not convinced that the two are as closely linked as you would have me believe.

And back to my point.  If OA was so important to AT, then they wouldn’t have QuickShots on the mini.

It’s far more likely that it’s either a marketing decision (to ensure they don’t lose Mavic Air sales) or they just ran out of time and will include it later.    It’s very common for DJI to release a product then add features later.   The Mavic was missing features of the spark when it came out....after much complaining by Mavic users, (or perhaps it was in the roadmap anyway) DJI did add the feature later.   I think it was AT or Gesture Control
2020-2-2
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 03:56
Again your missing my point, OA is first and foremost to protect person or property being tracked, and you can walk up to craft in AT it will move backwards protecting you from getting hurt, when it’s flying behind OA protects you, when it’s flying sideways it can’t hit you because your to one side, yes I know it’s pretty poor spotting obstacles but try it once your in the square it’s pretty good .

And another thought...i can’t test anymore as I sold my spark, but I’d bet that OA doesn’t even come into effect during AT.

OA has a limited range, presumably much less than AT, so it would be AT that would be keeping the distance from the subject, not AT.  I suspect AT is effectively doing OA on it’s own.

I do however suspect we can do on for hours with our opinion and reasoning, but the fact is that we will never know unless DJI decide to chime in with their official reasoning.
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cookster670 Posted at 2-2 04:16
I see the point your making now, but in all the years I’ve seen OA and AT described, I have never seen OA described as a protection mechanism for the pilot during AT.    It’s far more likely to be an incidental benefit.   If that were the reason, then why bother with 360 OA at all as front on only should be all the protection required.  It’s a pretty long bow to draw really.

Unless you can point me to an article  from DJI,  I’m not convinced that the two are as closely linked as you would have me believe.

OA is needed to operate AT correctly.

Scenario, No OA, your running being tracked you stop suddenly craft needs to stop or it’s going to hit you , so craft needs OA to stop AT doesn’t have a brake . Many think because some intelligent modes seem to track you that that’s enough, but try it and try running straight up to the drone and see what happens, you’ll be luck if you don’t lose an eye, OA is extremely important for active track .

Tracking from the front sensors continue to move drone back as you walk towards it, but with no OA you’ll walk straight into the props , this is why OA is needed .

Gesture control works off same sensors , there are no sensors on the front of mini,  I think they could add more intelligent modes.
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cookster670 Posted at 2-2 04:25
And another thought...i can’t test anymore as I sold my spark, but I’d bet that OA doesn’t even come into effect during AT.

OA has a limited range, presumably much less than AT, so it would be AT that would be keeping the distance from the subject, not AT.  I suspect AT is effectively doing OA on it’s own.

OA IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT IN AT AS EXPLAINED ABOVE.
2020-2-2
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

Akirasho Posted at 2-1 14:55
legal....  without obstacle avoidance on the Mini. US Lawyers would FEAST!

Complete BS
2020-2-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

While I wouldn´t pay for it, if they add it, cool, but other addons seem more appealing, specially expanding camera options.
2020-2-2
Use props
WrongWay Feldman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

I had the option to pay for it when I decided to buy a drone, I decided I didn't need it so I bought the less expensive Mini.
2020-2-2
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Yes, I have looked for a drone without AT and found the mini ;-)) I don't need ATt and don't even know what to do with it.
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jonny007 Posted at 2-2 11:18
Yes, I have looked for a drone without AT and found the mini ;-)) I don't need ATt and don't even know what to do with it.

You spend your days looking over your shoulder or searching in trees lol ;+)::::——-
2020-2-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 11:29
You spend your days looking over your shoulder or searching in trees lol ;+)::::——-

I can see that.
Have hardly used the Quickshots but the first few attempts were scary, mini goes fast with the spiral orbit... had to stop 85% of the attempts.

Ive been practicing manual tracking and is hard, but doable, nothing fancy just parallel moves or flowing a subject, originally I thought a Quickshot would be better but even the quickshots aren't 100% perfect.

Kind of like the fact the mini does not have sensors and AT, it forces me to learn and do things manually. In a camera I do all manually, with sound design too, I hate the ¨preset¨concept so this fits my workflow, only missing some manual settings over camera both in video and photo.
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-2 11:49
I can see that.
Have hardly used the Quickshots but the first few attempts were scary, mini goes fast with the spiral orbit... had to stop 85% of the attempts.

Yeah and who knows when dji release sdk they promised to we might get the option to use litchi which is a really good waypoint app and suited to craft with longer battery like mini .
2020-2-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Christian U Posted at 2-1 13:13

I can use that for several video types. Good idea.
2020-2-2
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-1 15:21
It worked for some .

https://youtu.be/aoaxKH1zjsI

That is so dangerous....
2020-2-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 12:01
Yeah and who knows when dji release sdk they promised to we might get the option to use litchi which is a really good waypoint app and suited to craft with longer battery like mini .

That's cool, using waypoints as some sort of alternative to active track.
2020-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Guorium Posted at 2-3 03:09
That is so dangerous....

Agree with you on that.
2020-2-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 12:01

No new info on release of SDK on DJI GitHub.  Last comment by DJI Stephen was release in  Apr 2020.  

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 755&pid=2051022

With other DJI drones has it taken 6 months to have the SDK released?  
2020-2-3
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules