Anyone try the new Pix4Dmapper app for the P2v+?
4230 6 2014-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Buckyflyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34780 ft
Argentina

Hi phantom 2 vision plus pilots, anyone that had been trying the new Pix4Dmapper app?..... I download the app on my android smart phone and my android Tablet but after conected with the phantom network the app goes out, and stops.... so I dont try it on the field yet...   So anyone with a good experience with it?...
2014-11-17
Use props
Buckyflyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34780 ft
Argentina

So?.... no one yet?.....
2014-11-18
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I have downloaded the App, but the free version is very restricted and to be honest I am not sure I will ever use it.
Having said that I have not used the Vision Ground Station either, as I prefer to be the one in control.
2014-11-18
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

It installed easilly and they have a guided tour which demonstrates a lot of the features.  I've I've been tinkering with it a little while and I have a basic understanding of what it's supposed to do but it's a lot more complex to use than just making a few mouse clicks.
I wasn't aware the Phantom 2 Vision + camera actually encodes the GPS coordinates in each still image and the Pix4Dmapper can use this data to create it's maps.  I've done a couple of flights taking overlapping photos of an area so I can try it out but even with 8-10 satellites the Pix4Dmapper is not integrating the images like it should or either my GPS data is a little off -- still trying to crack the code on that one.  It also has a feature where you can designate manual GCPs (Ground Control Points) so you can tell it where there is a common point in the images but I just haven't figured out how to control all the "bells, whistles and flashing lights" just yet.

Basically I'm still just blundering about at this point but hey, I was blunding around when I was still learning to fly the Phantoms.  It looks like it will be a really useful tool once I get a better grasp of how to use it!

Pix4Dmapper_GuidedTour.jpg
2014-11-19
Use props
dump
lvl.1

United Kingdom

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-11-19 16:35
It installed easilly and they have a guided tour which demonstrates a lot of the features.  I've I'v ...

Perhaps it's something to do with making it "easier" to make terrain models, but really, I don't see the point of this app.

I was creating terrain models on only my second day out with my PV2+ and its stock camera just over a month ago. All one needs is some photogrammetry software (and what's even better, you can use said software for other types of photogrammetry - something you can't do with this app). I manually flew it and just took shots at fairly regular positions - that's all that is required.

2014-11-19
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Perhaps you can share with us what your "said software" might be.  Heck, if there's something better and it's got even more tricks up it's sleeve I could perhaps be easily influenced into another direction.
2014-11-19
Use props
dump
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Here you go:

http://www.agisoft.com/

and here's an example I made on my second day with my Phantom:

https://twitter.com/cbnewham/status/522082277342593024
2014-11-20
Use props
Advanced