Flight distance : 45459 ft
United Kingdom

media removed

2020-2-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. Upon checking the video this is normal since the drone's camera is facing the sun and you will notice that once the camera tilted down the effect of the light was reduced which caused the color to change. Just a friendly reminder, you may need to use an ND filter whenever you are taking or shooting video footage that is facing the sun to reduce the effect on your videos. Thank you.
2020-2-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Two things combining here to cause the problem. You are shooting towards the sun, and there is lens flare in the top of frame that is shining on the sensor, even though it does not necessarily show in the video. And the mini has auto-colour temperature setting, that has been triggered by the flare to produce an erroneous setting.
2020-2-3
Use props
42Neil
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Another good example of why we ideally need manual white balance control or at least an Auto WB lock function.
2020-2-3
Use props
mockingbird_71
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks for the feedback geebax  ! I will pass on your thoughts to the friends who are having the same issue ! And will have a look again next time we are out flying ?
2020-2-3
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Not only you can expect lens flare but also photosites filter reflection inside a sensor module... they usually appear as confused circles of colors in the picture.

For my experience MM has a moderately good resistance to flare and the effect is quite pleasant but quite present since the lens is rather flush, thus getting light rays even at steeper angles. The best solution that I can think of is getting add-on ND and PL filters which I have and I feel they help quite a bit with that.

Sometimes flare is just natural and I feel it doesn't get in the way, thus giving a scale of how hard the light really is.
2020-2-3
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You can thank automatic white balance for that.
2020-2-3
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 787152 ft
Malaysia

yup, experienced the same thing, was shooting an aerial view of the stadium, the track colour changed plenty when i move away from it...
Sad thing is cant do anything about it until DJI decided to update and add features in their FW...
We will need to live with this...
2020-2-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jim_H Posted at 2-3 21:32
yup, experienced the same thing, was shooting an aerial view of the stadium, the track colour changed plenty when i move away from it...
Sad thing is cant do anything about it until DJI decided to update and add features in their FW...
We will need to live with this...

"We will need to live with this..."

Not if you are using a half-decent editor to post produce your footage. The better editors allow you to change the colour temperature.
2020-2-3
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

It is "normal" for Mini with current firmware/app and auto WB...
2020-2-3
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Malaysia

Geebax Posted at 2-3 21:36
"We will need to live with this..."

Not if you are using a half-decent editor to post produce your footage. The better editors allow you to change the colour temperature.

that's true.. but too much of a hassle..
should make more noise for DJI to listen i guess?
2020-2-4
Use props
mockingbird_71
Second Officer
United Kingdom

From my experience dji don’t listen ! Especially to customer feedback ! I’ve been waiting months for feedback on my iPad issue ! An iPad that’s on their own approved list fails to run the go 3 software , disconnecting the live view and all the other ! Settings ! Sending them videos and lusts of app versions and all other kinds of files ! No response what so ever !  
2020-2-4
Use props
mockingbird_71
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Duplicate post
2020-2-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Jim_H Posted at 2-4 00:22
that's true.. but too much of a hassle..
should make more noise for DJI to listen i guess?

You say to much hassle, but surely it would be the same hassle filiming into the sun if suddenly the sun was covered by the cloud, filming with drones is never simple and nearly always requires post work, unless your happy with what you get out of the camera, which is fine, white balance lock won’t take care of all the woes people think it will .
2020-2-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

mockingbird_71 Posted at 2-4 07:32
From my experience dji don’t listen ! Especially to customer feedback ! I’ve been waiting months for feedback on my iPad issue ! An iPad that’s on their own approved list fails to run the go 3 software , disconnecting the live view and all the other ! Settings ! Sending them videos and lusts of app versions and all other kinds of files ! No response what so ever !

What’s go3 ?
2020-2-4
Use props
mockingbird_71
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-4 08:26
What’s go3 ?

Dji go app version 3 used on the phantom 3 pro!
2020-2-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

mockingbird_71 Posted at 2-4 09:15
Dji go app version 3 used on the phantom 3 pro!

Ok got ya .
2020-2-4
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Malaysia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-4 08:24
You say to much hassle, but surely it would be the same hassle filiming into the sun if suddenly the sun was covered by the cloud, filming with drones is never simple and nearly always requires post work, unless your happy with what you get out of the camera, which is fine, white balance lock won’t take care of all the woes people think it will .

well.. just need to figure out a way to work around it i guess, ie not shooting directly to sun, change composition etc..
all tools have it's pro and cons..
2020-2-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

42Neil Posted at 2-3 13:57
Another good example of why we ideally need manual white balance control or at least an Auto WB lock function.

This would not (completely) solve the issues.
The internal lens flare would still make a greenish overcast on parts of the frame (depending on the angle the light hits the lens)
But I agree I would most certainly want a drone that has manual mode in video.
(and AEB)
2020-2-5
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

i actually like the effect of passing through a lens flare from the sun, I use it quite often in my films. The WB changing because of that flare would indeed totally ruin the shot.
2020-2-5
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with many of the comments about the changing white balance here.  DJI really needs to give us back manual control in video like they do in photo mode.  As some have mentioned here, it doesn't fix the problem for all scenes, but being able to lock the white balance would make it easier to control many scenes and give a bit more predictability in other scenes.
2020-2-5
Use props
mockingbird_71
Second Officer
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 2-5 07:04
I agree with many of the comments about the changing white balance here.  DJI really needs to give us back manual control in video like they do in photo mode.  As some have mentioned here, it doesn't fix the problem for all scenes, but being able to lock the white balance would make it easier to control many scenes and give a bit more predictability in other scenes.

They need to sort out the issues with distance first im getting weak signal warnings at less tan 100 metres which says to me the firmware needs tweeking, I dont use dji support anymore as the tech dept dont respond to your issues anyway. sending videos and logs and never get back to you!

yes the picture adnd white balance would be a great addition. there are lots of things that could be done if DJI listen to the feedback.
2020-2-6
Use props
mockingbird_71
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 2-5 06:47
i actually like the effect of passing through a lens flare from the sun, I use it quite often in my films. The WB changing because of that flare would indeed totally ruin the shot.

I was trying to capture the shadows from the arches more than anything ! it was a great video in my opinion. like has been said maybe dji need to listen to feedback from its customers, and give a level of control to the end user .
2020-2-6
Use props
mockingbird_71
Second Officer
United Kingdom

So does anyone on the forum know if dji are working on re introducing manual white balance to the fly app whilst using the mavic mini?
2020-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules