2020-2-9
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

bikoo Posted at 2-9 06:45
cool, i have used it for hyperlapse ;) great results

Thanks. Actually I was a bit afraid using such a long exposure having a bit of wind. Got some high wind warnings on the screen. I'm amazed how the Mavic holds on and still gave me sharp images.
2020-2-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have tried many exposures above 4 sec and it’s very diffficult to get all parts of photo sharp almost had to take 30 shots to get one good, this is exceptionally good.
One below was 3 seconds  ND 1000, with Mavic air it was pretty windy

2020-2-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Why ?   What do you think this has added to the image?        
2020-2-9
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Belgium

Labroides Posted at 2-9 07:23
Why ?   What do you think this has added to the image?

well on a very sunny day, even when using ISO 100, you get a quite high shutter speed. Shutter speeds above 1/125 will almost freeze any action, like the running water. To get the effect of movement of the water, you need to slow down the shutter speed.
Shutter speeds around 0,5 sec to 1 sec gives you movement of the water. Lower speeds give you a "milky" effect.
Also other objects that move, will give you a trail or even disappear from the picture.
In the case of my pictures, there were some cars on the road, which nicely disappeared. Same goes for people moving around.
2020-2-9
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nicely done!
2020-2-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JohnDG Posted at 2-9 08:54
well on a very sunny day, even when using ISO 100, you get a quite high shutter speed. Shutter speeds above 1/125 will almost freeze any action, like the running water. To get the effect of movement of the water, you need to slow down the shutter speed.
Shutter speeds around 0,5 sec to 1 sec gives you movement of the water. Lower speeds give you a "milky" effect.
Also other objects that move, will give you a trail or even disappear from the picture.

I get it when photographers make waves or waterfalls appear silky with faster motion and a much longer exposure.
I don't really see that you've done much except to have a slight amount of blurring by shooting something that was moving slowly at 0.4 sec.
If you had side-by-side shots with and without the filter, I think the without shot might look better?
2020-2-9
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

c
2020-2-9
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-9 07:16
I have tried many exposures above 4 sec and it’s very diffficult to get all parts of photo sharp almost had to take 30 shots to get one good, this is exceptionally good.

I need to start investing in some ND1000s..
2020-2-9
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-9 07:16
I have tried many exposures above 4 sec and it’s very diffficult to get all parts of photo sharp almost had to take 30 shots to get one good, this is exceptionally good.

Do you have a catalog I could look at of your work?
2020-2-9
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Belgium

Labroides Posted at 2-9 14:40
I get it when photographers make waves or waterfalls appear silky with faster motion and a much longer exposure.
I don't really see that you've done much except to have a slight amount of blurring by shooting something that was moving slowly at 0.4 sec.
If you had side-by-side shots with and without the filter, I think the without shot might look better?

Well, depending on the shutter speed you can obtain different results.
A shutter speed between 0.5 sec - 1 sec will give you this kind of showing movement and blurring some moving objects. Longer exposures of couple of seconds will give you the silky pictures of waves and waterfalls. If you like it or not depends on personal preferences.

How it would look like if no ND-filter was used ?
It would look something like this ...
same aperture, 1/400, ISO 100

2020-2-9
Use props
DH_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Thank you for sharing this till now I wasn't much aware what is possible to be done with those filters. I think it is especically usable when taking shots with water right? Are there any other scenarios which would look like so nice either?
2020-2-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice shots,  does the ND1000 make it super dark to see where you are going or do you just ramp up the ISO?
2020-2-10
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Belgium

DH_Pilot Posted at 2-9 22:30
Thank you for sharing this till now I wasn't much aware what is possible to be done with those filters. I think it is especically usable when taking shots with water right? Are there any other scenarios which would look like so nice either?

Most of the time it is used for water, but it has an influence on all moving objects. People moving around get blurred or even disappear depending on the shutter speed. You can see a faint red stripe on the bridge on one of my photos. That was a red car.
Blurring people can also be an advantage if you want to publish the pictures and avoid being in violence with European privacy laws.
2020-2-10
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Belgium

DAFlys Posted at 2-10 01:53
Nice shots,  does the ND1000 make it super dark to see where you are going or do you just ramp up the ISO?

Because you made the light less with the ND, you changed already the shutter speed. So, you get more light because of the slow shutter. Pumping up the ISO will cause more noise.
The idea is a low ISO, same apperture, but slow down the shutter. In the case of my pictures that is ISO 100, f4 and 0.6 sec shutter speed.
Flying a drone with a dark screen would be a disaster. Do the settings before you fly of and have good view.
2020-2-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JohnDG Posted at 2-10 04:34
Because you made the light less with the ND, you changed already the shutter speed. So, you get more light because of the slow shutter. Pumping up the ISO will cause more noise.
The idea is a low ISO, same apperture, but slow down the shutter. In the case of my pictures that is ISO 100, f4 and 0.6 sec shutter speed.
Flying a drone with a dark screen would be a disaster. Do the settings before you fly of and have good view.

Ah OK,  so its not need to jump the ISO up to be able to fly.  thanks
2020-2-10
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Belgium

DAFlys Posted at 2-10 08:29

no, absolutely not. You get normal vision on the display. Taking a picture, whoever, will take a longer time.
2020-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 2-10 08:29

Just lower your shutter it will go as low as 8 seconds , long exposures with drones can be hit and miss I recommend minimum 20 shots to get a couple a decent , 8 sec is very long for drone, but from half second to 3 second works pretty good .
2020-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules