Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Total video loss or unit went into failsafe
13168 34 2020-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffgalgoyahoo.com
lvl.1
Guam

I have complete DJI FPV set-up including controller, goggles, and air unit all updated with the latest firmware. I had an Iflight 5 inch drone using T-motor F7 stack, T-motor Hom 1750 kv motors, a capacitor on battery pads and using no third party receivers running on a 6s battery with 2 battery straps securing battery. I had over 20 successul test flights which included range testing with no issues. Today, I was cliff diving over the ocean 2 minutes into my flight while doing a power loop over the cliff and I had complete video loss or possibly the air unit went into failsafe with no warning signs like pixelations whatsoever. Unfortunately, I loss the quad and fell into the ocean. Extreme 128 megabyte micro SD card only in air unit and no SD card in my DJI FPV goggles. The quad was no more than 200 yards away when I loss total video signal and total loss of stick control on my tx I went immediately to acro mode to self-level when this occured with no success. No other analog pilots plugged in. Just my analog pilot friend and I were there at that location that day. We were spotting each other taking turns flying solo. We were never plugged in at the same during my uneventful flight. Has there been any other DJI FPV pilots experiencing this issue? Hopefully a DJI FPV series moderator can chime in. Thanks.
2020-2-9
Use props
mc54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

I had this happen 3 times before I stopped recording on the air unit.  It hasn't happened since.
And yes, I was using a Sandisk Extreme SD card.  I suspect it is more prone to happen on with a SD card that is getting full or wasn't formatted in the air unit.

Now I stick to recording just on the goggles, no problem.  I'd love.to continue recording on the air unit, but I'd want to be sure the issue was acknowledged by DJI and addressed in a firmware update first.

2020-2-10
Use props
GeoffGFPV
lvl.1
Guam

mc54 Posted at 2-10 05:40
I had this happen 3 times before I stopped recording on the air unit.  It hasn't happened since.
And yes, I was using a Sandisk Extreme SD card.  I suspect it is more prone to happen on with a SD card that is getting full or wasn't formatted in the air unit.

I hope that DJI gets the attention of this issue and fix this problem as soon as possible. I saw other forum members having similar problems with freeze frame and total loss of video signal. For the time being, I will definitely not have a micro SD card in my other air unit and only in my DJI FPV goggles. I am glad I went to this forum and find helpful members like you. Thanks for you help. Much appreciated.
2020-2-10
Use props
schl0r
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have had this too last weekend. Running the Infinity 30 Stack F4 and DJI FPV kit on the latest firmware. Video just froze mid flight, not even 100m away from me. I didnt know what happened at first but was able to reproduce this 3 more times whenever I did flips and I remembered being in the middle of a flip when it happened first time too. I was assuming voltage spikes etc - but I was not able to reproduce with 100% throttle punch outs.
My understanding was that the issue with the SD card writing causing crashes was solved with a previous fw upgrade though? And how likely is it that a certain flight maneuver would cause SD card writing issues?
2020-2-10
Use props
schl0r
lvl.2

United Kingdom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQbWWaEHxU  

This might help. I haven't used a cap so far and ordered a bunch.
2020-2-10
Use props
GeoffGFPV
lvl.1
Guam

schl0r Posted at 2-10 16:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQbWWaEHxU  

This might help. I haven't used a cap so far and ordered a bunch.

I follow Furadi. Awesome FPV pilot. His video gives a great explanation on using caps on his builds especially for his HD builds due to high voltage spikes. I will mostly like put an extra cap on the 9v pad that feed power into my DJI air unit and continue to use a cap on the battery power leads which has been common practice for my builds in the past. Thanks for the link.
2020-2-10
Use props
llbr22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 253087 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maiden flight, not more then 200 yards away, same thing just happened to me. Recording on the goggles and air unit.

Subsequent flights were fine but I kept it close and flew easy since it’s a new build.

I’m definitely going to try not recording on the air unit.
2020-2-14
Use props
GeoffGFPV
lvl.1
Guam

llbr22 Posted at 2-14 07:02
Maiden flight, not more then 200 yards away, same thing just happened to me. Recording on the goggles and air unit.

Subsequent flights were fine but I kept it close and flew easy since it’s a new build.

Glad you were able to save your quad especially on your maiden. Until this gets all sorted out, I agree that I will not be recording on my air unit for now and just record on my DJI goggles.
2020-2-14
Use props
llbr22
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Update: I was doing some range testing today, and I got approx. 1/4 mile away, full LOS, then video froze and I got a failsafe. this is WITHOUT the SD card in the Air Unit. I was at 700mw.  I don't think this i a very RF heavy environment, but not totally sure.

I'm pretty sure the first time it happened, I flew over a hill crest and that probably affected it a bit, but I was only 200 yards away.

Should I see more picture breakup, or my bars drop to 2 or 1, or Mbp speed drop down to under 20 before I lose signal? None of that happened.

My setup
GepRC MK4 HD5 Frame
6S
iFlight SucceX-D F7 stack for DJI HD
iFlight ZING 2208 1800Kv
DJI controller

2020-2-18
Use props
GeoffGFPV
lvl.1
Guam

llbr22 Posted at 2-18 11:43
Update: I was doing some range testing today, and I got approx. 1/4 mile away, full LOS, then video froze and I got a failsafe. this is WITHOUT the SD card in the Air Unit. I was at 700mw.  I don't think this i a very RF heavy environment, but not totally sure.

I'm pretty sure the first time it happened, I flew over a hill crest and that probably affected it a bit, but I was only 200 yards away.

Interesting. We have a very similar set-up even up to the point of using 6s batteries. That is the problem with the DJI air unit with its built-in vtx and rx. You can lose both rx signal and video signal at the same time and you can lose total control of your quad with no video or stick inputs. I have a build that will have a TBS crossfire nano for rx using RSSI and LQ for Telemetry on OSD to avoid getting a failsafe in the future which can determine RF heavy environments. I will still have builds using DJI only HD FPV system and continue to monitor for updates from DJI.
2020-2-19
Use props
cusglider
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4025801 ft
  • >>>
Lebanon

llbr22 Posted at 2-18 11:43

I'm pretty sure the first time it happened, I flew over a hill crest and that probably affected it a bit, but I was only 200 yards away.

"I flew over a hill crest "

Please remember that any radio will have problems once you drop beyond the horizon and lose LOS. So just don't provoke critical situations.

"6s"

Without special power supply the air unit rules out using 6s. In doing so anyways you take risks that are avoidable.

"RF heavy environment"

Keep an eye on the data transmission rate of the air unit (lower right on the screen). If the M/bit rates drops significantly below 10 M/bit it helps to look for "safer ground" and get out of this zone.

Usually the picture quality is so fascinating that it easily makes you cross the limits without being aware of it, until the connection breaks ...
2020-2-20
Use props
Cobaki
lvl.2

Switzerland

Same issue for me. Happened on several occasions, with and without an SD card in the air unit. Also flying 6S on a T-motor F7 stack (with a cap) and 1700kv Lumenier motors. Mostly happens during hard maneuvers like flips - but not exclusively. Holding back on any long range stuff because I'm afraid of losing my quad. I can get in twenty flights without an issue and then suddenly, video gone and failsafe as close as 30 meters away from me. There a lots of videos on youtube with people having the same issue.  
2020-2-21
Use props
djiuser_bXU91VVpTjDr
lvl.1

United States

I got full dji setup with kakute f7 board and two failsafes at about 60 yards luckily on a grass field, I'm experimenting with antenna spacing ,dji says 4 inches apart,so far better signal and hopefully stay flying
2020-2-26
Use props
llbr22
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

cusglider Posted at 2-20 12:21
"I flew over a hill crest "

Please remember that any radio will have problems once you drop beyond the horizon and lose LOS. So just don't provoke critical situations.

Thanks for the responses. My replies:
"Please remember that any radio will have problems once you drop beyond the horizon and lose LOS. So just don't provoke critical situations."

It continues to happen. without provoking by flying with obstructions.

"Without special power supply the air unit rules out using 6s. In doing so anyways you take risks that are avoidable."

My setup:
GepRC MK4 HD5 Frame
6S
iFlight SucceX-D F7 50A ESC stack for DJI HD BEC: 5V 2.5A / 9V 2.5A Input voltage:recommended 2-6S, MAX 8S
iFlight ZING 2208 1800Kv
DJI controller
Current DJI firmware

"Keep an eye on the data transmission rate of the air unit (lower right on the screen). If the M/bit rates drops significantly below 10 M/bit it helps to look for "safer ground" and get out of this zone."
See this video where it happens at 51 seconds. It never drops below 25Mbps
[color=var(--ytcp-link-color)]

I'm pretty sure there's a problem though with the power regulator and iflight is sending me another board to try. I just added a capacitor large enough for 6s (50V), so let's see if that fixes it. Unfortunately, I'm having intermittent problems keeping the DJI Air Unit in communication with the flight controller (ugh!)  

2020-2-26
Use props
djiuser_bghvh1RgnyWf
lvl.1

Taiwan

I very offen suffered same issue
But I use futaba controller and receiver.
I wonder if the conflict between futaba and Dji system, but based on information you provide, even use Dji controller, also suffered this issue.
What I will do
1. change power limit mode to max mode to check if no issue happen.
2. if item1 fail, I will change to use TBS controller and receiver to check.
2020-4-20
Use props
450crf.gmail
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Hi all I tried the air unit sometime you lose the signal immediately without any warning so I think we will go back to the analog system if you want to see the crash visit Instagram skystudiouae

2020-5-5
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

450crf.gmail Posted at 5-5 13:17
Hi all I tried the air unit sometime you lose the signal immediately without any warning so I think we will go back to the analog system if you want to see the crash visit Instagram skystudiouae

I lost my GEPRC Rocket Plus drone yesterday . 700 feet away and lost all video . I've flown the route several times with no problem . Crossfire Nano rx so never worry about radio link . I never expected the video to just go to the DJI logo all of a sudden . It's probably stuck in the low hanging limb but dang if we could spot it . Carried goggles down there but video never tried to come back . $450 lying somewhere

2020-5-15
Use props
ZhaLinth
lvl.2

Germany

Had some problems with air unit recording now and then but otherwise no video loss in the goggles or anything,
I tried to reproduce it to find out what's going on. My setup is quite power hungry, running 6S it can draw up to 140A at full throttle according to black-box and OSD.

What I found: the best way to consistently force the issues is having the battery voltage already low, below 3.9/3.8 cell voltage works best, then you have to do high powered maneuvers back to back don't give your LiPo time recover, second or third maneuver usually yields bad compression or complete stop of recording. If I use cheap LiPos its even easier.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of electronics and quads can draw a conclusion from that
2020-5-18
Use props
jeff fpv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 292900 ft
Germany

rydfree41 Posted at 5-15 10:00
I lost my GEPRC Rocket Plus drone yesterday . 700 feet away and lost all video . I've flown the route several times with no problem . Crossfire Nano rx so never worry about radio link . I never expected the video to just go to the DJI logo all of a sudden . It's probably stuck in the low hanging limb but dang if we could spot it . Carried goggles down there but video never tried to come back . $450 lying somewhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxfFSTxM5dU

Hey ,

its sucks to lose a drone, sry about that :/
I think you have too many obstacles between you and your drone(house and the forest). Trees with leaves are very problematic for the video transmission.
Do you turned off focus mode?  I do not recommend turning off focus mode. You have a little bit more time to react in such situations.
2020-5-18
Use props
franky888
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81247 ft
Indonesia

I also experienced the same issue, after more than 20 successfully flight,
it happens suddenly when flying in the wood forrest, the FPV video was freezed and I switch it to level fly mode (angle), fly higher trying to get it back, but it didn't... so I disarm and let it hit the ground to minimize search and rescue effort rather than flyaway to nowhere..
Thanks GOD, me and my friends founded it after 30 mins, supporting by video still on and the reception signal is still on.

I thought it was blocked by the leaves and branches, but this forum gave me another clue of error, I also had another Quad (iFlight DC2 HD) and the issue was recording on air unit keep stops at the middle flight, also for the DJI FPV Goggle, mostly at first flight will success but not for next flight..

Next I will put a GPS and rescue mode for insurance in case something similar happens...
2020-6-8
Use props
djiuser_hdeNU0AtPm58
lvl.1

United States

Just experienced a similar issue on my custom 5 inch with DJI fpv. Could it be due to overheating in spite of temp control?
2020-7-5
Use props
djiuser_hdeNU0AtPm58
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_hdeNU0AtPm58 Posted at 7-5 16:13
Just experienced a similar issue on my custom 5 inch with DJI fpv. Could it be due to overheating in spite of temp control?

I am going to try reverting to an older version of the firmware (1.04) and seeing if that works
2020-7-6
Use props
Emilio G Masforroll Jr.
New
United States

Having same issues like all of u guys am flying iflight whoop style A85 with caddx Vista nebula and it had a capacitor am only recording in goggles. And half the the time even 50 ft away quad falls for no reason. Now if I fly just wit the dji controller it's great but u can only do so much with LOS. Seems problem is with the fpv goggles shame.
2020-7-20
Use props
fansfb007b5f
New
United States

I just got my iflight DC3 with crossfire nano, flying within 50ft doing a roll my video cut to the DJI logo. I reproduced this when battery was close to last 20% and a slight throttle punch caused video to go dead. I disarmed and let quad drop to the mulch thankfully.  I feel like I need an analog feed on a watch as backup in case the digital gives out. Going blind mid flight sucks and I’m not gonna risk taking this anywhere irretrievable.
2020-8-1
Use props
pooljunki
lvl.2
Flight distance : 641148 ft
United States

I’m having this issue with 3 different quads switched to my Taranis controller the issue has stopped but I lost 3 quads. I have been emailing dji about it for idk probably about a month and they are basically telling me sucks to be you
2020-10-21
Use props
pooljunki
lvl.2
Flight distance : 641148 ft
United States

I’m having this issue with 3 different quads switched to my Taranis controller the issue has stopped but I lost 3 quads. I have been emailing dji about it for idk probably about a month and they are basically telling me sucks to be you
2020-10-21
Use props
Dragon CAD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194426 ft
France

Same issue here, recording on scan disk card on the air unit. i m on 4S, FC is a F4S CL, my 7 and 5.2 soldered like recommanded by armattan.

everything work perfect until i do flip. When i do a flip, it freezes and shut down,  my response is to do angle mode and limit the crash as possible.

I have no problem on my other kwad, where my air unit is directly linked to v bat 4S.on wich i don t record.

I ll test this afternoon without the sd card, we ll see what happens

2020-11-18
Use props
fansfc34da7f
New

United States

I had the same issue and found out that my wire connecting my dji air unit and camera had broken internally and it caused a complete failsafe with all signal loss and a lot of damage to my drone that fell out of the air around 50 feet. Check that cable!! Hope this helps someone.
2020-12-8
Use props
The Upper Tech
lvl.2
Flight distance : 636004 ft
United States

Similar thing happened to me yesterday after performing a powerloop able 2 minutes into my flight. Video dropped completely out & I crash landed. Running JB AIO stack with 4S LiPo. Unable to power Air Unit back on. Think it's dead.
2020-12-12
Use props
djiuser_bMHWK8j1tZmP
New

United States

I just had my 5" freestyle fail safe while hovering 1000ft away over water. 4s, no SD card in air unit, no issue with bit rate. $600 gone.
2021-4-24
Use props
djiuser_NCExszVqM1rO
lvl.2
United States

I have the new 03 air unit, the Vista unit, remote controller 2, and the goggles 2.  
My 03 units and the Vista units have fail-safed twice for reasons unknown.
Took place early in the flights less than 200 ft distant no connection issues.  The quadcopters still had power.
Completely baffled.
2023-5-2
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_NCExszVqM1rO Posted at 5-2 12:43
I have the new 03 air unit, the Vista unit, remote controller 2, and the goggles 2.  
My 03 units and the Vista units have fail-safed twice for reasons unknown.
Took place early in the flights less than 200 ft distant no connection issues.  The quadcopters still had power.

2023-5-2
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

With my DJI O3 build I used a FrSky R-XSR Ultra Receiver and a RadioMaster TX16S Mark II MAX Edition 2.4GHz 4 in 1 Transmitter, works perfectly. You do have way more set up options with Beatflight.
2023-5-2
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Lost a Transtec Bettle drone with DJI Vista onboard today in a heavily wooded area, bitrate was around 40 and in a fraction of seconds dropped in the ten's and lost video signal/control, not the first time in the area either..  $500 in the trash because I trusted Vista onboard receiver, this was the last one that I did not had separated DJI VTX  with an external  RX, bummer me. Will NEVER, EVER AGAIN use DJI Air Units as for RX only good for video transmission.  

Do not trust it, I believe the heat produced in the unit render the capabilities of enclosed RX
2023-5-7
Use props
turion b
New

Switzerland

Is still no real solution for this problem? Almost every time i do a fast flip i lose video.. it sucks so hard and i dont find a real solution anywhere. On the other 03 unit it doesnt happen.  
2023-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules