Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A Day on Catalina Island with Mavic Mini and Mavic 2 Pro
5966 29 2020-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

On my last trip to California, I hopped onto a ferry to Santa Catalina island with my Mavic Mini and Mavic 2 Pro. I flew them around the town of Avalon on the island, and to no suprise to me, both Mavic Mini and Mavic 2 Pro performed outstandingly. The MM was able to climb tall hills with ease and travel as far as his big brother the Mavic 2 Pro, while Mavic 2 Pro's 1 inch sensor captured the Avalon's beachfront in the evening beautifully. The M2P has become my go to drone for low light situations. Take a look at it, constructive criticism is welcome.

On the subject of Catalina island, I have found this picture below, has anyone seen it? It's very similar to the new Mac OS Catalina's wallpaper, but look closer. A great adver for DJI. Believe me, it's real.

Picture credit: Andrew Levitt

Picture credit: Andrew Levitt
2020-2-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool footage and a fantastic shot. I subbed your channel
Here's mine:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCafytSDKNZGQkr4ZvE7MMWQ
2020-2-4
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2-4 05:29
Cool footage and a fantastic shot. I subbed your channel
Here's mine:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCafytSDKNZGQkr4ZvE7MMWQ

Hi Woe, thank! I did like wise. It's really not a channel but a place to put my occasional video in.  
2020-2-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2-4 05:33
Hi Woe, thank! I did like wise. It's really not a channel but a place to put my occasional video in.

We all get better with time. Just keep them coming
2020-2-4
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

absolutely beautiful.
2020-2-4
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cal Evans Posted at 2-4 05:41
absolutely beautiful.

Thanks Cal! Catalina island is made for drones and a class G airspace too!
2020-2-4
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Nice idea. I just embellished my desktop background a bit.
IMG_4583.JPG
2020-2-4
Use props
Mortensldk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Nice Video!
2020-2-4
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Mortensldk!
2020-2-4
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DaMa Posted at 2-4 07:50

I like your monitors setup.
2020-2-4
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

By the way, if you want to know how they recreated the Mac OS Catalina wallpaper

2020-2-4
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Great, thank you very much. Be careful, the channel is addictive
2020-2-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nie footage,  Did you see the video how that shot was done -
2020-2-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PS, I subscribed to your channel,  feel free to checkout mine - http://www.youtube.com/DAFlys
2020-2-5
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-5 02:11
PS, I subscribed to your channel,  feel free to checkout mine - http://www.youtube.com/DAFlys

Likewise, Great videos, I will spend a Sunday afternoon to watch them on my Roku.
2020-2-5
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Really nice video very well done, shame we can't set the WB on the mini as I think the footage would of looked similar, any color correction going on with the mini's clips?
2020-2-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent footage of Catalina Island.  Thanks for sharing.
2020-2-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DaMa Posted at 2-4 07:50

Wow, what an awesome monitor setup.  
2020-2-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice work.
Yeah, I have seen the video about those guys re-making all the all the Apple wallpapers
Very cool!
2020-2-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I subscribed to your channel.
Mine is http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
2020-2-5
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 2-5 06:15
Really nice video very well done, shame we can't set the WB on the mini as I think the footage would of looked similar, any color correction going on with the mini's clips?

Yes, I tried to color correct on some of the shots in post, but it just ended up making it worst. I have not gotten a hang of working with my video editor software. In the memorial monument footage, it ended up a little too warm.
2020-2-5
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-5 06:25
Wow, what an awesome monitor setup.

Thanks DowntownRDB!
2020-2-5
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2-5 06:26
Nice work.
Yeah, I have seen the video about those guys re-making all the all the Apple wallpapers
Very cool!

Thanks for your kind words. Thank you for watching.
2020-2-5
Use props
Roy Rogers™
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Great Footage and beautiful location !
I Liked ,Subscribed to your YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1_qgV2AZP377D62rtg2kRA  Here is mine and I'd be happy to have Ya
2020-2-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Maxi3D Posted at 2-5 14:05
Thanks for your kind words. Thank you for watching.

My pleasure!
2020-2-6
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Roy Rogers™ Posted at 2-6 03:04
Great Footage and beautiful location !
I Liked ,Subscribed to your YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1_qgV2AZP377D62rtg2kRA  Here is mine and I'd be happy to have Ya

Cool videos Roy! I did the same with your channel. I was recommend on a video site that featured only drone videos. It's like YouTube, but for drone videos. It's called AirVuz.
2020-2-6
Use props
Sir_KevinChong
lvl.2
Flight distance : 585650 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great shots, man! Just a question... how were you able to get your drone on Catalina Express? I'm going to Catalina next Saturday and leaving from Long Beach. I see that Lithium batteries are not allowed. Did you have a work around for this?
2021-7-4
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Very nice views of Catalina Island.  I live in the Los Angeles area, so Catalina is close.  As a fixed wing pilot, flying to the airport on top of the mountain on Catalina (called the "Airport in the sky") is a regular destination for lunch.  Back in my single days, it made a very unique date!  I have flown a Cessna all around the island, but have not been over there since I had a drone.

@Sir_KevinChong Interesting wording on they website about batteries being prohibited.  They way it is worded, would imply that the battery in every cellphone would be prohibited.  Obviously not the case.  You also can't carry a bottle of water either according to the web site.  However that is in a section listed for baggage.  I am going to suspect that it is talking about checked baggage as opposed to carry on (similar concept as airline travel).  I would give them a call to find out.
2021-7-4
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sir_KevinChong Posted at 7-4 00:23
Great shots, man! Just a question... how were you able to get your drone on Catalina Express? I'm going to Catalina next Saturday and leaving from Long Beach. I see that Lithium batteries are not allowed. Did you have a work around for this?

Hello, Kevin, I hope you have found that bring one's drone on boarding the Catalina Express is not an issue at all. I kept my drones in my camera bag during the trip and no one even bother to check.
2021-8-3
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

K6CCC Posted at 7-4 09:53
Very nice views of Catalina Island.  I live in the Los Angeles area, so Catalina is close.  As a fixed wing pilot, flying to the airport on top of the mountain on Catalina (called the "Airport in the sky") is a regular destination for lunch.  Back in my single days, it made a very unique date!  I have flown a Cessna all around the island, but have not been over there since I had a drone.

@Sir_KevinChong Interesting wording on they website about batteries being prohibited.  They way it is worded, would imply that the battery in every cellphone would be prohibited.  Obviously not the case.  You also can't carry a bottle of water either according to the web site.  However that is in a section listed for baggage.  I am going to suspect that it is talking about checked baggage as opposed to carry on (similar concept as airline travel).  I would give them a call to find out.

Bring drones on board the Catalina Express is a non-issue. I love the island, it is almost magical when I hike up the ridge of the canyon and look down upon the ocean on both sides of the island. Go in the Winter and not during summer.  
2021-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules