DJI Goggles vs DJI Goggles RE range
8125 13 2020-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nakaleen
lvl.1

Australia

I getting a DJI Mavic Pro platinum tonight and wish to get a DJI Goggles. I am wondering what the range is on the DJI Goggles and DJI Goggles RE as finding out info is very hard. Can the DJI Goggles reach the 7km range? If it can I'll get that one against the Goggle RE verion (if that also reach thr 7km like my drone)

Also finding out info like OcuSync, if it is analog/digital?

I'll be wishing to get the goggles in 1-2 months time but the 300 price diffrence and range is a major factor is on which one to get

p.s I only found out about the new Digital Goggles, will that work and get the range of DJI Mavic Pro platinum (again very little info as youtube videos are testing the included drone transmitter not on a DJI drone without an addon
2020-2-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Nakaleen. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry about the DJI Goggles. The DJI Goggles has a maximum transmission distance the same as the aircraft that is connected while the DJI Goggles RE has a maximum transmission distance of 2.4 GHz:7 km (FCC); 4 km (CE); 4 km (SRRC) and 5.8 GHz:4 km (FCC); 0.7 km (CE); 4 km (SRRC). In addition, the main differences between DJI Goggles Racing Edition (RE) and DJI Goggles are as follows :

1. In addition to the 2.4GHz digital transmission band, the new DJI Goggles RE also supports the 5.8GHz band, which can avoid the usual interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz.
2. DJI Goggles RE has redesigned the internal linear polarized omnidirectional antennas and added new external Pagoda antenna, a 5.8GHz single-frequency omnidirectional left hand circularly polarized (LHCP) antenna.
3. DJI Goggles RE has restructured the radio communication strategy and video decoding algorithm to lower transmission latency to 50 ms* (with wireless transmission latency of less than 10 ms), ensuring smooth and reliable video transmission and avoiding video lag and disconnection from the digital video transmission system when operating in a normal environment.
4. DJI Goggles RE supports analog transmission at any integer frequency between 5.650~5.925 GHz and analog video storage on a Micro SD card.
5. DJI Goggles RE can store digital video on a Micro SD card.
6. DJI Goggles RE supports local video playback and Sphere pano viewing, allowing users to turn their head to get a 360° view of the Sphere pano.
7. The facial pad has been redesigned and the headband has used new replaceable leather materials to make it even more comfortable to wear.
*When tested with a 480p video feed.
Thank you.
2020-2-11
Use props
Gene2
lvl.3
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-11 08:26
Hello and good day Nakaleen. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry about the DJI Goggles. The DJI Goggles has a maximum transmission distance the same as the aircraft that is connected while the DJI Goggles RE has a maximum transmission distance of 2.4 GHz:7 km (FCC); 4 km (CE); 4 km (SRRC) and 5.8 GHz:4 km (FCC); 0.7 km (CE); 4 km (SRRC). In addition, the main differences between DJI Goggles Racing Edition (RE) and DJI Goggles are as follows :

1. In addition to the 2.4GHz digital transmission band, the new DJI Goggles RE also supports the 5.8GHz band, which can avoid the usual interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz.

Please, please, please answer the following questions:
   Will Mavic Pro 2 and Zoom have normal range using the Goggles RE if I buy them today?

I am sure you are  aware that Goggles RE and Mavic Pro 2 and Zoom have had severe range    limitations over the past year.

Has the problem been fixed or what?
  Should I just buy the white goggles and try to avoid problems?

Thanks,
Gene
2020-2-11
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gene2 Posted at 2-11 13:13
Please, please, please answer the following questions:
   Will Mavic Pro 2 and Zoom have normal range using the Goggles RE if I buy them today?

Here's your answer. The Mavic Pro2/Zoom will not and I repeat will not
get that range. there have been claims that if you add the 5.8 antenna it will help
It will not. With the Zoom I have only been able to reach 1/2 mile tops.
Now with the original Mavic Pro without a doubt you can get the full range.
I have been out 3.8 miles, I got a little nervous and turn around. If you fly other
drones like racers or with 5.8 go with the RE's if not the whites ones will work.
Side note I have had the RE's since the release date.
2020-2-11
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

You can use either the white or the RE's with the platinum. You shouldn't have any range issues.
2020-2-11
Use props
Gene2
lvl.3
United States

Woe Posted at 2-11 14:48
Here's your answer. The Mavic Pro2/Zoom will not and I repeat will not
get that range. there have been claims that if you add the 5.8 antenna it will help
It will not. With the Zoom I have only been able to reach 1/2 mile tops.

Thanks,  yea I thought that was the answer.  DJI just refuses to answer or  fix the  problem for well over a year now.

Someone named German Drone TV posted a video of Mavic Mini flying with the white DJI goggles using a Wifi to HDMI dongle to duplicate the iphone picture on the goggles.  Looks like an interesting solution.

I suppose the Wifi dongle would work with Goggles RE but maybe it would be safer to just use the white goggles for an application with DJI.

Gene
2020-2-11
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Gene2 Posted at 2-11 21:28
Thanks,  yea I thought that was the answer.  DJI just refuses to answer or  fix the  problem for well over a year now.

Someone named German Drone TV posted a video of Mavic Mini flying with the white DJI goggles using a Wifi to HDMI dongle to duplicate the iphone picture on the goggles.  Looks like an interesting solution.

That I'm not sure of.
2020-2-12
Use props
KrisK
lvl.1
United States

DJI support, I am still having issues 1+ year into this. My Racing Edition goggles have limited distance 500-800 Feet when using my M2 Pro. They worked great at distance with original Mavic pro. I've been patiently waiting over a year for firmware fix, looks like that won't happen. This drone and goggles now useless to me unless there a fix. I greatly prefer the FPV for photography framing, don't care about high speed racing, just need functional at reasonable distance.   Is there a hardware fix available if I send them in?
2020-3-23
Use props
KrisK
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-11 08:26

1. In addition to the 2.4GHz digital transmission band, the new DJI Goggles RE also supports the 5.8GHz band, which can avoid the usual interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz.

DJI support, I am still having issues 1+ year into this. My Racing Edition goggles have limited distance 500-800 Feet when using my M2 Pro. They worked great at distance with original Mavic pro. I've been patiently waiting over a year for firmware fix, looks like that won't happen. This drone and goggles now useless to me unless there a fix. I greatly prefer the FPV for photography framing, don't care about high speed racing, just need functional at reasonable distance.  
Is there a hardware fix available if I send them in?
2020-3-23
Use props
ovet
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24124 ft
Indonesia

You can add external antena to goggles white to get more increase range with litle modification....
2021-1-9
Use props
ovet
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24124 ft
Indonesia

White and rc..
Screenshot_20210109-220903_Chrome.jpg
2021-1-9
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

None of those modifications are necessary. You have other problems if you're having range issues with the MP or MP2 with the goggles. I have a MP original and a MP2 which I'm currently using with the original white goggles and there is no issue with range when they're connected to the aircraft by ocusync.
I haven't tried the RE's with them yet, but since they're basically the same goggle with a little extra hardware for the air unit and analog 5.8 RX, they should be the same experience.

I haven't done any range tests, but I've gone over a mile with mine so far in just regular flying around with no issues over just using the smartphone, etc.

So you probably have something else going on. As for support for the goggles, the firmware hasn't been updated on either one in almost 3 years, so you can be pretty sure DJI isn't supporting them anymore. And will likely be discontinued in the near future. Unfortunately.... So some other means of flying FPV will have to be found. Maybe the HDMI out on the smart controller into a future set of HDMI goggles, or something like that.
I don't know if DJI will produce a replacement/upgrade for the original goggles, but I hope so. I love the 80deg. FOV; they just need an adjustable focal length and some bug fixes....
2021-1-9
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PS: I'll try my RE's today with my MP2 and see if I see an issue; I haven't tried the RE's yet .... I have all the latest/greatest firmware in both so I'll report back if I can replicate a problem.
Obviously if there is a problem it'll never be fixed, but at least I'll be able to confirm it if there is....
2021-1-9
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ok today I flew my goggles RE with my Mavic Pro 2 and had no issues. Even out to two miles away I had no problems with the video in the goggles. Clear as a bell....
2021-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules