Can The DJI Mavic 2 connect to the internet?
4440 22 2020-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can DJI dtones connect to the internet as will be required by the FAA?   I keep hearing how wrong it is, but it will most likely happen.  Can DJI drones comply with the FAAs proposal or are we out of luck?   I don’t get any response from DJIon this.  I’m  happy  that DJI thinks the proposal goes to far, but if it hapoens can our drones comply..

DJOS top legal guy talks about how we shouldn’t have to pay for the service but never talks about if our drones can comply .
2020-2-7
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

The internet connection as specified in the NPRM will be provided by your smartphone, not the drone itself. The DJI drones have all of the infrastructure to meet the requirements of the NPRM and it feasible and quite likely that a firmware update will make existing DJI drones compatible with NPRM.
2020-2-7
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you..  I hope you are 100% correct.  The way I understood it was that both your remote (which I thought meant phone or smart remote)  and the drone itself  had to connect through WiFi.  
2020-2-7
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wow  I think you are correct..  there is so much misinformation and nonsense out there.   I read up on message elements and they can be transmitted from the uav or remote/tablet..   

So I guess aside from watching us in real time or sending out tickets if they see us fly above 400ft which I don’t think they will be going)  the big problems are privacy and paying for a service per drone..  and WiFi  for some..

I’m back to thinking this isn’t as bad as people are making it.

2020-2-7
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

NightThunder Posted at 2-7 10:46
The internet connection as specified in the NPRM will be provided by your smartphone, not the drone itself. The DJI drones have all of the infrastructure to meet the requirements of the NPRM and it feasible and quite likely that a firmware update will make existing DJI drones compatible with NPRM.

I’m back again..  if the drone can not connect directly to the internet that would be considered limited Id  and you can only fly 400 ft away..  

So to fly freely like we do now it is not okay to transmit from your phone and the drone can not comply with FAA
2020-2-13
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It would be so nice if we could get clarification from DJI  regarding what they will do for us if the FAA  goes forward with the proposal as is..
2020-2-13
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
United States

JJMik Posted at 2-13 08:24
It would be so nice if we could get clarification from DJI  regarding what they will do for us if the FAA  goes forward with the proposal as is..

Here is your clarification. All good news!!!

2020-2-13
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

NightThunder Posted at 2-13 13:17
Here is your clarification. All good news!!!

Is there something there about standard ID?  I’m working and can’t get through it all. Right now. without the ability for the drone itself to communicate through WiFi,  we can only use limited ID  which means flying at an AMA field in 400 ft radius.    So my question is ... Will Dji provide us with a solution that meets Standsrd ID OR will our $1400 drones be limited to 400 ft radius at an AMA FIELd?
2020-2-13
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
United States

JJMik Posted at 2-13 14:22
Is there something there about standard ID?  I’m working and can’t get through it all. Right now. without the ability for the drone itself to communicate through WiFi,  we can only use limited ID  which means flying at an AMA field in 400 ft radius.    So my question is ... Will Dji provide us with a solution that meets Standsrd ID OR will our $1400 drones be limited to 400 ft radius at an AMA FIELd?

Standard RID. The drone itself does NOT need to have internet connection. It will be done through your phone. I feel pretty confident that all DJI drones can be made RID compliant with a simple software upgrade. Also, you will NOT be limit to a 400' radius. If we could somehow get the FAA to drop the internet connection than there would  be no need a limited category for DJI drones and perhaps many other drones as well.
2020-2-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

NightThunder Posted at 2-13 14:32
Standard RID. The drone itself does NOT need to have internet connection. It will be done through your phone. I feel pretty confident that all DJI drones can be made RID compliant with a simple software upgrade. Also, you will NOT be limit to a 400' radius. If we could somehow get the FAA to drop the internet connection than there would  be no need a limited category for DJI drones and perhaps many other drones as well.

Those using a tablet on their RC or those using the DJI displays or smart controllers will not be able to contact the Internet, so it is a flawed solution anyway.
2020-2-13
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2-13 14:57
Those using a tablet on their RC or those using the DJI displays or smart controllers will not be able to contact the Internet, so it is a flawed solution anyway.

True. I am NOT a proponent of internet connection and your clarification is well taken. I don't have a DJI smart controller. Are you saying that the smart controller cannot connect to the internet?
2020-2-13
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Currently,  when operating in an " Authorization Zone"  you need to have a Hotspot/cell connection to be logged into your DJI Account be fore you can unlock that area for flight.

That in itself is an internet connection.

Randy
2020-2-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

NightThunder Posted at 2-13 15:02
True. I am NOT a proponent of internet connection and your clarification is well taken. I don't have a DJI smart controller. Are you saying that the smart controller cannot connect to the internet?

No, it has a WiFi connection only, no cell capability.
2020-2-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

rwynant V1 Posted at 2-13 15:05
Currently,  when operating in an " Authorization Zone"  you need to have a Hotspot/cell connection to be logged into your DJI Account be fore you can unlock that area for flight.

That in itself is an internet connection.

We don't really have to deal with those zones here in Australia.
2020-2-13
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2-13 15:12
We don't really have to deal with those zones here in Australia.

Yup,  The FAA is a USA entity, so I would believe not.

It would be nice if you guys down under got some rain though!!  

Randy
2020-2-13
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I want you to be correct, but I read In the FAA proposal that for standard ID  the drone itself must be able to connect to WiFi and the remote.  Limited will be for drones which can’t connect but the remote can ..
2020-2-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

rwynant V1 Posted at 2-13 15:19
Yup,  The FAA is a USA entity, so I would believe not.

It would be nice if you guys down under got some rain though!!  

Actually, as is often the case, we have had massive amounts of rain in the last week, not only has it put the fires out, it added an incredible 30% to Sydney's water storage.
2020-2-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

JJMik Posted at 2-13 17:32
I want you to be correct, but I read In the FAA proposal that for standard ID  the drone itself must be able to connect to WiFi and the remote.  Limited will be for drones which can’t connect but the remote can ..

Yes, but what use is a WiFi connection from the drone itself? For most people, it won't connect to anything useful at all, because WiFi has a very short range.
2020-2-13
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
United States

JJMik Posted at 2-13 17:32

Not an expert on this so take this with a grain of salt.

I *think* what is tripping you up is the term WiFi. WiFi has certain frequencies it can broadcast on the DJI drones connect to the controller using WiFi frequencies. However, I believe that the data packets are not stardard IP packets. I am guessing DJI uses thier own protocol (OccuSync on some drones) that has a low latency. In any event WiFi does not mean internet in this context. It just means we are using some of the WiFi frequencies i.e. 2.4G and 5.0G.

2020-2-15
Use props
raven swe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

smart controller can hotspot to phone or you can use a 4g dongle
2020-2-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

NightThunder Posted at 2-13 15:02

Yes, they do not have cell capability and once out of local WiFi range would not be able to connect.
2020-2-15
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Telemetry from the AC to the RC/Tablet or Device will provide the AC location, Altitude from TAKE OFF POINT as well as speed and direction.....all of which is shown in the Hotspot WiFi connection that IS INFACT AN INTERNET CONNECTION.

That's it.... simple as that..... c'mon guys.   IT ALREADY EXISTS....no updates no nothing.  It is already done!!

Randy

2020-2-15
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So all those  drones the FAA considers to become obsolete don’t include DJI drones?
2020-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules